Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelin Eating out in pubs guide Cork pubs listed

Options
  • 02-11-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just spotted the article and it seems 6 cork pubs have made the guide including

"Mary Ann’s, Poacher’s Inn, An Súgan and Deasy’s, Cronin’s and Toddies at The Bulman"

Has anyone eaten in these establishments and care to comment, I can honestly say I haven't and I actually cant think of where any of them are.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fancy-good-pub-grub-head-down-maybe-down-115224358.html#nRoFlQb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I've eaten in The Bulman, it's in Summercove, over by Charles Fort, near Kinsale. Had a very lovely lunch there around this time a few years ago, after visiting the Fort, and it was very nice indeed. It was the bar menu as opposed to the restaurant. I do recommend it to visitors who are heading to Kinsale to see the sights, especially if they're going to Charles Fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Cronin's is really nice, been there a few times after sailing in the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've eaten in both Poacher’s Inn (Bandon) and An Súgan (Clonakilty) this summer.

Poacher’s was nice and I'd happily go back next time I'm passing; in fact my parents went in there quite a few times over the summer and they were always raving about the place.

As for An Súgan, personally I wouldn't go near them again as they managed to screw up something so simple as chicken goujons, which from what I've heard is a dish they're especially well known for, and it was absurdly expensive for what you got. I left feeling very ripped off and frankly annoyed with the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Had lunch in Mary Ann's out in Castletownshend. Delicious seafood. Pricey enough but excellent quality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've eaten in Cronin's several times and I love it. We wanted to eat at The Bulman, but we've never gotten around to it. The menu looks lovely though.

Haven't heard of the others yet, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Cronin's is dayce, great selection of beers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steak and chips (I'm not a big seafood eater) in Maryanne's after a hard day's sailing is hard to beat! Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

We've eaten in Mary Anne's a couple of times over the years, its consistently very good as long as you don't mind a bit of a loud property-developing-yachty crowd in there on occasion. Goujons for the kids were pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We've eaten in Mary Anne's a couple of times over the years, its consistently very good as long as you don't mind a bit of a loud property-developing-yachty crowd in there on occasion. Goujons for the kids were pretty amazing.

Ah here... not all yachties are property developers :confused:

Or loud, for that matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

Had lunch and dinner in the Bulman there a couple of weeks ago, superb on both occasions..I can see why they are doing so well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When it comes to Fish my favorite restaurant in Cork is Deasys near Clonakilty and Poachers inn in Bandon is a close second. Neither are particularly fancy, just good simple food tasting fantastic.O'callaghan walshs in rosscarberry is supposed to be very good and fishy fishy in Kinsale is lovely too.

Been to An Suigan two dozen times and while its grand I really wouldnt rate the place though its mainly known for fish while normally ive had non fish options there.

The Bulman is nice in Kinsale but where are Mary Anns and Cronins?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah here... not all yachties are property developers :confused:

Or loud, for that matter :D

i know my way around a boat myself but you know the type I'm referring to! Musto and louis vuitton and coming off the boat hammered!

Balmed Out wrote: »
    ...O'callaghan walshs in rosscarberry is supposed to be very good and fishy fishy in Kinsale is lovely too.

Been to An Suigan two dozen times and while its grand I really wouldnt rate the place though its mainly known for fish while normally ive had non fish options there.

if you head south of skibbereen you'll find castletownshend, nice village with a handful of pubs and the unassuming Mary ann's. Great place for a walk and a few photos down by the water and the old church.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

Balmed Out wrote: »
    When it comes to Fish my favorite restaurant in Cork is Deasys near Clonakilty and Poachers inn in Bandon is a close second. Neither are particularly fancy, just good simple food tasting fantastic.O'callaghan walshs in rosscarberry is supposed to be very good and fishy fishy in Kinsale is lovely too.

Cronins is in crosshaven. Keep driving all the way into iy, into main harbour towards fort camden. Its just at the roundabout. Cant miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Poachers Inn used to be Edwards Restaurant before and it was absolutely beautiful food.

I've been since it has become the Poachers and it was nice but not as nice as previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

An Súgan, is totally overrated. visited multiple times and left disappointed.

Bullman is excellent

Advertisement