Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemens club ban for no reason

Options
  • 02-11-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

on the sexism thread in the gentlemens club I made a post about my experience of having a friend deny lad culture was a problem or that rape culture exists. Awec the moderator banned me for this citing the fact I had been warned before, I do not feel that my post was grounds to ban me as it was an example of sexism experienced by a man (me).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hi,

from what the mod tells me this is your severalth contribution to the thread, and also the severalth which went against the point and spirit of the thread.

Your post:
    having a conversation with someone and they denied lad culture was a problem and denied that rape culture exists

some people are ridiculously opposed to gender equality

The mod warning in the first post:
    MOD NOTE! ** READ THIS **
    I'm going to make this completely crystal clear, for the benefit of all.

This is a thread for men to post their experiences of sexism that they believe they have experienced. Discussion in this thread is welcome, from both men and women - so long as it goes with the ethos of the thread.

The following is no longer to take place in this thread:

- Discussion of which sex has it worse
    - Arguing about what is, or isn't sexism in your view

This is the Gentlemen's Club forum. This forum will always have a male leaning ethos. Men do not have to defend their experiences in this thread to anyone.

We will start banning people who continue to derail this thread.

Your post is not about sexism against men, which is actually what the thread is about. It reads, instead, as an attempt to redefine terms in order to steer the conversation to something you consider more important and less perhaps bathetic.

Now, you perhaps might not think very much of the thread/topic, and I perhaps may not either, but that's true of many Boards threads at any given moment, and doesn't give anyone carte blanche to oppose the spirit of the thread - or more generally of a forum.

So, you having been warned both generally and personally, and then banned in line with the mod note in post #1, I can't see any option but to support this ban.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

it is about sexism men have experienced which is what i commented on. I headed those previous warnings and just gave an example of sexism. Lad culture shapes all of society so explain how it does not effect men?

it is about sexism men have experienced which is what i commented on. I headed those previous warnings and just gave an example of sexism. Lad culture shapes all of society so explain how it does not effect men?

Hmm. No, the thread is not about sexism against men or women that men have experienced, but about sexism against men that men or women have experienced.

Lad culture is not relevant on the thread.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

sexism against one gender reinforces social norms that oppress both genders there is no simple binary here

sexism against one gender reinforces social norms that oppress both genders there is no simple binary here

I wouldn't disagree, but I think it's very clear that the point of the thread is for men to have a little cry about their so-called repression. Trying to broaden that out into some kind of proper social debate about gender stereotyping in social norms is exactly the kind of thing you've been asked not to do because it's not what the thread is about.

I'm afraid that you think you're right here because your point is important and true - and that's not the case. You've been asked not to broaden the debate with "whatiffery" and trolling, and what you're doing, in the context of the thread, comes under those headings.

Ban upheld, but you can appeal to an Admin if you disagree.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

okay i get it now if the mod had just said something like that to me instead of saying what i said wasn't sexism i would have understood it

Advertisement