Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hull v Sunderland - Horror Tackle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:confused:

Do you actually enjoy seeing "tackles" like that in the game? Bizarre.

I enjoy the game being fast paced and physically competitive. Tackles like that are a product of that. To lose those tackles, you'd have to lose the game's essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I enjoy the game being fast paced and physically competitive. Tackles like that are a product of that. To lose those tackles, you'd have to lose the game's essence.

So you wish to see more potential leg breaking tackles? You know, to keep the essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

RoryMac wrote: »
    Cattermole's was never a red, the other was a shocker and deserves a few game ban.

Ref's shouldn't be taking players reputation into account during games and I hope Cattermole's is downgraded on appeal.

Yes Referee's should not take players reputations into account, but this is further evidence that they do. In the same way that players get a reputation for diving.

Yes looking back Cattermole was unlucky, but he knows himself he can't jump in like that, you could see from his reaction he knew he was going.

Comparing it to the Brady one, the Brady one was worse for me, and the Referee should be embarrassed for only giving that a yellow when he knows he is going to be judged on consistency.

Dossena's one was disgusting, his tackle is not the product of a fast paced and competitive game, anyone being honest will look at the clear intent with the movement of his leg and know he meant harm with it.

Jernal wrote: »
    So you wish to see more potential leg breaking tackles? You know, to keep the essence.

I wish to see more physically combative football. If that entails the odd poor challenge I have no problem with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

In fairness a tackle like that would have only been labelled 'horror' in the past decade.

Most weekends not so long ago tackles(or attempted tackles) similar to that would be seen most weekends.

is it a good thing to stamp them out? Yes!

But its a fine balance between physicality and ponse and we run the risk of taking physicality out of the game if its got wrong.

and I think its going wrong with the refs tbh.
    (eg) stand broad over the ball and wait for a slight touch to go over - its a guaranteed free.

thats basketball type rules not football !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

osarusan wrote: »
    Can't really agree with comments suggesting that 'Cattermole should have known better, given his reputation.'

How is he supposed to play if he thinks like that? He has to work on the assumption that the ref will treat every player equally.

Sure, but they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Is it possible that Dossena didn't see Meyler and was trying to trap the ball.

Not being naive about it, and i've only seen 1 GIF from 1 angle, but he never seems to look at Meyler or realise where he is.

His eyes were on the ball the whole time, and him trying to trap the ball is the only explanation for that stamping movement of his foot other then him being an absolute bastárd and trying to seriously injure another player.

Meyler beat him to the ball, and his foot would be coming straight down on the ball if Meyler hadn't got there first.

I don't remember Dossena being a cúnt playing for Liverpool (not saying that he's not, just seems a bit out of character).

For the record this is the only angle i've seen (internet is acting up atm):
    doss.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I enjoy the physical aspect of the game too, but ther is no room in the game for leg breaking tackles - by all means be physical and competive , old school style (Kev Moran ) - nasty malicious tackles , have no place in the game - deliberatly ending another players career is a mark of cowardice by me - like someone who fights by biting or with knifes.

thebaz wrote: »
    I enjoy the physical aspect of the game too, but ther is no room in the game for leg breaking tackles - by all means be physical and competive , old school style (Kev Moran ) - nasty malicious tackles , have no place in the game - deliberatly ending another players career is a mark of cowardice by me - like someone who fights by biting or with knifes.

It was a deliberate attempt to end Meyler's career? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It was a deliberate attempt to end Meyler's career? :confused:

probably not , in fact in the premiership and higher level of football , it would be rare - but have seen some particularly nasty tackles in the lower levels of Irish and English football , some where i was playing , not nice - as I said , i like the game to be physical , but don't want to spend mondays in hospital, due to someones elses issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I generally read most soccer threads and never post but your comments in this thread are some of the worst I have ever read on here.

Have you ever played soccer? Have you ever suffered a tackle like what Dossena dished out? It was a deliberate attempt to injure Meyler which is in no way part of the essence of the game. To stamp down the way he did showed nothing other than a desire to injure Meyler.

I have no problem with physicality in soccer and can't stand people rolling around on the ground like Elmohamady did after Cattermole's tackle but to say that tackles like Dossena's have a place in soccer is just so far removed from the thoughts of any rational person.

lassykk wrote: »
    I generally read most soccer threads and never post but your comments in this thread are some of the worst I have ever read on here.

Have you ever played soccer? Have you ever suffered a tackle like what Dossena dished out? It was a deliberate attempt to injure Meyler which is in no way part of the essence of the game. To stamp down the way he did showed nothing other than a desire to injure Meyler.

I have no problem with physicality in soccer and can't stand people rolling around on the ground like Elmohamady did after Cattermole's tackle but to say that tackles like Dossena's have a place in soccer is just so far removed from the thoughts of any rational person.

Just don't think that's true.

I am being incredibly rational about the issue. There is a lot of hysterics in this thread from people who 1) found the images shocking and 2) people like yourself who seem scarred by something that happened to them on a local pitch at some stage.

He didn't mean it. He mistimed what he was doing. It happens - a byproduct of fast athletes playing a competitive game where one second too slow can have dire consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not as bad as the McManaman tackle on the Newcastle lad last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He didn't mean it. He mistimed what he was doing. It happens - a byproduct of fast athletes playing a competitive game where one second too slow can have dire consequences.

I disagree with that opinion of the incident, still a few lads going out to injure someone

A prime example

This lad got 11 games for this tackle last year (France)

This happened yesterday and there is talk of the same happening

1383421272-myfile.gif

Don't think the last one warrants much tbh but the intentional ones do deserve more than three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I am being incredibly rational about the issue. There is a lot of hysterics in this thread from people who 1) found the images shocking and 2) people like yourself who seem scarred by something that happened to them on a local pitch at some stage.

So you forcefully stamp down on a ball to control it....you were some player id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

That's a pretty bold assumption, if he didn't mean it why was he stamping down?

Everyone loves a good tackle, but there is no room in the game for players who take the opportunity to injure other players, scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hi moral outrage brigade! *waves*

Welcome to a fast paced competitive contact sport. Looks like the player was sent off and will be banned accordingly. Grand job. This has always been part of the game, and hopefully always will.

Hi Lloyd!

Still courting attention?

You can't seriously defend Dossena's tackle/stamp, can you?

It had nothing to do with the fast-paced nature of the game.

The delay before he stamped down makes it look terribly intentional - what on earth was he thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lloyd making friends again I see ;)

Pretty horrible challenge in fairness. while I can get his sense of not wanting tackling gone from the game, and I've been turned off by football in general recently by the incessant diving and antics, I've no time nor love for horribly mistimed or intentionally bad tackles.

Sorry, but the only reason you go into a tackle like that is to take the man if you fail to win the ball, studs up like that, it's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What was he trying to do then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pro. F wrote: »

Burst the ball is all I can come up with.

When we were kids on the street, no ball = no game. So if you were being hockied, you'd boot the ball over a wall or up a tree.

Maybe the Italian version is to burst the ball with your studs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Pro. F wrote: »

Maybe? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Hi moral outrage brigade! *waves*

Welcome to a fast paced competitive contact sport. Looks like the player was sent off and will be banned accordingly. Grand job. This has always been part of the game, and hopefully always will.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Think I was taken in by a soccer forum troll!

Didn't think it would be in a Sunderland thread!

Advertisement