Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog saves mans life, man eats dog!

• 02-11-2013 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2483950/Hiker-forced-eat-dog-stranded-Canadian-wilderness-3-months.html

Very sad and unfortunate story of a Hiker who was attacked by a bear in Canada, the bear destroyed his rations and his only method of escape the canoe, his loyal dog fought off the bear and saved his life, 3 days later starvation set-in on the hiker and in a do or die situation he killed the dog and consumed it in order to stay alive.

I found it quite disturbing but it showed the spirit to stay alive in him, three months later he was ultimately rescued and in a bad state.

If I was in the same situation I would probably eventually do the same in order to stay alive but I would have kept the dog much longer and try hunt some wild animals first or try hike my way out of the wilderness.

I'm sure the dog was a loyal dog and stayed loyal until the end, sad story nonetheless for man and beast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

NO! Couldn't do it - I'd rather die..but after him so she wouldn't be alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Obviously really hard to say what you'd do in that situation but I really don't think I could do it.

I have no qualms about eating pretty much anything but killing and eating my own dog? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

it had only been 3 days, how "starving" could he have been after 3 days ):

Thats sad, after the dog saved his life! Surely he owed it to the dog to try a bit longer bit longer before eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I were actively starving I probably would eat my dog; if you're hungry enough you'll resort to cannibalism after all. However it'd be a last resort: a dog is much too valuable for hunting rabbits and rodents to use as a food source.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Kill the dog that chased off the bear and then ramble around the wilderness unprotected:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kylith wrote: »
    If I were actively starving I probably would eat my dog; if you're hungry enough you'll resort to cannibalism after all. However it'd be a last resort: a dog is much too valuable for hunting rabbits and rodents to use as a food source.

Ok, i laughed, my dogs couldn't hunt a fart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Wouldn't last on my fella, skinny little fecker. But I love him too much to eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I don't think you/I could really say what I would do in that situation but what confused me about that story was that he was only a few days into the hike. Instead of tramping on for a few months - why didn't he turn around and trek back the way he came - surely he would have come to the road he was dropped off on?

(Assuming he was dropped of and he hadn't left his car at a starting point)

Advertisement