Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Involved in Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness Week and WIN an iPad Mini!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

So I was in college today, I turned up over an hour early because of some confusion. So I drove around for about 15 minutes before finding a space. I noticed the same girl drove past me about 5 times looking for a space while I sat in my car. She couldnt find a space as its practically impossible to do after 11ish, it was going 5 past 12 so she was about to be late for her class.  So I seen her coming again, drove out of my space and let her have it, she most likely thought I was just going home. I drove a few minutes up the road and walked back. 

It was cold out, so I did kind of regret my actions :P 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kelseyphelan

I'm going to give blood today! #poweringkindness

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I saw an old lady getting off the bus with two heavy bags clearly not having an easy time of it so I got off (two stops early) and carried the bags to her house for her (poor lady lived a good bit from the bus stop in the countryside). These are basic enough things people should do though to help each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I saw an elderly lady trip & fall down a step this morning as she was coming out of a Church. A few people came to her aid, helped her to her feet & made sure she was alright. She seemed fine but I suppose in a bit of shock more than anything else, so I brought her into a nearby café for a cup of tea. I then walked her down to bus stop . I stopped a taxi with the intention of giving the  driver enough to cover her fare home. She didn't want to even get into the taxi until the driver insisted that she did & went on to say that he didn't want any money at all for the fare.

So this is as much about the taxi driver as it is about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KiriFisher8

A guy fell off his bike this morning as I was heading to class. Myself and another guy brought him to the doctor and I guarded his bike for half an hour outside while he was seen to. I ended up very late for my lecture, but at least his bike was safe! 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm heading home for a few days, but I'm after making dinner for my housemates. It's plated up, waiting for them to arrive in and eat. I even did the washing up after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Last week I was doing my shopping in Lidl and an eldery man was in front in the queue. He began to look quite panicked and told the checkout girl that he forgot his wallet. He asked the girl to hold his shopping and he would rush home and get it. I paid for his shopping instead. It was a wet cold night there was no need to be going out in it twice over an easy mistake.
    It was only 13 quid. He was reluctant but thankful and I just told him to do the same someday. I didn't think much about it until my wife mentioned it a few days later when she noticed two transactions on the account for lidl. So I've kept the reciept in my wallet to remind me it's nice to do more nice things for others

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi everyone,

So onward to our second competition for an iPad Mini - and once again, thanks so much to all who entered our previous competition. Your stories of kindness and good deeds done made for inspiring reading, and really set us up for Powering Kindness Week - which, as it happens, starts today! :)

Do a good deed for someone you know (or even someone you don't), go to poweringkindness.ie and dedicate your deed to one of three great charities - Special Olympics Ireland, Childline or Breakthrough Cancer Research. For a chance to win the iPad Mini, all you need to do is share your good deed in the comments below! 

2ndBoardsCompetitioniPadMiniTilted_zps2afb05e0.jpg
    For more information on Powering Kindness, go to the website or watch the video. This competition runs until Powering Kindness comes to a close, which is next Friday 8th November. (Kindness itself, however, is sure to continue) :)

T&Cs are here. Best of luck!

David
    I am fostering an older lovely dog and I am helping a rescue association.
    I am helping some friends to find a job and to start their new life in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

I always hold the door open for people, let others sit down on the DART, once saved my friend from choking on a chinese meal once in a restaurant.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Having worked late for 2 weeks I was finally in a position to make plans and have some sort of life midweek. My new colleague was preparing documents for a meeting the following morning and was a bit out of her depth but instead of heading home I offered to stay later than my previous 2 weeks to assist her and cancelled my plans so that everything would be in order and correctly presented.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 trades101

Today in town I saw a homeless man had built a little enclousure for him self. I brought him into dunnes and bought him groceries like fresh fruit and vegetables  Bread biscuits ect hopefully to last him a week or two and paid for him to stay in a shelter for a week. Spent a good hour and half getting to know him and chatting away. Will hopefully meet up with him again if i see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

