Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting rid of Sci-fi/horror/fantasy books

• 02-11-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I usually donate old books to local charity shops but for some reason i dont want to so this with a bag of fantasy/scifi/horror books Ive gathered whilst clearing shelves (kids, they take up lots of
    space :) ).

I just get the feeling if I give them to charity or jumbletown they will just be, I dunno, grabbed as nowt more than a freebee and dispersed into the wind or something mad like that.

So suggestions, Adverts.ie? E-bay? Where does one give away books?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Put up a list of what you have. And give them to us.

In second thought, a mod will probably have a problem with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What about your local library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi,

I usually donate old books to local charity shops but for some reason i dont want to so this with a bag of fantasy/scifi/horror books Ive gathered whilst clearing shelves (kids, they take up lots of
    space :) ).

I just get the feeling if I give them to charity or jumbletown they will just be, I dunno, grabbed as nowt more than a freebee and dispersed into the wind or something mad like that.

So suggestions, Adverts.ie? E-bay? Where does one give away books?

1dollarscan.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Put up a list of what you have. And give them to us.

In second thought, a mod will probably have a problem with that.

Yea. I don't want this to be a advert.
    I already have digital copies of nearly all the books I have in print, which is why I'm cool with giving the paper versions away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

if u have any star trek books i'l give them a good home,i'l pay for postage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd be interested in some. Maybe do a list and PM interested people.

I found it hard to get rid of my old books lately. No one wants them, no interest on ads, no interest in book shops, or charity shops. Even in work people are bringing in books to swap and most get left there. TBH if you can move books on it encourages you to move to eBooks.

Blanch Library has shelf that people can leave old books, and take books. Like a book swap. Maybe other libraries do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

If you can wait until August there is a science fiction convention in Dublin: http://www.shamrokon.ie/

Depending on how many books you have, you could set up a table there and get some money for them, or just donate them to one of the organisers and ask them to put the bag in a common area. There will be a few hundred sf fans there, so most of your books would probably get a good home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I gave away a lot of my old books and now I regret it. I kept a lot of favorites but since things went digital I've barely enough to fill a decent bookshelf.

When I pass away quietly in my (some day) library, I don't want it to be a bare-walled room with a flash drive on an empty table.

Advertisement