Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you paying for a pint? City Tribune story

Options
  • 02-11-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm shocked at some of the prices being charged in Galway after reading the price survey by the City Tribune.

Seems my regular spot in town (Buskers) is one of the most expensive :(

But some of the prices of stuff is staggering, Connacht Hotel (is that the old Ryans hotel on Dublin Rd?) charging 5-35 for a Red Bull :eek:

So, how does your local fare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm shocked at some of the prices being charged in Galway after reading the price survey by the City Tribune.

Seems my regular spot in town (Buskers) is one of the most expensive :(

But some of the prices of stuff is staggering, Connacht Hotel (is that the old Ryans hotel on Dublin Rd?) charging 5-35 for a Red Bull :eek:

So, how does your local fare?

If there was a link to the story and prices we might know? Of course Buskers would be expensive, just like Front Door or Dail or House Hotel etc. No shock there. Smaller more 'locals' type pubs are obviously gonna be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Here's the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

€4 was normal in most places when I left in August.
    That said, I lived in Cladagh and never crossed the bridge.

The bridge is evil, no good can come from crossing it, all the good bars are on the west side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hughes Pub in Woodquay: Galway's cheapest round.
    Hmm, about time I pay a visit.

I thought McSwiggin's was €3?

Or did that stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    I thought McSwiggin's was €3?

Or did that stop?

They've gone €3.50 as far as i know. Was down in Killarney last week, €3.85ish in many pubs for the likes of Beamish and Murphys, good prices.

€3.50 aint bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Who charges €5.35 for a Red Bull? That is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Antifa161 wrote: »
    Who charges €5.35 for a Red Bull? That is disgraceful.

There are reasons for that. Some places don't do Red Bull full stop. It keeps out the 2*V+RB crowd and saves a lot of hassle.

WooHoo!! Third in our area overall. Wish it was all on one page though. It's very hard to read.

I remember when the first Tribune survey came out (possibly mid 90s but could have been later) everything was on one Broadsheet page and drinkers were more adventurous and didn't confine themselves to certain 'blocks' of the town.
    A few of the pubs upped/downed their prices that time when they realised they had been charging too little/too much. Can't see it happening this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I can't see the full story without paying for the subscription. Am I missing something or just a cheapskate :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ah it's interesting enough. Worth paying the couple of quid for the paper as a once off. At least it will remind you of pubs that you forgot existed.

The price or bottles is the real ripoff. Over €5 for a bottle of Corona or crap like Bud in most places. An absolute disgrace and one of the reasons I've walked away from a pub after ordering a few drinks.

There are reasons for that. Some places don't do Red Bull full stop. It keeps out the 2*V+RB crowd and saves a lot of hassle.
    Where are these places then? Some of the most expensive spots in town are full of "the DVRB crowd".

Where are these places then? Some of the most expensive spots in town are full of "the DVRB crowd".

Salt House don't sell Redbull or Jager (or any "shots" really*), because they want to keep the DVRB/Jagerbomb crowd out of the place.

*they have loads of whiskey, but they aren't served as shots

I'm not denying it's an effective strategy but plenty of pubs in town sell Red Bull and have bottles of shots yet I've rarely seen anyone come in and order them, because it's not the scene for it. Besides, the usual way of dealing with them is to just say they're too drunk and you won't serve them (while Paddy is up at the bar 2 pints away from liver failure).

Anyway I'd like to know who's charging over a fiver for a can of soft drink. I think the stuff is rotten but I'll make sure not to pay for anything else there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Paid €4.80 for a pint of Smithwicks in the Roisin last weekend which I thought was utterly ridiculous. €4.80 for a drink that's brewed relatively locally. Even with added taxes in the recent budget I think that price is a disgrace. I don't know how pubs can justify charging as much, or more, for a drink that's had to travel a couple of hours up the road as for an imported one (I'm aware some "foreign" beers are brewed here too).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

''the west''
    cheapest €3.10 BLUE NOTE
    dearest €4.10 E BRUN

woodquay/bothermore
    cheapest €2.00 TONERYS
    dearest €4.40 HOSTY'S

East
    cheapest €2.60 THE EASTSIDE INN
    dearest €5.35 THE CONNACHT HOTEL

Forster st/eyre sq/shop st
    cheapest €3.00 RICHARDSONS
    dearest €4.50 SKEFF/MEYRICK

SALTHILL/WEST
    cheapest €2.50 LONERGANS/TYSONS ROCKBARTON PK
    dearest €4.80 THE TWELVE

HIGH ST/QUAY ST
    cheapest €3.00 PADRAIG'S
    dearest €4.60 JURYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Paid €4.80 for a pint of Smithwicks in the Roisin last weekend which I thought was utterly ridiculous. €4.80 for a drink that's brewed relatively locally. Even with added taxes in the recent budget I think that price is a disgrace. I don't know how pubs can justify charging as much, or more, for a drink that's had to travel a couple of hours up the road as for an imported one (I'm aware some "foreign" beers are brewed here too).