I allowed a trainee hairdresser to do a wash & blow-dry on me today (for free!!) - she said she'd asked about 30 people & been hanging around the mall for about an hour trying to find somebody until I said yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

helped out a new friend who just moved to this country whenever i can, he doesn't speak much english so i've done my best to explain things and make him feel welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Helped my son with a difficult maths question, where I had to goggle the soloution!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I found a wallet recently, that had very little information in it. It had a few receipts, a drivers licence and that was about it. I googled the persons name but didn’t really find much. So, I searched for them on facebook, and tried looking at the pictures to see if I could find them. No joy. I decided then to try linkedin, and managed to find them, based on the area they lived and their name. I sent them a message on linkedin, but after a week I had heard nothing back. I then went back onto facebook, and was able to find them (they had used the same photo) and messaged them on Facebook. They got back to me straight away and I posted the wallet out to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jacob551

Yesterday in a German Supermarket in Sandyford, an elderly lady in front of me in the queue did not realise that such stores do not take credit cards. As she had no other form of payment she was very embarrassed and did not know what to do.  The lady only had a few items of fruit and veg so I offered to pay her bill for her.  Although the amount was small she was extremely grateful to me and wanted my address to send me the few euro. I insisted that it was OK and that she should just pay the deed forward to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

A guy got on a bus I was on looking for change of €5 note to pay his fare.  I didn't have €5 in change but I had enough to cover his fare so I paid it for him.  He was very appreciative!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Trev De rev

I bought the 3 lads at work breakfast rolls this morning. we were all happy getting fat together:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

I was extra nice to a work colleague who has problems interacting with people and brought him to play football despite his footballing abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭cbee20

When parking on the street a few years ago, someone gave me his unexpired disc to use. Ever since then. when my parking disc has some time left on it, I wait to pass it on to another driver. What goes around , comes around!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭gopod

I love your competition guys. I missed the last one so I'm delighted to be able to enter this.

I was in a long queue of traffic today and I let two cars (trying to enter the line from a side street) go ahead of me.

"You may not end up going a long way, but your kindness does"

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Arasnatra

Volunteer to do someone else's task (wait in a queue for them :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Helping my friends by collecting thier daughter from school tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I went to London to visit my family and brought back chocolates for my colleagues in work - made their day today so it did! It is the little things sometimes that can make a persons day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

I was sitting having a coffee in temple bar during a very wet morning not too long ago. The lovely waitress pops by asking if I need anything, we have a bit of banter and she mentions how of all days she forgets her umbrella and is probably gonna get soaked walking home. 

When I'm leaving I remember the comment, pop up the road to the nearest shop that sells umbrellas, closest in the tourist information center had two left for about 6-7 euros each. I pop down to the coffee shop and hand her the new umbrella with a sheepish grin and hands in my pockets i walk away all embarrassed. What i mainly remember was a high pitched "AWWWWW! when i handed it over. 

In all honesty though it wasn't a purely selfish act, she was a lovely girl and very cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gra246

Last Monday a lady had brought her lovely boxer dog to a salon I was attending. She was asked to take the dog outside. Understandably she did not wish to do this. I offered to wait outside with her dog & defer my apointment until she was finished. It would only have taken 15mins or so.

I also requested that the staff allow the boxer to stay this one time. After we politely discussed the pros & cons for a while, (;) ), a member of staff came to me to say that it was OK for the dog to stay on that occassion. I later met said lady out & about. She was happy with the outcome & thanked me for speaking up. The nicest part for me was getting to spend a little time with that beautiful boxer dog......... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I'm currently fundraising for St Vincent de Paul. A great charity that is under immense pressure to help so many people in dire need at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Mine isnt anything big or fancy to be honest.

When in town to last week I came across a man sitting on the street in the miserable weather so I decided to just buy a cup of tea ,sandwich and for some random reason a lotto ticket.

He thanked me for the food but when saw the lotto ticket left out a big heart laugh.
    That was just nice to see, I hope he won something..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

I hope its ok but I also banked a good deed my father did.

While he was dropping me to work one day we witnessed an old lady fall on the pavement and hit her head.

It was a busy Monday morning and no other cars pulled over even though we were quite a bit away from her,
    my father pulled up and helped her to our car where she was very upset and shaken.

We had a first aid kit in the boot so we took that out clean her up as she had a cut on her forehead.
    My father then insisted on bringing her to the hospital to ensure she didn't have any concussion.

She was extremely thankful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pamweld

I minded my neighbours children when she had to go on a hospital appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement