Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illuminated Reticle - What are your thoughts?

Options
  • 02-11-2013 7:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was out yesterday morning and got myself a lovely fallow doe. Headed out yesterday evening for another stalk. Was going through my usual spots when i caught sight of a few deer in the distance. Spent about 35-40 minutes stalking them, and got within 100 yards of them.

The problem i had was time was going against me. I was cutting fast into the 1 hour after sunset law (about 15 minutes left). I rarely stay out so late into the hour, but after spending the time stalking them i wanted to see if one was possible. I got settled into a small drain at the other end of the field. Got set up and scoped the deer. They were visible, but my crosshair was not. When i looked to the side of the (while still looking through) i could see a little more clearly (peripheral vision) but when i looked directly at them the crosshair was not there. I turned on the illuminated reticle and even though it was on it's lowest setting it blinded me, and the target picture disappeared altogether.

So now i'm there, within 100 yards of three Fallow Doe, and no way to know where my crosshair/shot would be. I immediately decided it was too dark, and not worth the risk of wounding, missing, etc the deer. So i decided to leave them for another day, and just watched them for a few more minutes then left.

Here is where the thread title comes into it. When out lamping foxes i rarely use the illuminated crosshair. On the sidewinder scope the entire crosshair lights up. Even on the low setting it's more a hinderance than a help as it's too much. On the Sightron i had on the RPA the centre of the crosshair lit up only, and it was sublte. Meaning i could keep good target picture. However as i'm shooting foxes under a lamp i can see the fox and crosshair perfectly so don't need the illuminated crosshair. However as i don't even carry a lamp in the car when after deer, as i don't want to give the wrong impression, i never considered the issue with illuminated reticles before.

So i was wondering what are peoples opinions on illuminated crosshairs. I like the idea of having them on the occasion i might want or use it. Plus as it comes standard on the Sidewinder i don't need to make the decision as to whether i want it or not. However i'm wondering where they might be useful, and do people use them often/at all? Plus which do you prefer? Full crosshair, centre dot only, some combination of the two?

Just to be clear i am not suggesting or condoning the use of lamps on deer. I only used the deer event as it sparked my curiosity about their usefulness.

I've also added a poll. I've chosen three options just to keep it specific, but please post in the thread as to why you choose that option.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Are illuminated reticles helpful/useful? 31 votes

Yes.
    0%
    No.
    90%
    juice1304zaitsevbravestarcavan shooterTactd5skippeyendasmail2011rowaronboypatsatFeidhlim Dignanlefthookerthe scuddwildfowler94German pointerrenandstimpyDe_Tomaso4200fps 28 votes
    Neither. They can be in some situations, but not always.
    9%
    xchrisshanaTommy87Kinzig 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Never had it, so you never miss what you don't know sort of thing, but...

I've been out shooting with enough blokes who paid the extra for it and once the battery ran out never bothered to put a new battery in, so that's what they thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

No.
    Use mine on my S&B pm11 for evening deer shooting in situations like you stated.Find it makes the difference between being able to take the shot or not.It has 11 different brightness settings.Some scopes usually cheaper end models that have illum can blind you when you turn them on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some scopes usually cheaper end models that have illum can blind you when you turn them on

Finding that out now. It's not a major hinderance, as stated above i rarely use it, but yesterday evening i could have done with it and i didn't have it.

God i miss the Sightron.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think illumiantion is no compensation for quality glass. I've had it in a cheap scope and as was mentioned a battery replacement was never considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

Use mine on my S&B pm11 for evening deer shooting in situations like you stated.Find it makes the difference between being able to take the shot or not.It has 11 different brightness settings.Some scopes usually cheaper end models that have illum can blind you when you turn them on

same as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

No.
    them illumination in my duralyt is only a center dot which can be made larger or smaller depending on available light. i find it very useful for quick target acquisition. in saying that i dislike the ones in which the whole rectical lights up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

No.

As above only difference is mine is a Steiner brand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

See this is when u realise I never should have change my scope ,

I don't know ur financial conditions , but as pointed out the duralyt for the money Is a top notch scope and ul could pic up other scopes second hand too .

