Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa!

Options
  • 02-11-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

So this is the first year I have had to think about this and looking for a bit of advice.

We want to buy a sack and stocking for him- any recommendations?

Also what presents/toys/books did you find the best? Little one is a year shortly after christmas so maybe will buy a few bits for later on in the year also.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also a bit of the topic but any recommendations for a non slip bath mat that actually is non slip?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Also what presents/toys/books did you find the best? Little one is a year shortly after christmas so maybe will buy a few bits for later on in the year also.

Also a bit of the topic but any recommendations for a non slip bath mat that actually is non slip?

Thank you :)

We got our little guy the Tomy Activity Dome for his First Christmas and he loved it.. got great mileage out of it and it encourages them to stand and potter around.. it's got lots of little gadgets on it to keep them amused..

ppgc.jpg

http://www.toys.ie/Tomy-Discovery-Dome-!100590-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=dfd38909-42b2-4ddc-a20c-f37e6caed10f

For the bath I'd highly recommend the Mothercare Aqua Pod..

http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-aqua-pod-girl.html

I still use this for my little fella and he's almost 3.. great investment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Mamas and papas had beautiful stockings etc today and they were all 30% off so came in around €12 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭princess 11

Hi Nicky i got my little one a stocking with her name put on it for her first Christmas and still use it every year.It makes a great keepsake to give them when there older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a huge stocking with our sons name on it for his first Christmas. We got it in a kiosk in a shopping centre and they added the name there. We'll be looking out for one for our daughter this year.

We've the same dilemma as our sons birthday is a month after Christmas.

We got this for his first Christmas along with some board books

http://www.toys.ie/VTech-Grow-n-Go-Ride-On-!100861-prd.aspx

The usborne range of books are great. Perhaps a look at Amazon for books as the best ones get the most reviews.

The board books are much more practical than paper ones as they'll have to withstand a lot of chewing etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Thats not ... my books are brilliant.
    The vtech walker is great.

I have no idea what to get the baby here for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

We got the Vtech train for my son's 1st, He's 2.5 now and still at it!
    76600_prod_large.jpg

+1 on Usborne board books.
    Also, the sound books are fantastic, like these:
    W4413_PD_Thursday_10.jpg

What do the 2nd and subsequent children get for their first Christmas? We've got all the usual good stuff such as the v tech walker.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 2nd got the walker...
    No idea what the 3rd is going to get..
    This time next year I will be cracking up trying to work out what the 4th gets lol

My 2nd also got a scuttle bug and despite being 3 in January still flies around the house on it.
    They mostly spend their days laying with their big box of duplo (4,2,9 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Clevamamma do a good nonslip mat that has a cushion to kneel on whilst bathing the lo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The new baby is getting a jumperoo (got it for 51 pounds on Amazon) and a new Sophie Giraffe.

Our first got one of those smart trikes. He still rides it even though he's nearly 4! Stocking I got from a stall at the Galway Christmas market with his name embroidered. I'll be doing the same this year for the smaller guy.

The touchy geeky books are brill for the really little ones. I can't recommend Julia Donaldson books enough for the slightly older ones.

Bath mat: the alligator shaped one in IKEA is fab. Our first one wore out so I bought it a second time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We are setting a limit on presents as the baby won't know.... But not telling each other what we bought babba so there will be some surprise!

bp wrote: »
    We are setting a limit on presents as the baby won't know.... But not telling each other what we bought babba so there will be some surprise!

That's a nice idea. Our little fella won't even be one so I agree it's crazy spending money for the sake of it. He seems to love being outdoors so we were thinking of investing in one of these. would love to hear if anyone already has one end if they're worth it.

http://www.elc.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-ELCENGB-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=137772

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

yellow hen wrote: »
    That's a nice idea. Our little fella won't even be one so I agree it's crazy spending money for the sake of it. He seems to love being outdoors so we were thinking of investing in one of these. would love to hear if anyone already has one end if they're worth it.

http://www.elc.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-ELCENGB-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=137772

We have one!!! Not sure if it's that exact brand but looks exactly the same! Granny got it for him last weekend and I have to say he loves it! He turning one this month and he loves being pushed around in it. The sun visor is a bit daft so we took that off. But we push him around inside on it and I took him around the estate on it yesterday and he had his little hands on the handlebars the whole time... So cute! I'd nearly post a picture of him in it for you! Lol.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We have one!!! Not sure if it's that exact brand but looks exactly the same! Granny got it for him last weekend and I have to say he loves it! He turning one this month and he loves being pushed around in it. The sun visor is a bit daft so we took that off. But we push him around inside on it and I took him around the estate on it yesterday and he had his little hands on the handlebars the whole time... So cute! I'd nearly post a picture of him in it for you! Lol.

Delighted he loves it. There's loads of brands at varying prices and as of yet I've no idea what the differences are. I agree the sun visor is a bit naff. Will research it a bit more now and shop around for prices. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We also have a trike. It was bought by her godmother last xmas from smyths. Has a sunvisor which we also removed. So nearly a year later we still use it so much. OH finds it great for walking the dogs and bringing lo alongas he only needs 1 hand. And even now in the colder weather while i have a footmuff on thr buggy she wears her snowsuit while on the trike.
    I found it great during that phase when she learned to walk and would kick up a fuss in the buggy when in town. I brought the trike which she had no problem staying in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Also have the trike. Great yoke. She got it for her first birthday, she will be three early next year and she still loves it. Goes for a trike ride to the shop down the road every day, and we bring it to the park at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

We also have the trike for ours. I spent a lot of time with the Guy st Smiths finding out the differences and the main difference in prices is how much pressure you need to steer the bike from the handle on the back. The cheaper the bike the more likely you'll need a lot of force or even two hands.
    We now use the trike more than the stroller as it's much lighter and the little guy can see more of the world from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

We got our little one one of those trikes for Christmas last year and she loved/still loves it now. A great purchase in my opinion.

I'm looking for a toy kitchen for her this year. Does anyone have any recommendations that won't break the bank?

get the Ikea one,it is 85 euro.
    We had the ELC blue plastic one and the girls loved it but another child broke it on them and there ended up being rough plastic sides on things so had to dump it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The ikea one is fab. It takes a lot of punishment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mair1910

Anyone have any recommendations on where to go see Santa? My daughter is 9 this year so want to make it really special, would like someone a bit different also! cheers:)

We're going to the dspca shelter in the Dublin mountains. They do a story telling session, then Santa comes in and gives presents. You can walk around to look at the rescue animals first and there's free tea/coffee/juice and biscuits. All the proceeds go to the shelter which I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our youngest is the end of October. ..so its close to Christmas but not as close as some of you. But I get him something indoors for his birthday and something outdoors for Christmas (or vice versa)...so that when it comes to the summer we have something on standby.

There is/was a toy sale in mother care that you could pick up a few stocking fillers in. Those happy people figures are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

My lo is born December 20th....my husband hashis birthday on the 27th of noNovember so pretty much we are broke this side of the year haha! I feel bad for my lo because I think he will be jipped on his birthdays. We just got him a little fisher Price race track for his birthday and a few bits for Christmas. No point in going big until he knows what's going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mair1910 please read the charter re: use of the abbreviations DD/DS etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mair1910 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations on where to go see Santa? My daughter is 9 this year so want to make it really special, would like someone a bit different also! cheers:)

You don't say what part of the country you are in, so I guess it's dublin? Anyway, if not, in cork the Christmas By Franc thing called 'Believe' in fota sheraton is getting good reviews around here. Maryborough and Fota House santa's are good too.

Advertisement