Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kong fillers

• 02-11-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Looking for some inspiration on what to fill my dogs Kongs with, at the moment he is loving sadines in tomato sauce, half a tin per kong, some kibble and of course some peanut butter to plug the ends. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Looking for some inspiration on what to fill my dogs Kongs with, at the moment he is loving sadines in tomato sauce, half a tin per kong, some kibble and of course some peanut butter to plug the ends. Any other suggestions?

No tips for other ingredients, but If you want to make it last, just put it in the freezer for a few hours. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

vibe666 wrote: »
    No tips for other ingredients, but If you want to make it last, just put it in the freezer for a few hours. :)

Yup putting them in the freezer, using them to treat his separation anxiety. can't get over how well they are working, he is coming on leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Low-fat Lidl cottage cheese or natural yoghurt poured over the kong once it's full with the kibble.

Naturediet works great as a kong filler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yeah, those big buckets of Greek yoghurt from Lidl work great... pour some over kibble and freeze the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any dinner left overs, excluding toxic foods. Watch for too much salt too - but my two will enjoy anything from our plates.

I also use things like fruit and veg past their best, bread, food close to its use by- anything really. I dont worry too much about nutritional values in it.

A favourite is mashed banana with yoghurt, frozen.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone some great ideas here, while he loves the fish ones, and I am happy to give them to him, it's not something I'll be doing everyday because the house stinks after them. Yogurt ones sound much more neutral, I rarely have left overs, I freeze anything but on the odd chance I do have some left over veg they can def go in.

Does anyone know if I can get naturediet or any other good quality wetfood in maxizoo or petmania or the like, I don't order from zooplus much these days, I get his food from amazon, plus I wouldn't be using it that often so it would be handy to pick up a tin maybe once a week?

They have it in Petmania in Limerick, I'm nearly certain! Much cheaper if you buy on the web but if it's just the occasional tray it'd be grand. Just checked the latest trays I bought and the best before date is September 2014. So you could buy a few at a time no bother. (Personally I make a point of not shopping in Petmania, though.)

Maxi Zoo have two really good brands of wet food - Real Nature and their Premiere food.

boomerang wrote: »
    They have it in Petmania in Limerick, I'm nearly certain! Much cheaper if you buy on the web but if it's just the occasional tray it'd be grand. Just checked the latest trays I bought and the best before date is September 2014. So you could buy a few at a time no bother. (Personally I make a point of not shopping in Petmania, though.)

Maxi Zoo have two really good brands of wet food - Real Nature and their Premiere food.

Will pick up some real nature, I also don't really like shopping in petmania either, try to do so as little as possible, find it hard sometimes though, was looking for a toy for himself a couple of weeks ago, could find nothing suitable in maxizoo under €20, went into petmania got huge rope toy for €8, they wanted something like €24 for the same in maxizoo. They have fantastic products, great staff who actually seem pretty knowledgeable but their prices are are often on the rediculous side I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Does anyone have any suggestions on low calorie foods that I could put in a Kong? I bought one for my beagle puppy who is already beginning to 'winter well' if you get what I mean :(

You can put his regular kibble in it - just dole out his regular meal into his bowl and put some aside in the kong. That way he's not getting extra. ;)

• Advertisement

I just won't give the other crowd my business because they sell live animals, often in poor, dirty conditions and sourced from unethical breeders. And because of how they treated Patricia Ingle. Agree MZ is silly-expensive for some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

diced apple..then plug with peanut butter..my dog goes mad for it.

Advertisement