Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacket for Winter

Options
  • 02-11-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good all rounder winter jacket...one that is waterproof, has a hood that can be folded away and windproof. Also warm

Read a few forums and a lot say just get a good Gore Tex jacket and layer up inside it.

I have plenty of fleeces and softshell jackets that would work well under a good goretx jacket so just wanted to get peoples opinions on this particular jacket and price and also any other recommendations people have

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/craghoppers-kiwi-gtx-jacket-mens-443225?colcode=44322590

Would have it for just over €150 landed here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Personally I would stay away as I feel GH are a bit of an everything brand without actually excelling in anything particular.

I was in TK Maxx yesterday and they had Berghaus and Montane jackets in that price range. Both are well established brands and Montane are especially good but still slightly unknown in Ireland. Montane are huge in the UK however. Also very important to try a rain jacket on with the layers you will wear underneath.
    No point in buying "your" size online only to find that you can only wear a string vest underneath it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

53 Degrees North have a few of these in their sale isle, bought one for ~130€ during the week.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/ie/item/odin-hooded-belay-jacket-66547/?t_type=src&COLOR=980%20EBONY&t_type=cat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Personally I would stay away as I feel GH are a bit of an everything brand without actually excelling in anything particular.

I was in TK Maxx yesterday and they had Berghaus and Montane jackets in that price range. Both are well established brands and Montane are especially good but still slightly unknown in Ireland. Montane are huge in the UK however. Also very important to try a rain jacket on with the layers you will wear underneath.
    No point in buying "your" size online only to find that you can only wear a string vest underneath it ;)

I'll be up north next week so might pass a SD shop and try one on with a few layers and get an idea of size

If you're in Belfast there is 2 great shops for outdoor gear. Cotswold outdoors and Jackson sports. Cotswolds is a big UK chain with 2 stores in Belfast and has a great selection.

Jackson's is a small shop but with a huge online presence delivering free to the south. Still worth a mooch around the shop though.

If you're in Belfast there is 2 great shops for outdoor gear. Cotswold outdoors and Jackson sports. Cotswolds is a big UK chain with 2 stores in Belfast and has a great selection.

Jackson's is a small shop but with a huge online presence delivering free to the south. Still worth a mooch around the shop though.

wont get time to get as far as Belfast,,,,Lisburn is the destination so anything between here and there or close on route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

If you're in Dublin drop into the Patagonia Outlet store on Exchequer street. Usually some decent value to be had.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    wont get time to get as far as Belfast,,,,Lisburn is the destination so anything between here and there or close on route

Boucher retail park is on the M1 halfway between Lisburn and Belfast. The Cotswold in there is on 2 floors in a business park. Probably only 15 mins up the road from Lisburn.

Good luck hunting.

Boucher retail park is on the M1 halfway between Lisburn and Belfast. The Cotswold in there is on 2 floors in a business park. Probably only 15 mins up the road from Lisburn.

Good luck hunting.

great thanks

any thoughts on this?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/escape-down-rain-parka-id_8283758.html

Never established what your use will be. For just staying warm on days off during winter etc it's fine I'm sure.

If it's for going hiking or doing any outdoor sports it would be fairly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Certainly not water proof.

Goretex is waterproof, you pay for what you want. Watch out on Cotswolds online shop for clearance offers and take the plunge. I got an Extreme Berghaus Gortex active for 130 stg reduced from 200 stg a few months back. perfect packable jacket, then I also have a Berghaus RG3 in 1, insulated and somewhat waterproof for that cold weather wet day.

• Advertisement

Never established what your use will be. For just staying warm on days off during winter etc it's fine I'm sure.

If it's for going hiking or doing any outdoor sports it would be fairly useless.

looking for something for weekend use. spend a lot of time watching the kids at matches and like todays weather when its cold, windy and raining, just need something decent that can cover all eventualities

no plans to go hiking or for sports

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Don't forget coat-length - there's lots of waterproof jackets, but not many that will prevent you from getting a soggy behind.

I like the Berghaus Cornice for hiking, and it wouldn't make you look like edmund hillary standing on the touchlines. There's a long and a shorter version of these.

