Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese thread 2013

Options
  • 02-11-2013 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Ive just been reading this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62767131
    as ive very recently started to become interested in blue cheese and was wondering whats the state of Irish cheeses atm?
    I really like cashell blue, crozier blue and wicklow blue.

Anyone any recommendation for other irish cheeses or blue cheeses in general.
    Blues ive also tried are blue dauvergne, zelu koloria and persille du marias which are also nice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Tipperary Emmental is really good, always have at least one block of it in the fridge - lovely on crackers with a pickle or relish of some sort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Tipperary Emmental is really good, always have at least one block of it in the fridge - lovely on crackers with a pickle or relish of some sort

hmmm im only getting into cheeses but surely adding relish etc is kind of ruining the tastes of the cheese or masking it at least. Kind of like people who say they love pancakes when really all the like is heaps of nutella and bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't like blue cheese myself but Mrs loves Bellingham blue.
    Current favourite Irish cheese is Coolea mature salty fudge goodness!
    Gabriel and Desmond are fantastic parmesen like Irish cheeses - alas not made any more but still available due to their maturing time.
    That'll do for now.
    World class Irish cheeses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Smoked applewood is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Carrigaline cheese is truly lovely stuff. I don't think they do blue cheese though.

I'm a fan of Cashel Blue also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I love Crozier Blue I must say. Not quite up to Roquefort level, but not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Not Irish, but Saint Agur is one of my favourite blue cheeses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am a cheese nut. Love the stuff in all its forms. Being knocked up has put a halt to my cheesey intake though, as most are off the menu for the time being. Hard Blue's though I have recently discovered are allowed, so there is a big wodge of delicious aged Stilton sitting at home for devouring with pickles and chutney (seeing as the glass of wine is also off the list).

I love the contrast of other food with blue cheeses. It really comes into its own for me then. One of my favourite recipies is a nibbey starter. Prawns with parma and blue cheese.
    Raw peeled prawns, wrapped in a bit of parma on a baking sheet, into the oven until cooked. Then scatter crumbled blue cheese over the sizzling hot prawns, and drizzle some balsamic vinegar. It's heaven on a plate. Sweetness from the balsamic, the tang of the blue, salty ham, juicy hot prawns....

Cashel Blue I find quite mild. It's a cows milk cheese. Crozier blue is made in the same place, and is the sheep version. I prefer it myself.

Another sheep-milk cheese would be Roquefort. Packs a really good blue punch. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

adamski8 wrote: »
    hmmm im only getting into cheeses but surely adding relish etc is kind of ruining the tastes of the cheese or masking it at least. Kind of like people who say they love pancakes when really all the like is heaps of nutella and bananas

Nah that's like saying you can't enjoy anything with sauce because you're only enjoying the sauce - a little bit of relish or chutney lends itself very well to cheese. Hence why they're often included with cheese boards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I love blue cheeses. In fact I'm obsessive about all cheese, definitely my favourite food. I bought an absolutely delicious one recently in my favourite Spanish deli and I would highly recommend it for being both really creamy but also packs a punch like a good blue cheese should! It's called Queso Azul Hojas, and I definitely would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'm a cheese freak aswell!

Wickow Baun has to be one of my favourite Irish cheeses. It's a brie style cheese but hard to find. I travel a bit so always pick it up in Wrights in Dublin Airport. They also do a mild blue, Wicklow Blue. http://www.wicklowfarmhousecheeseltd.ie/products%20alt.htm

Love Cashel Blue too!

Also love smokeed Gubeen and Ardrahan. Ardrahan will stink your fridge out of it unless you wrap it really well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

sudzs wrote: »
    I'm a cheese freak aswell!

Wickow Baun has to be one of my favourite Irish cheeses. It's a brie style cheese but hard to find. I travel a bit so always pick it up in Wrights in Dublin Airport. They also do a mild blue, Wicklow Blue. http://www.wicklowfarmhousecheeseltd.ie/products%20alt.htm

!

Hard to find a creamier cheese- I'm addicted to it- it's not cheap but it's just so smooth. Supervalu do it in many stores I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

Hard to find a creamier cheese- I'm addicted to it- it's not cheap but it's just so smooth. Supervalu do it in many stores I've been to.

Oh great, thanks! I'm away at the moment but will definitely be stocking up at christmas! :D

Advertisement