Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convention/events centre cork.

Options
  • 02-11-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

The government is putting 10 million euro towards this very needed infrastructure for cork and the city council has 6/7 million to give towards it, there is three planning permissions in place at the moment but of the three where would you like to see it built. Take in to consideration parking, public transport etc not that its close to you.

where to built events centre 16 votes

Howard Holdings proposal in the docklands
    0% 0 votes
    the former Beamish Brewery
    18% 3 votes
    Albert Quay (near city hall)
    25% 4 votes
    Or a new site
    56% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I voted for the docklands. I think dragging the city centre out a bit is no bad thing. I like the idea of the docklands being given more attention in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I thought Howard Holdings was no longer in existence, therefore perhaps the proposal may now be with Nama.
    Either way I think Docklands as well, the other sites are already in congested areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I think the Docklands one is a non-runner. Howard Holdings is/was in dire trouble, as it stands it would be built in the middle of a big industrial area with nothing around it, the development (IIRC) was conditional on a nearly swing bridge being built, and parts of the docklands around Centre Park Rd. need to be raised by ~3m.

I'd love to see the docklands redeveloped too, but I think it's more realistic if the Albert Quay centre goes ahead, so the city centre grows/creeps out into the docklands; rather than build the Howard Holdings centre at the far end of the docklands and hope other businesses/buildings spring up around it. If the Albert Quay centre went ahead, it might make it more attractive for the Custom House Quay finally to be redeveloped. If that had bars/cafes/restaurants in the old warehouse building and with outdoor areas on the quay side, it'd make a fantastic venue before/after concerts in the event centre. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement