Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non paperwhite kindle ok?

Options
  • 02-11-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about getting a normal non paper white kindle ( the cheaper one ), i know it work work in the dark. I cant really afford to go for the expensive paper white one.

I just want to be able to read in comfort at home and get books without any hassle from Ireland on the kindle store ( i think this is easy nowadays compared to earlier this year, rights restrictions etc.. ), is the normal cheaper kindle ok for that? worth the €80?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Absolutely. I have an old one myself and it's perfect. It's all about convenience at the end of the day, it's convenient to have the light, but if you don't need it then it's no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm using an old Kindle too. It's fine for reading books on. Yes, the Paperwhite adds some very nice features to the Kindle but so long as you don't want to red in the dark or very poor light, you're okay. I'd say a lot of Kindle users who upgraded will be selling their old Kindle online so you should be able to find a cheap used Kindle on Adverts.ie or eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

You can pick up clip on lights very cheap too. One thing to be wary of is the imitation Kindle cases with built in lights, you can buy them on Ebay for around a tenner but they are crap, break or don’t work after a few weeks.
    The official Kindle one is very nice but about 60 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

My wife has a paperlight kindle, I have the old 3g keyboard one. I don't like the way she has to touch the screen all the time but I do like the way it will tell her how many minutes she has left in a chapter. I'm also jealous of the back-light she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The paperwhite looks amazing. I've only got the regular kindle sans keyboard and 3G. It's still brilliant imo. It's three years or more old. There have been some occasions where I thought it was dying. The right sided next page button is falling off a little bit. The device stills reads perfectly. I'll actually miss it when it dies. The stains, the fingerprints, the worn buttons and sometimes noisy screen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If you're going to be reading in dark conditions on a regular basis, it's worth considering the Paperwhite if at all possible. I'm using the regular Kindle, and it does the job perfectly for me, but that's with the Amazon lighted case. That was around €40-€50 as far as I remember, which brings it up to the cost of a Paperwhite now. Before I got the case I was using one of those clip-on lights but there is no comparison in quality. Maybe I just had a particularly poor quality one, but the light didn't reach the corners of the page at all well, and I really had to strain my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

The Paperwhite is definitely worth it if you do alot of reading at night. With the young kids, the only real chance I get is for an hour or two when I go to bed at night when the kids are asleep and it has been well worth it because of that for me, so depends when you do most of your reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

has anyone had any issues finding a book on amazon.CO.UK but not being allowed to buy it since you are in Ireland, i remember that being an issue last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jogdish wrote: »
    has anyone had any issues finding a book on amazon.CO.UK but not being allowed to buy it since you are in Ireland, i remember that being an issue last year.

It's not an issue anymore. You can register your kindle with the UK site.

Advertisement