Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF4 PC Crashes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So much for todays crashing fix, im still crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

2 games just there, crashed both times, both client side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, first game, crashed after 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

I came onto the PC scene in August 2012 so BF3 had already been out for nearly a year at that stage. Can anyone remember how long it took before BF3 became stable after launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

a while..

On my side had 5-6hrs of play yesterday and 3 crashes.. all when i was pwning ofc :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lahcen86

Are people finding that they get BSOD much ? i get it from time to time. I heard that they are working on fixing memory leaks associated with some maps which could be (most likely) the cause of the dreaded BSOD.

Other than that, my playtime has been reduced a lot by a good few crashes. I usually exit full screen between leading the next map as this saves me rebooting from locked black screen crashes. I've also had a good few disconnects and I find some maps are way worse than others. Like Resort map is the worst for me, terrible luck on that map :(

Can't wait for the client patch.

setup:
    i5 2500k
    GTX460 (upgrade in Jan :) woot )
    8GB mem
    Mechanical drive (also needs the boot !!).

Dear Santa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Going on other reports I am getting an average amout of crashes , but no BSOD

Yeah, getting crashes, but never a BSOD...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Really think servers should start taking Seige of Shanghai off the rotation, it's not as case of if but when unfortunately :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Got bsod a few times yesterday but I've been experimenting with over clocking my graphics card so that be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

What other types of errors are people getting and how frequent are they?

I've noticed three different types. The DirectX error - that seems to have resolved itself after a reinstall using the dx files in the BF4 game folder.
    The second and most common is where the game is hung, it locks up & the sound gets stuck in a short screeching loop. This usually happens in the first minute or two of joining a server and repeats 3 - 5 times every hour or two. As the process/application is hung, it must be killed in task manager.
    The third less frequent one is where the game crashes/closes, displaying a general windows stopped working error. Haven't noticed much of an improvement since the server patch rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Mine are the ' the program has stopped working ' type only .

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

cdb wrote: »
    What other types of errors are people getting and how frequent are they?

I've noticed three different types. The DirectX error - that seems to have resolved itself after a reinstall using the dx files in the BF4 game folder.
    The second and most common is where the game is hung, it locks up & the sound gets stuck in a short screeching loop. This usually happens in the first minute or two of joining a server and repeats 3 - 5 times every hour or two. As the process/application is hung, it must be killed in task manager.
    The third less frequent one is where the game crashes/closes, displaying a general windows stopped working error. Haven't noticed much of an improvement since the server patch rollout.

This one, every second or third game without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

lahcen86 wrote: »
    Are people finding that they get BSOD much ? i get it from time to time. I heard that they are working on fixing memory leaks associated with some maps which could be (most likely) the cause of the dreaded BSOD.

Other than that, my playtime has been reduced a lot by a good few crashes. I usually exit full screen between leading the next map as this saves me rebooting from locked black screen crashes. I've also had a good few disconnects and I find some maps are way worse than others. Like Resort map is the worst for me, terrible luck on that map :(

Can't wait for the client patch.

setup:
    i5 2500k
    GTX460 (upgrade in Jan :) woot )
    8GB mem
    Mechanical drive (also needs the boot !!).

Dear Santa.....

Most likely your card causing that. Doubt it is related to memory as the game is more gpu and cpu intensive and I've the same CPU and runs it like butter.

I played 4 games today without one crash!! Then I played as commander and the ****in thing crashed!! Madness :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

This one, every second or third game without fail.
    this one was in battlefield 3 and it seems to pop up with hardware that's not correctly overclocked in battlefield 3 I was fiddling around with my cpu's fsb and core voltage and everything seamed fine but battlefield 3 would put up the direct x error "device hung" also if you have your gpu tweaked with msi afterburner or its equivalent it could cause it either if you google this error its a bit of a black hole in terms of getting help but this is what I found to cause it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

fergus1001 wrote: »
    this one was in battlefield 3 and it seems to pop up with hardware that's not correctly overclocked in battlefield 3 I was fiddling around with my cpu's fsb and core voltage and everything seamed fine but battlefield 3 would put up the direct x error "device hung" also if you have your gpu tweaked with msi afterburner or its equivalent it could cause it either if you google this error its a bit of a black hole in terms of getting help but this is what I found to cause it

thanks for the reply. Have no OC done on my rig though, all running at stock speeds. It's seems to have settled a bit though, just shanghai map mainly but that seems to be more widespread looking at other fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Happening more regularly, but the issue with loosing points/XP is gone unless the server goes down, which is fine by me. Like I said, if your new to Battlefield this might be taxing, if your playing the game long enough down the years, you know this happens every single time. Why they havnt fixed it, I don't know, but it doesn't normally take too long to get sorted.

The annoying thing is the constant shouting of "fix netcode" and ****e. As if A) 3/4 of the people saying it know what Netcode is and B) Have any idea how its related as the issue.

I personally find the "irish" servers located in the sticky thread to be horrible offenders for causing crashes unfortunately : /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

TheDoc wrote: »
    The annoying thing is the constant shouting of "fix netcode" and ****e. As if A) 3/4 of the people saying it know what Netcode is and B) Have any idea how its related as the issue.

The net code is bad though and is plain to see alot of the time.I was running through metal detectors with a squad mate and there was a massive delay of the sound they make compared to when he passed through them and the lights blinked.Then there is the obvious one of being hit while round corners.

Tbh its a waste of time and pointless to type it in chat during a game and people would be better off ptfo. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am getting DirectX runtime errors that then cause the game to crash to desktop. Not all that often, but still happening nonetheless.

This happens with every release of Battlefield though, just takes time to iron out any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I had mostly DirectX crashes, but some in game hangs whenever action got busy. I made one change and that was disable Occlusion. (The last option in Video options in BF4... HBAO or HSAO - whatever, just disable that. Two days no crashes so far.

• Advertisement

Just got battlefield 4 last night and its crashing like an fiat panda on ice game runs smooth as on my rig on high settings but gets the bf4.exe has stopped working also id recommend windows 8.1 the performance from it is unreal in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I will admit, I was on Siege of Shanghi early on this evening. The building fell, the 64 player server went to 9 player. That's pretty bad.

I haven't had any crashes at all the past few days....

new server patch out anyone have a better time after it ?
    and client patch is coming soon

fergus1001 wrote: »
    new server patch out anyone have a better time after it ?
    and client patch is coming soon

Servers seem to be running better for me but i'm still getting shed loads of "bafflesmefield has stopped working" crashes. :(

So much for server maintenance today,was just on Celts and the server crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

How often are ye guys experiencing crashes if at all???

Again, I'm using a GTX 670 @1080p running on high settings with around 80-90 FPS with dips to 55 FPS. In the last 24 hrs BF4 has crashed about 8 times. Sometimes it's the server and sometimes it's the game client. I mean like WTF? €50 for this like????

id say about 2/3 map loads it crashes and thats since i bought it, its shocking to think they had an "open beta" but couldnt solve such a major game breaking **** up.

When the game does work its great, i love BF i feel cheated tbh.

Im really dissapointed id like a refund..chec my post on EA forums.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Disgraceful-Game-thats-unplayable-and-i-cant-get-a-refund/m-p/1839849#U1839849

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

id recommend windows 8.1 the performance from it is unreal in my opinion

Really depends on your rig.
    For example on my rig according to benchmarks id gain 1 fps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Dcully wrote: »
    Really depends on your rig.
    For example on my rig according to benchmarks id gain 1 fps :)

I've decided to stick to Win 7 64-bit for another bit.

• Advertisement

Well so far after the client update i've had one crash and three server crashes.Normal as ever i see then.

Advertisement