Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Lambs, lambs, and more lambs

A greycrow a day keeps the eye pecking away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A greycrow a day keeps the eye pecking away

Great stuff. What are you using for a spring on the trap door?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Great stuff. What are you using for a spring on the trap door?

Oddly enough I am using Larsen Trap Springs :pac:

You can get them on fourteenacre.co.uk, or on Ebay.

By the by, it's easier make a larsen out of weldmesh and cable ties than the above wooden one, they're also easier to move and won't rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

QUOTE]

Groan......... just couldn't see them in the photo!

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

QUOTE]

Groan......... just couldn't see them in the photo!

I have two on each door, I notice commercial traps only had one and tend to sag after time.

They're staples to either side of the door, and to the inside of the trap frame so yeah well hidden from view there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Sheared the rams this week in between deliveries, couple of pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cran wrote: »

The nearest lad in second pic looks a fierce length of a ram...

Why do you sheer em so early?

Been meaning to post up a few pics of things here with a while...

Pic of the ews and lambs
    302890.jpg

302894.jpg

Its not all big thick Suffolks here (altho it mostly is) :)
    302892.jpg

Here's a big thick Suffolk... I really liked this ewe - she's nice long, strong ewe, quiet, just a nice ewe...
    She had one lamb, nice lamb, not too big. But he was coming head + 1 leg only. I handled her, and whilst she is a big ewe, she was very narrow... Disappointing, she's for the road now... :(
    302895.jpg

The few early lambs we had. They're not doing super, but they haven't had the best grass, so its hard to expect much more... :(
    302891.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

Fine stock cran...and nicely sheared as well!

• Advertisement

The nearest lad in second pic looks a fierce length of a ram...

Why do you sheer em so early?

Shorn early for 2 reasons, helps them grow and hope to show a couple at shearing in Gorey (first time ever showing)

You ve good eye that lad was my big buy last year for pedigree flock, delighted with how he shorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Fine healthy sheep John and a nice scenery backdrop.

Fine healthy sheep John and a nice scenery backdrop.

Thanks Green.

Would prefer a bit less scenery, and some more flat fields... But sure... :)

They look to have nice pickings in that picture john. Lambs must kill fierce well of them suffolk ewes?

eire23 wrote: »
    They look to have nice pickings in that picture john. Lambs must kill fierce well of them suffolk ewes?

They were only just put in there to be honest Eire ;)

Lambs kill out ok. But sometimes I wonder if they grow a bit too big... I mean, they grow into big framey lambs - you'd wonder at times would you be better with a smaller type of lamb, which wouldn't put so much into frame...

But sure I'm never happy - the few horney type ewes I have I don't like cos they aren't big, and don't have a big heavy frame:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

The few early lambs we had. They're not doing super, but they haven't had the best grass, so its hard to expect much more... :(
    302891.jpg
    They were only just put in there to be honest Eire ;)

Lambs kill out ok. But sometimes I wonder if they grow a bit too big... I mean, they grow into big framey lambs - you'd wonder at times would you be better with a smaller type of lamb, which wouldn't put so much into frame...

But sure I'm never happy - the few horney type ewes I have I don't like cos they aren't big, and don't have a big heavy frame:)

where do sell you them John ?

we killed a mixed load last (vendeen & Hampshire crosses)

I still don't have the kill sheets but average ko was about 51%

I was real pleased as it was the first time killing Hampshire x's so young

jt65 wrote: »
    where do sell you them John ?

we killed a mixed load last (vendeen & Hampshire crosses)

I still don't have the kill sheets but average ko was about 51%

I was real pleased as it was the first time killing Hampshire x's so young

They go to ICM Camolin, through cork marts.

Off the top of my head, they kill 47% maybe a few would do a bit better
    They never killed over 50% I know that :(

But - last year was the first year with the hampshires, and they were only on grass, no creep. (March lambing)
    I imagine to get the 50% you would need ration.

On a side note - recently my kill sheets doesn't have the tag number beside each line (it used to have)
    Anyone else find this?

Off the top of my head, they kill about 47% maybe a few would do a bit better

But - last year was the first year with the hampshires, and they were only on grass, no creep. (March lambing)

On a side note - recently my kill sheets doesn't have the tag number beside each line (it used to have)
    Anyone else find this?

EDIT : meant to say 51% is very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Anyone else find this?

Yea, really sickens me, we jump through all the hoops with tagging etc and we don't even have the benefit of numbers on the kill sheets. we're having loads of rows with them in the group, with hoggets they say you'd need to put in the 10 numbers on the tag so they don't do it. said they might start when he hoggets are finished:mad:

ICM in navan stopped putting down tag numbers as well last year, also think there is a 40 cent clipping charge on dirty sheep/lambs being killed now as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Anyone else find this?

Phone them and ask them for the numbers, there's a guy on the line taking the numbers, so they're there for you anyway
    Say you thought it was only the hoggets that was hard read (they have to read flock nos. and individual nos in hoggets) its only the individual no in your case as you have all the one flock no.
    They told us we could get the numbers on the kill sheets if we asked for them but haven't tried them yet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Anyone else find this?

yeah, we would be hitting mid 40's kill off grass for the later ones , they don't get a great do as they are mopping up after the cows

meant to post a photo as I remember you commented that they didn't look like hampshires when young , they are similar to yours now,

have the get one of the off spring to upload the photo, ... easier said than done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

It really annoys me when you don't get the tag numbers back on the kill sheets (from Camolin), its nice to see how each lamb killed out...they should have to give the numbers every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

solerina wrote: »
    It really annoys me when you don't get the tag numbers back on the kill sheets (from Camolin), its nice to see how each lamb killed out...they should have to give the numbers every time

Had a few ewes and hoggets skilled in Kildare last week. All numbers were provided. Cull empty ewes made average 98. Think I might got more in mart. Too late now but anyone in mart in last 2 weeks for cull ewes. Just curious really. Was going to take to mart but hasn't time and was just quicker to drop off at factory

Some pics of the girls and lambs while feeding last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Some pics of the girls and lambs while feeding last night

I keep very similar sheep to that as well Cran , they look happy

Are u feeding them meal cran

sea12 wrote: »
    Are u feeding them meal cran

Ye still feeding about 300 unfort, but it ends tomorrow when they're released onto a September reseed. The others all went out on closed fields last weekend. The new snacker I bought this year has proved invaluable.

Grass slow to come here but can see bursts this week, hope to get a dressing out now once the sheep are moved.

My 3 Lleyn lambs - of course only 1 ewe...

Will be very interested to see how they do compared to the Hampshires.

304236.jpg

304237.jpg

• Advertisement

Real grass tetany weather. Put 2 buckets of magnesium out as they are on very lush grass.

Advertisement