Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eircom Router ?

• 02-11-2013 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any suggestions for a router to use for Eircoms broadband ? The old reliable grey one we had has finally kicked the bucket, the Zycel one they provide is awful so I'm looking out for a new one, nothing too expensive, looking to spend around 40-50 quid on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

any adsl modem that has a broadcomm dsl chipset in it. broadcom dsl chipset tend to hold sync better. also consider buying a wifi modem with dual band wireless so you can get better wifi on the 5ghz frequency (cordless phones wont interfere with it)

any adsl modem that has a broadcomm dsl chipset in it. broadcom dsl chipset tend to hold sync better. also consider buying a wifi modem with dual band wireless so you can get better wifi on the 5ghz frequency (cordless phones wont interfere with it)

Any brand in particular you would recommend ? Netgear seem decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

threein99 wrote: »
    Any brand in particular you would recommend ? Netgear seem decent

netgear / cisco / dlink / linksys are all decent makes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And don't forget you will need these settings when you make your purchase:

Basic modem settings:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Where's a good place to pick up one in Dublin city centre? Maplins or is it a bit pricey in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

mugs11 wrote: »
    Where's a good place to pick up one in Dublin city centre? Maplins or is it a bit pricey in there?

Currys/PC World in the Jervis Centre is one I can think of. Pity Peats are gone, as even they were cheaper than Maplins. Then there is Anazon who will ship it to you within 3-4 days from their warehouse here in Ireland.

Thanks cunnijo. To be honest I don't mind waiting the few days...what would you recommend off Amazon? I was looking for the D-Link DGL-4500 but they don't seem to stock it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I'm using a Cisco SRP547W at home. Works great and I never have to reboot it. Although it might be a bit expensive online.

Currently unavailable on Amazon, but yeah I don't fancy paying too much :)

• Advertisement

Would this one work to replace my eircom Zyxel one? Just a bit confused since it has BT after it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-Router-Modem-connections/dp/B003FS40KU/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Would this one work to replace my eircom Zyxel one? Just a bit confused since it has BT after it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-Router-Modem-connections/dp/B003FS40KU/
    Contact eircom and tell them router is not working properly,they will send you a new one,their new routers are much better quality now.

shrek008 wrote: »
    Contact eircom and tell them router is not working properly,they will send you a new one,their new routers are much better quality now.

I did contact them but my contract is up with them. So if I was to get one sent to me for free I would have to commit to another 12 months with eircom, something I don't fancy doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Netgear are a good brand and there is a good choice depending on what specifications you want. Ones with BT on them are questionable, as they may have a UK phone socket instead of an irish one and are generally suited to the UK market only. Along with that their line voltage is somewhat different to ours. Look for one with a RJ-11 input socket.

Apart from Amazon have a look at Dabs (http://www.dabs.ie) ot Komplett (http://www.komplett.ie). I have used both in the past and found them very efficent and quick.

Yeah I had a look at Komplett earlier but the prices are a bit higher than I would like. Cheapest Netgear on there is €80 :/ And a quick look at Dabs has a similar price point!

If you go on adverts and have a look for the old grey Eircom routers, there is lots on there and as they are old they are cheap, try buy one that hasnt got much use, I found a brand new one for 5 euros the other night, I never had a single drop out using those routers.

Thanks - have you got a brand? Don't mind spending the extra few bob on one though (up to about €50!).

Thanks - have you got a brand? Don't mind spending the extra few bob on one though (up to about €50!).

The grey eircom ones were netopia 2047 I think

Advertisement