Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd level career break

Options
  • 02-11-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Enquiring about this for my uncle ,basically he teaches business and Irish in a school and wants to be trained up as a mechanic so he would have a way of making a good few Bob over the holdidays they get.a apprenticeship for a mechanic takes 4 years to complete and he is wondering is a career break going to affect his chance of employment in the future as a teacher or would he reatain his previous job .Also what are your thoughts is it a good idea or is it just hassle ? Any thoughts ,thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seems a bit mad to me in the current climate.
    He could possibly retain his job, but if numbers change before he is due to come back he could find himself out of a job. He will need to pay a fair amount in PRSI to cover the years he's 'off'. He would more than likely be redeployed at best, unemployed at worst on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mechanic? There's feck all jobs in that market, I can't imagine why anybody would spend 4 years training for nothing considering they're qualified for a decent job. 3 of my friends were mechanics, two went back to college to try and find different jobs, and the other is on the dole. All the garages closed down when the boom collapsed. Nixers aren't worth the effort most of the time either. Definitely won't pay off his apprenticeship.

Advertisement