For foxing and general day time shooting what ya have is gud enough . But personally I'd be changing so I'm never in that delemma again .

I was alway told your guns should be the last thing u ever sell and have a gud reason , cause as long as you have you gun ul alway be able to eat .

And u above all of us know the benefit of a gud scope .

Deer I say it , no ones fault only ur own !! ;-)

TriggerPL wrote: »
    I don't know ur financial conditions...........
    Somewhere between a train wreck, and destitute. :D

Over 4 years of no work, increasing medical bills, etc, etc have led me to having to sacrifice the top end stuff i used to own for something that will suffice.

By no means looking for sympathy as i believe a lot of people are in a similar position, but between the choice of no shooting at all or with a cheaper set up i went for cheaper set up.
    And u above all of us know the benefit of a gud scope .
    I've owned:
    • Sightron
    • Nightforce
    • Zeiss
    • S&B
    • Burris
    • Kahles

So i know the advantages of a good scope, and that is what is worse. I know what i'm missing, and where the fault lies. My last Sightron had a perfect little centre dot that had multiple adjustments in brightness. The highest setting was still subtle. A true stalking/top class scope.
    Deer I say it , no ones fault only ur own !! ;-)
    Mine and a fecking tumor that is sucking up all my money on medical fees. But yes i knew when i changed from the higher end scopes to the cheaper variations that something would give, and in this case it's glass quality.

Still for the single downfall of poor visibility in the last few minutes of daytime i cannot fault the Sidewinder otherwise. Under a lamp, when foxing, this problem is either not there or to such a lesser extent that it's not apparent to me.

However knowing that if i find myself in a similar position i am screwed is a bit of a downer. My only option would bee to sacrifice another gun, try go cheaper again, and put any excess into a higher end scope for the deer rifle. That or win the lotto. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sealice

Just wanted to know is it illegal to use an illuminated reticle out stalking? Some old timer told me any battery operated device is illegal out stalking

• Advertisement

No.

It is neither a lamp, illuminating device (on the animal), dazzling device, laser, etc. Just another one of those rumors that have gained legs and ran away with itself. Same as the those that still tell me it's illegal to lamp foxes, to shoot at night with a rifle, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

franknrol wrote: »
    them illumination in my duralyt is only a center dot which can be made larger or smaller depending on available light. i find it very useful for quick target acquisition. in saying that i dislike the ones in which the whole rectical lights up
    Agree as above.......
    The illum on my yokes (cheap as chips, but do the job) are center dot only with variable settings, find them very handy shooting onto dark coloured targets in the dying moments of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Illuminated scopes or red dot sights are not illegal for hunting deer. They do not project any light on the target, the light is contained inside the device contrary to lasers or spotlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Have it on my first Ebay scope, used it once for improving the visibility of the X hairs on a dusk and shady part of a field for a shot. Havent used it since.

Changed the scope from a 40 euro to a 400 euro scope and havent had that problem either.
    There is alot to go by the saying Spend your money on the scope and your change on your rifle.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    There is alot to go by the saying Spend your money on the scope and your change on your rifle.

As i said above this was not a voluntary decision. More a compromise to stay hunting with what i could afford. So while i'd ideally love to have my RPA back, with the Sightron, and have my Nightforces back, with the Sauer, etc. I cannot afford them.

As i also said above i know the benefits of a better, more expensive scope, but i cannot afford them. My question is about illuminated reticles on what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I haven't came across the situation myself. I have tryed to l
    Shoot with it before but I didn't like it very much. I found it a bit harder to aim. But that was on rabbits aswell. So they were proberly a bit small to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭patsat

No.
    I find them useful, my Nightforce with an NPR2 reticle is fully illuminated although I rarely use it. But about 2 years I was out lamping on a friend of a friends farm and spent ages trying to a get a certain fox into a shootable position. By the time I was ready to pull the trigger, the lamp was starting to die so I could only barely make out the fox... This poor light meant I couldn't distinguish between the actual crosshairs and the next hash mark on the reticle (2 moa above and below the crosshairs) . I flicked on the illumination and hit the fox straight away.

