Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culls

Options
  • 14-10-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

any one sell culls lately, i have a bunch of fairly fleshy ladies , not great prices on the mart reports

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

jomoloney wrote: »
    any one sell culls lately, i have a bunch of fairly fleshy ladies , not great prices on the mart reports

Sold mine two weeks ago, €2/kg.....€68 average
    wouldn't be big sheep, Texel X lleyn
    Rubbish price

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

just a follow up

I eventually got around to moving these last week

they made €75..... a few of the older mules eventhough looked ok didn't ko well

the last of the lambs mainly chx from ewe lambs made €96.5

no great money but pointless holding them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

just a follow up

what liveweight were lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

do ye shop around for different prices or just stick to the one factory for culls and lambs?

razor8 wrote: »
    what liveweight were lambs?

approx 45 kgs, they were young and thight wolled
    KO between 21 and 22.4 kgs
    was pleased only 1 lamb .4 kg overweight
    easymoney! wrote: »
    do ye shop around for different prices or just stick to the one factory for culls and lambs?

no matter which direction we go nearest factory is over 80 miles away

we were flat out doing cattle haulage for a neighbour who was out sick, so we gave the sheep to a haulier/agent .. he only deals with icm

• Advertisement

approx 45 kgs, they were young and thight wolled
    KO between 21 and 22.4 kgs
    was pleased only 1 lamb .4 kg overweight

no matter which direction we go nearest factory is over 80 miles away

we were flat out doing cattle haulage for a neighbour who was out sick, so we gave the sheep to a haulier/agent .. he only deals with icm

Excellant kill outs, wether or ram lambs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

just a follow up

If u don't mind me asking, What price did u get. 2.20 for ewes and 4.55 for lambs?

I presume the lambs were being fed meal to kill out at that rate?

wether & ewe lambs ..ch mostly from texel x ewe lambs

all on meal

ewes should gone a few weeks ago but we hadn't time

a good few killed over 40 kgs :( the cut off point, maybe the mart would have a better option here but as i said a few killed out very poor as well

ewes 2.10 lambs 4.55

wether & ewe lambs ..ch mostly from texel x ewe lambs

all on meal

ewes should gone a few weeks ago but we hadn't time

a good few killed over 40 kgs :( the cut off point, maybe the mart would have a better option here but as i said a few killed out very poor as well

ewes 2.10 lambs 4.55

good going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

went factory with 8 culls last week averaged €77, wasn't too worried as they were 9 years old! huge big mule types, when you get that much value out of a ewe you take what you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    went factory with 8 culls last week averaged €77, wasn't too worried as they were 9 years old! huge big mule types, when you get that much value out of a ewe you take what you get?

god you cant complain they owed you nothing fair age! what ya get a kg?

€2 a kg, they had lambs every year including last year one had triplits, but 4 or 5 ended up with bad elders/blind teats etc. was a bit of hardship, im goin to try and keep smaller lighter sheep lleyn x and belclare x Suffolk, and not keep them as long. easier to handle dipping shearing etc and easier to feed and keep.
    out of interest, how many years would you get out of the average ewe. 80% of the flock is now 3 year old max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Dickie10 wrote: »
    out of interest, how many years would you get out of the average ewe. 80% of the flock is now 3 year old max

Hill sheep here, I'd sell ewes at 5 or 6 years of age. Depending on the quality of the ewe and if I wanted a ewe lamb out of here I might stretch that out a year longer. But, hill and old ewes are a bad combination.

I try to keep min of 20% replacements per year to keep things ticking over, don't buy in any ewes or ewe lambs. I am keeping 25% this year as I didn't keep any last year.

A good ewe on lowland should go for longer. If it were me running them I'd record performance and sell based on that. No point in keeping a ewe of any age that's a) producing poor doers b) making work for you c) I had a c but forget :o will add later if I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Hill sheep here, I'd sell ewes at 5 or 6 years of age. Depending on the quality of the ewe and if I wanted a ewe lamb out of here I might stretch that out a year longer. But, hill and old ewes are a bad combination.

I try to keep min of 20% replacements per year to keep things ticking over, don't buy in any ewes or ewe lambs. I am keeping 25% this year as I didn't keep any last year.

A good ewe on lowland should go for longer. If it were me running them I'd record performance and sell based on that. No point in keeping a ewe of any age that's a) producing poor doers b) making work for you c) I had a c but forget :o will add later if I think of it.

Yep, replace 25% here, as a ewe gets older she has more lambs and less milk

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I'd say 7-8 years old. In general I think there's more life left in older ewes than people think. But they can be extra work. My ewes are never much value at culls so I often tell myself they're good for another year . Usually they do come through with 2 lambs . Then their theeth make the decision for me .

one of my culls killed out at 49kg ,factory got 9kg free meat!

Advertisement