I was in there a couple of weeks ago, usually find that place expensive for pints anyway tbh but saw "beer of the week" (can't remember what it was exactly, Brooklyn Dog or something) for €4.50 and thought lovely, nice reasonably priced pint. Got a feckin bottle :mad:

As far as reasonably priced, not-pisswater beers go Salthouse and The Blue Note are ok. I'd rather just pay the €5 or €5.20 for Hoegarden or Blue Moon than save the 50c and drink Bud or Carlsberg.

Just popped into the bar in NUIG recently as well and was pleasantly surprised, Tiger on tap for €4.80. Obviously the place is best avoided most of the time but it's nice to have it there for the odd quiet daytime pint.

Dying for a bloody pint now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The pint of guinness has gone up over 30 cent in a lot of places in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Could someone put post the Guinness prices?

• Advertisement

''the west''
    cheapest €3.90 COOKE'S THATCH BAR
    dearest €4.40 GALWAY ARMS

woodquay/bothermore
    cheapest €3.20 HOSTY'S
    dearest €4.10 WESTERN

East
    cheapest €3.70 THE EASTSIDE INN/THE MERLIN
    dearest €4.90 THE G HOTEL

Forster st/eyre sq/shop st
    cheapest €3.60 KENNEDYS
    dearest €4.70 RADDISSON

SALTHILL/WEST
    cheapest €3.85 LOHANS
    dearest €4.50 GALWAY BAY HOTEL

HIGH ST/QUAY ST
    cheapest €4.00 MURPHYS/PADRAIGS/THE HOUSE/
    dearest €4.45 HARBOUR HOTEL

I don't really see the point in including hotels in these things.

can i ask why? this is a survey about drink prices, hotel bars sell drink plus open to the public like any pub.
    id find more people would complain if they werent included, few complain that they are, dont like them, avoid the stat.

always one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

why?

Jurys on a hot day do a big trade. Spanish arch hotel and house hotel are packed at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Seaneh wrote: »
    Salt House don't sell Redbull or Jager (or any "shots" really*), because they want to keep the DVRB/Jagerbomb crowd out of the place.

*they have loads of whiskey, but they aren't served as shots

they didn't have Guinness the last time I was in there either.

swiftman wrote: »
    can i ask why? this is a survey about drink prices, hotel bars sell drink plus open to the public like any pub.
    id find more people would complain if they werent included, few complain that they are, dont like them, avoid the stat.

always one

This is a much more emotional response than I expected given the topic...

Everyone knows hotels charge more. I'd be more interested in which is the most expensive pub. I haven't seen the published article now so maybe it does list the full table of prices, but when it's summarised as in the above posts it's obviously dominated by the hotel prices.

Everyone knows hotels charge more. I'd be more interested in which is the most expensive pub. I haven't seen the published article now so maybe it does list the full table of prices, but when it's summarised as in the above posts it's obviously dominated by the hotel prices.

i think there is somewhere of around 100 bars listed, broken up in 6 categrys, i did a quick summary well basically because it would take huge time to write it down.
    4 pages write up worth the €1.95.

pubname... guinness..heineken..bulmers pt btl.. coke.. ballygowen.. red bull.. vodka&tonic..total round

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So buy the paper and look it up.

I don't distinguish between the two types ... I'd pay as much or more on a classy pub aa a seedy hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

For some parts of town the hotel serves as the local as it is the only place within walking distance. The Menlo Park Hotel would be one example I can think of (Wood Quay or Bohermore is a much further hike for anyone living out the Headford Road direction) and the Connaught Hotel too (I think a trek in as far as the Huntsman is the closest non-hotel alternative for residents of Renmore/Dublin road side of Mervue etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

For some parts of town the hotel serves as the local as it is the only place within walking distance. The Menlo Park Hotel would be one example I can think of (Wood Quay or Bohermore is a much further hike for anyone living out the Headford Road direction) and the Connaught Hotel too (I think a trek in as far as the Huntsman is the closest non-hotel alternative for residents of Renmore/Dublin road side of Mervue etc.).

Also the glenoaks in Rahoon, westwood in Daingean and Clybaun hotel in Knocknacarra pretty much serve as the locals for the community (although sheridans is also near the clybaun!)

Advertisement