I agree that you don't want one big heavy waterproof jacket that you can wear on very cold days, if you buy a lighter jacket and wear multiple warm layers underneath you'll get more use out of it.

MandMdirect sometimes do good prices on berghaus stuff.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Certainly not water proof.

Goretex is waterproof, you pay for what you want. Watch out on Cotswolds online shop for clearance offers and take the plunge. I got an Extreme Berghaus Gortex active for 130 stg reduced from 200 stg a few months back. perfect packable jacket, then I also have a Berghaus RG3 in 1, insulated and somewhat waterproof for that cold weather wet day.

does it not specify 5000mm of waterproofness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

does it not specify 5000mm of waterproofness?

you do realise thats half a metre …. half a meter of waterproofness ???

Corkbah wrote: »
    you do realise thats half a metre …. half a meter of waterproofness ???

5000mm is 5m

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Event and Mountain Hardwear DryQ Elite are far more breathable than Gore Tex pro shell. Gore tex come up with new garmet called Gore Tex Pro which is much more different than Gore tex pro shell. Just because you see gore tex often on media internet shops and shops doesnt mean it's number one! we believe in marketing words rather than the truth.Gore Tex is not the only garmet that is waterproof and breathable. Event is killer in my humble opinion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

5000mm is 5m

5000mm = 500cm
    500cm = 0.5m

or maybe I missed something while in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Corkbah wrote: »
    5000mm = 500cm
    500cm = 0.5m

or maybe I missed something while in school.
    Yes,

500cm = 5m :D

thoughts on this please...
    http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Item-0-0-cat-28-brand-2743-Berghaus_2014_Mera_Peak.aspx

They stock them in Great Outdoors in Dublin so must go there soon and try on what they have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'm looking for a good all rounder winter jacket...one that is waterproof, has a hood that can be folded away and windproof. Also warm

Read a few forums and a lot say just get a good Gore Tex jacket and layer up inside it.

I have plenty of fleeces and softshell jackets that would work well under a good goretx jacket so just wanted to get peoples opinions on this particular jacket and price and also any other recommendations people have

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/craghoppers-kiwi-gtx-jacket-mens-443225?colcode=44322590

Would have it for just over €150 landed here

I have that jacket for over 2 years now OP and it's grand. It has got a lot of wear out of it and has been in all climates. There's a zip on the inside for a fleece. I got a fleece with mine when I bought it. I can't fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

looking for something for weekend use. spend a lot of time watching the kids at matches and like todays weather when its cold, windy and raining, just need something decent that can cover all eventualities

no plans to go hiking or for sports

There is nothing as cold as the sideline in winter....

I find a zip in fleece lined gortex jacket inadequate for this. You need something you can seriously "layer" under.

But then I am a complete wuss and freeze standing around doing nothing. It is a very tough "ask" for a coat, and any coat that will do the job will have NO sporting pretensions.

Big, Heavy, padded, with a waterproof shell. And with enough space to fit a lambswool sweater AND a fleece underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

There is nothing as cold as the sideline in winter....

I find a zip in fleece lined gortex jacket inadequate for this. You need something you can seriously "layer" under.

But then I am a complete wuss and freeze standing around doing nothing. It is a very tough "ask" for a coat, and any coat that will do the job will have NO sporting pretensions.

Big, Heavy, padded, with a waterproof shell. And with enough space to fit a lambswool sweater AND a fleece underneath.

Have you ever tried a Belay jacket? Not as warm as a down jacket but they're generally more robust and will be very warm. You can normally wear them under or over another layer for extra warmth.

The main problem people have is getting the correct balance as something like a down jacket is too much for Ireland warmth wise and they don't like the rain much. I find mixing different layers under a water resistant shell is the best bet and suits the most conditions even when stretching the limits of the designs. Don't under estimate a good warm base layers effect. Protect your legs too many people add extra layers on their bodies and ignore the heat loss lower down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

http://www.jackson-sports.com/en/Waterproof-Jackets/c-126.aspx
    there you go.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I got this in the sales last year for around €160.00.

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/the-north-face-mens-nanavik-jacket-black.html?

Best buy ever, one of the best coats I have ever got.

Advertisement