Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby proofing the house time!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I got the oven protector I. Inhealth.ie but I think that mothercare might do them as well .It cost €20

In regards to the plug protectors - my oh is an electrical engineer and he insists that we have them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

foodaholic wrote: »
    In regards to the plug protectors - my oh is an electrical engineer and he insists that we have them .

I'm a trained elec engineer as well (although it's not what I do now), and I think they are not needed.

So I guess we all differ. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1. The issue of socket safety using covers. As stated, these are unregulated and may or may not be safer than leaving a socket uncovered. There is plenty of press material available if you want to form an opinion.
    2. How electricity works and whether certain parts of sockets are live or not - some categorically wrong statements have been made regarding this, which if believed and acted upon may result in life-threatening consequences. It is for this reason that an intervention was made by moderators.

I think at this stage we have had enough discussion about socket protectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The only baby proofing we did was stair gates at the top & bottom of the stairs, and to move the really dangerous thing- knives, cleaning products etc. out of reach. Our fire isn't in action at the moment but I think we will get a nursery guard for it when we start lighting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

We also have safety locks/catches on all the windows upstairs. They don't allow to open the window all the way. As we have radiator's under the window it was easy for a toddler to climb up on the window ledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

We also have safety locks/catches on all the windows upstairs. They don't allow to open the window all the way. As we have radiator's under the window it was easy for a toddler to climb up on the window ledge.

This is something I was thinking about, something that limits the windpw opening. while its not necessary for us right now, it's going to be soon as the windows despite having locks on, when unlocked can be easily opened and swung wide open. While holding my child, they are reaching for the key and handle, so I've taken to locking the window before I pick them up, but they are still reaching for the key and trying to put it in the lock hole, I assume its mimicking what they see me doing, but it concerns me, hiding the keys might seem like an idea, but I dont want the exit unopenable in an emergency or for them to find the key and open it when they are a bit older.

Where did you get this? whats it called? is it a metal bar that screws onto the frame?

I read somewhere before, that upstairs windows were not meant to have locks or be lockable and since having a child, I wondered had that really been thought through, as a small enough child could get access to a window and open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Advertisement