Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever send a Ram to Sheep Ireland for CPT?

• 09-10-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever send a Ram to Sheep Ireland for CPT on here. Sent a fella yesterday and just interested to know if any benefits or not to figures or do you get much feedback on their performance the following year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

Hi Cran they collected one here last Thursday , Fingers crossed he will pass all health tests and will provide good semen. I presume using him this way will lift the reliability figures for my flock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Lastin wrote: »
    Hi Cran they collected one here last Thursday , Fingers crossed he will pass all health tests and will provide good semen. I presume using him this way will lift the reliability figures for my flock?

Thats what I'm hoping too, do they scrapie test and what health tests do they complete? First year recording with some excellent results from new ram who was unrecorded, so a novice to this :confused:

What do you breed Lastin?

2 novices so, I think they only test for contagious diseases and lice/scab. Hopefully none of these will be issues. We breed charollais sheep here as you do I think? H15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

2 novices so, I think they only test for contagious diseases and lice/scab. Hopefully none of these will be issues. We breed charollais sheep here as you do I think? H15
    We send a couple rams every year for CPT
    I gave them a ram lamb and an adult ram for testing this year. It does improve the accuracy, But for some reason it destroys their lambing figure here, We'd put the CPT rams with the ewe lambs when they come home so if they were genuinely only 2 star for lambing we'd know about it before sheep Ireland would.....doesn't make sense. Ease of lambing would be one of the selling points of vendeen ,so would be important.

I would imagine with the cpt flocks lambing to sponged service, that over sheperding might be an issue as lambers might not have time to let ewes lamb themselves at times of high pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Was it a Vendeen ram you sent in to them ? And is it possible to go to and see the rams ?

sheeper wrote: »
    Was it a Vendeen ram you sent in to them ? And is it possible to go to and see the rams ?

Yes I sent two vendeens
    As for seeing the rams, biosecurity is very important as you can imagine. Stephen Potterton in sheep Ireland is in charge of that part, he might be worth asking.
    They're starting inseminations on farms on Friday I think and they're training and testing rams all this week

Very good your not far from me at all, I'm H1 we most organize a new breeders meet up some time.

rancher wrote: »
    We'd put the CPT rams with the ewe lambs when they come home so if they were genuinely only 2 star for lambing we'd know about it before sheep Ireland would.....doesn't make sense. Ease of lambing would be one of the selling points of vendeen ,so would be important.

Makes sense was going to put another lamb with some ewe lambs might use the CPT lamb instead now to see.

Cran wrote: »
    Makes sense was going to put another lamb with some ewe lambs might use the CPT lamb instead now to see.

At least you'd be sure he is fertile

• Advertisement
Advertisement