Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social science

Options
  • 02-11-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi I'm a leaving cert student considering ucd social science. I would really appreciate if anyone doing the course or anyone who has completed it could give me an insight into what you do and in reality what career options are available after. My dream course would be occupational therapy but I won't get the points:(
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

I imagine you are a young and idealistic person. I know you have a good heart and want to help people, however, when you get older your priorities will change.

If you study social science, no matter how good you are or what career path you take, you'll regret not studying for a career that provides more money.

Take my advice now, go for a subject like business and finance or something along those lines were the ability to make more money is much more open to you.

Your dreams will fade and be replaced with much more practical matters, you need to plan for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Thanks for your reply. My problem is I'm not good at business. I took it for junior cert and barely scraped through. I also find biology quite challenging which is my only science subject

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Thanks for your reply. My problem is I'm not good at business. I took it for junior cert and barely scraped through. I also find biology quite challenging which is my only science subject

I'm sorry, I should have responded earlier.

Ignore his post, do what you want to do. Doing business and not liking it will just make you miserable. Do what you enjoy.

Thanks do you know anything about the social science course?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Don't know any details about the course, but a friend of mine did it and followed it up with the social work masters. He got a job as a social worker immediately after graduation. Do you know you can do a masters in occupational therapy in UL?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kensiemac

My advice is either biology or computer science/maths

Thanks do you know anything about the social science course?

I dont really, but the UCD open day is this Saturday, so you should pop along to it and ask about it! Probably your best chance to talk to people doing it and the faculty.
    kensiemac wrote: »
    My advice is either biology or computer science/maths

I wouldnt, doing either of those if you're not so inclined or just not interested enough, is a terrible idea. OP, if you think you'd like to study CS or biology (there's lots of things to do with biology at third level), by all means go for, but dont do it because it seems like a sensible career option, studying something sensible that you dont care about for four years will not result in you getting a good degree and wont exactly do wonders for your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UCDCritic wrote: »
    I imagine you are a young and idealistic person. I know you have a good heart and want to help people, however, when you get older your priorities will change.

If you study social science, no matter how good you are or what career path you take, you'll regret not studying for a career that provides more money.

Take my advice now, go for a subject like business and finance or something along those lines were the ability to make more money is much more open to you.

Your dreams will fade and be replaced with much more practical matters, you need to plan for that now.

I have never read as much shít in my life. Take my advice, don't talk about a course you are not in or know nothing about.

Thanks for all the replies. That's interesting I am quite interested in social work. I had heard about occ therapy in ul but hear it's quite difficult to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

i'm doing social science! (first year) . You have to do sociology which is boring but not too bad, also social policy which i think is interesting, and then a subject of your choice, i chose geography. I really like the course so far anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Hi
    I'm doing social science 1year.
    I came to it as a mature student so nothing has faded after years. ..
    I love sociology part and can accept social policy.
    Doing course only for money you may earn after it is the worst idea ever. A recipe for very unhappy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Sociology Undergrad
    Social Science (Sociology) Post Grad
    HDip Data Analytics,

I say do social science if you're interested, but in terms of career you may expect to do something after. A great subject very enlightening, but a lot of it, especially in the case of sociology is very abstract, so I recommend you make sure to focus on research techniques, which are divided between qualitative and quantitative.

There are plenty of positions looking for candidates with quantitative skills(statistical analysis), so in hindsight I would suggest using the electives system to enhance your degree by either taking some computer science based modules in database querying e.g. with SQL, or something in maths/business like business analytic (statistics based).

Carefully choosing modules as mentioned above can open options of both progressing in academia, as well as making yourself more industry friendly. One or two modules in SQL or computer programming, will give you something to put on your CV and keep option open.

In the past I would have said DO NOT do a degree for money, do something you are interested in, but now I'd be a lot more reluctant. In the cold reality of our current jobs market, it's wise to keep future jobs in mind!

Snako wrote: »

In the past I would have said DO NOT do a degree for money, do something you are interested in, but now I'd be a lot more reluctant. In the cold reality of our current jobs market, it's wise to keep future jobs in mind!

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kaleco

I am in first year in social science here in UCD and so far I am really happy with the course. I completely disagree that you should pick a course just on the basis that you would be more likely to get a job with it. I know people who did that and can't stand college now whereas here I am with a course that really interests me and I enjoy. I will worry about getting a job when the time comes but until then I am consistently trying to volunteer and get involved with different things which will help with job opportunities. Getting a job is about being proactive and enthusiastic about what you are doing. Employers will look for other things on your CV, not just your qualifications.
    Is there anything in particular you would like to know about social science?

kaleco wrote: »
    I will worry about getting a job when the time comes

That's just really bad planning. You'll be telling this story in dole que

If you read the rest of what I wrote you would see that I'm actually planning pretty well. I'm doing as much to enhace my CV as possible but I don't see the point in someone predicting that there will be no jobs at some distant point in the future in this area and there will be in others. I work hard now but only when the time comes will I be able to see if there are any jobs for me.

You have to think about where you want to invest your resources. Meaning your time, energy, money, creativity etc.

You have to invest where you will get the most returns.

I know you're planning some aspects of your future but just waiting to see if there are any jobs going is a bad planning.

I'm not trying to be an A**hole I just think people need to be more practical about the future and times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

<Snip>

You have to think about where you want to invest your resources. Meaning your time, energy, money, creativity etc.

You have to invest where you will get the most returns.

I know you're planning some aspects of your future but just waiting to see if there are any jobs going is a bad planning.

I'm not trying to be an A**hole I just think people need to be more practical about the future and times we live in.

The times we live in are just that, none of us know whether the future is going to be bright and utopian or dull and recessionary. Ireland may not be so full of wonderful companies in five or ten years time, and if there's another collapse in the tech industry that knowledge economy we've (apparently) got going is pretty screwed. Planning for the future is nice and all, but not wanting to kill yourself because you're working a job you hate is nicer.

A business (or frankly, any other 'safe' degree) degree is shag all use to someone who wants to work in social care (without an incredible amount of extra time spent in college), the OP also mentioned wanting to do occupational therapy.

It might also be worth considering that not everyone wants to earn huge amounts of money in their lifetime.

unknown13 wrote: »
    <snip>

Moderator I think you missed this abusive post

• Advertisement

This is the same point I am trying to get across. I would rather have a job I like to some extent and having an ok salary than one I completely hate but making great money. I have seen first hand my peers being advised to do science in college which they are now doing and really don't like it. This is only their first year! Although they are being what you call 'practical' that in my opinion is bad planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Moderator I think you missed this abusive post

If you were speaking to Fad, he's not a Moderator of this particular forum (The forums he mods are listed below his username).

If you were speaking to me, then I haven't been online all evening and only just saw this. In future, reporting the post is sufficient as it is brought swiftly to my attention and will be dealt with as fast as possible. Do not discuss/request moderation in thread as it his highly disruptive. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Im in 3rd year at the moment. I think you should only do social science if you want to become a social worker, and if so you will have to do a masters after the 3 years.

A lot of time in sociology is taken by lecturers discussing abstract and/or unrealistic societal ideals that are simply impossible.

I have many friends in commerece who gain much more usable experiences (class projects, public speaking etc)

In essence, I regret choosing social science in ucd.

Best of luck in your leaving cert, no matter what course you do its better than school!

Advertisement