My Kaps used to have a illuminated dot on the reticle... was always on when lamping and turned on when waiting at last light for a deer.

My Vortex Viper 6-24 also has an illuminated reticle but hasn't been used a whole pile. I was stalking a fallow buck during the rut a few weeks ago...lying prone, barely enough room to move under the trees and looking at this big buck roaring only 30 away. Being so close I had the scope at 6x and being FFP the reticle was fairly fine so hard to see in the very poor light and dark background of the forest floor. I flicked on the illumination on a low setting and when the shooting chance finally came I knew exactly where my crosshairs were.

There should be 2 options in the poll...yes and no..I only ever used the illum on my NXS once and Vortex once (so far) but both them times they were there to give me 100% confidence on where I was placing my reticle. And its always there on both my scopes for when/if/ever I need them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭sniperman

No.
    i use hawke eclipse 6-24x50 illuminated mil dot on me hmr,and a hawke panorama 4-12x50 L4 illuminated dot on me 22,i find both better than the non illuminated scopes i had on before,fantastic at night and dull days;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    As i said above this was not a voluntary decision. More a compromise to stay hunting with what i could afford. So while i'd ideally love to have my RPA back, with the Sightron, and have my Nightforces back, with the Sauer, etc. I cannot afford them.

As i also said above i know the benefits of a better, more expensive scope, but i cannot afford them. My question is about illuminated reticles on what i have.

FWIW.Could you not get a intermediate price scope with multiple zeroing/range turrets??
    .Put it ion a set of QD mounts and change it between the guns and simply calibrate to the guns calibre?? I am using a HI LUX/leatherwood it has the capability of being sighted in for four different ranges or calibers.About 400 dollars,and the optics,despite bein made in China are as good as some of the European glass. It doesnt have illuminated optics,but from the most answers here,they dont seem to be a very big hit anyway.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

No.
    Good glass with a iluminated reticle is always a bonus. Atleast you will know for sure if your illuminated reticle is definately directly on a dark target properly or not in low light. Thats my opinion. I don't have it on mine but it certainly is the business depending on the scope makes/model as some have poor quality illumination.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    FWIW.Could you not get a intermediate price scope with multiple zeroing/range turrets??
    .Put it ion a set of QD mounts and change it between the guns and simply calibrate to the guns calibre??
    Not really.

Sure it could be done, but tbh it's a matter of laziness. I've always had a rifle, scope combo. When i go out i pick up the gun i want and walk. Something along the lines of "old dog, and new tricks". :D

As i've said above though for the sake of 15 minutes at the end of each day it's a small compromise for what is essentially a good scope. I was just interested to see others people's opinions as to illumination and their use of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

No.
    Use the Z6i with the illum always on the minute I hit the ground,should have a Zeiss Victory 1.5-4x24 Illum this week.I personally think it is essential for low light shooting,with the Z6i you can adjust to day or night shooting with brightness settings on the Illum reticle.Would not part with that scope for love nor money outstanding hunting scope in all light and weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lefthooker

No.
    There's definitely a place for illumination on top quality glass. I find the illuminated NP-R2 reticle very good on "dark" targets under the lamp or in low light. Even tho the whole reticle lights up it doesn't dazzle. I found it so effective that all my rifles now have the same reticle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

The Aussie wrote: »
    Never had it, so you never miss what you don't know sort of thing, but...

I've been out shooting with enough blokes who paid the extra for it and once the battery ran out never bothered to put a new battery in, so that's what they thought of it.

Mostly agree with this as personally have not found any great advantage to illuminated reticle for most stalking purposes.

Only time I have found them to be a real benefit has been in low power scopes for free standing shooting at moving targets.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

My zeiss mildot scope has an illuminated reticle but I never use it.
    I can still see the reticle in very low light without the illumination.
    They can be useful in some scopes with fine reticles like nightforce etc,
    My sightron scope has the MOA 2 reticle which is quite fine and is difficult to see in low light. I only use the sightron for targets but if I wanted one for stalking id get the illuminated version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

No.
    better to have it and not need it especially if there is a dimmer switch on it aswell.

Advertisement