Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro Pig

• 02-11-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Lookin for some advice please. Want to get the Girlfreind a micro pig for Xmas.

The google machine is bringin up micropigfarm.ie as someone who sells them. Seems very legit site, I want to make sure I don't get a full size pig and wouldn't want the little piggies being mis treated either.

Can anyone give any info on buying one?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1) NO reputable breeders will breed for the christmas market. No responsible owner should buy an animal around Christmas.
    2) Are you absolutely 100% sure your gf wants a pig? She might think they're cute, but is she prepared for the smell, food bills, excrement etc?
    3) Have you done your research? Will you need a herd number since you're keeping livestock? What innoculations are needed? Is there a vet near you that has experience with pigs?
    4) From what I have heard a lot of 'micro' pigs aren't micro, just runty piglets that will grow just as big as any other pig. 'Micro' is also a relative term; genuine micro pigs get up to 90kg in size, the size of a Great Dane or Mastiff.

So if your gf wants a pet that will get as large as a giant breed dog, but possibly a lot bigger, and you are sure you can provide housing/pasturing, you don't mind your garden being ploughed up, you have a vet sorted, and you've registered with the department of agriculture, wait until after Christmas and get one when your schedule is a bit more relaxed.

If you're not certain you can provide the above then think about why you want a pig and see what animals would fit that profile and get something more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Please don't buy a micro pig.
    Micro pigs are piglets bred from smaller breed pigs like Vietnamese pot bellied which actually grow to a very large size, bigger than your average dog and a lot heavier. The piglets are tiny due to their mothers being immature sows that shouldn't have been bred yet, also malnutrition keeps them small. Once they get a proper diet they will grow like any other pig.
    Pigs need the company of other pigs. To get one pig would not be giving this animal what he needs to express normal behaviour.
    Pigs are farm animals, you will need to register with dept of agriculture as the poster above said.
    Where are you planning on keeping the pig? They need space to dig and roll around and lots of straw to bed down in.
    What are you planning on feeding the pig? Pig feed can be expensive and pot bellies are prone to putting on weight if not fed correctly.
    Pigs are not suitable for people with limited animal handling, they are strong with sharp teeth and get stroppy if they are frustrated.
    Kylith also asked an excellent question about having a vet nearby. Don't take it for granted that your local vet will be experienced with handling pigs. Also have you budgeted for the vet costs? When the pig gets big you can't bring him to vet in a car, the vet will have to come to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My neighbour has pigs, granted their not micro but they need loads of space. They dig up a field pretty quick and it takes time for the field to get back to normal so you'd need land to keep them. I can't imagine keeping them in a garden. They also can do damage with their teeth. The guy who owns them lost some of his finger when trying to move one! I was watching one of those shows about scammers and it showed a couple who were sold micro pigs which were infact normal sized pigs and messed up their garden, cost them hundreds in vet bills as well as the heart ache because they were afraid if they rehomed them they'd end up as bacon!

Advertisement