Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

And they were not long finding it.

Also pic of a few lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Serious grass, there, Sea12!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

sea12 wrote: »
    Real grass tetany weather. Put 2 buckets of magnesium out as they are on very lush grass.

Lost one of suspected tetany today. I'm off in the morning to see if I can dig up a bucket somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lost one of suspected tetany today. I'm off in the morning to see if I can dig up a bucket somewhere.

I lost one last week, I erected a small pen around her with an opening on one corner.
    came back an hour later and the lambs were lying beside her, they were only 20 days old so they'd only turn into screws. They're with the pets now

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Serious grass, there, Sea12!

Yep a few paddocks gone a bit strong and will close them off. That paddock is only that strong for about 50 yards after that it is lovely grass for sheep. I increased the stocking rate today so hopefully they will get it under control.

Quite proud of that paddock. Use to be only rushes. I reclaimed it 3 years ago and reseeded it. Lovely to see it turned round,

• Advertisement

Very similar here.she was a 2yr old ewe and had a set of twins about the 3weeks old. Problem is their gone that bit to big to bottle feed without restraining them and not old enough to be weaned.their in a small pen eating creep and abit of bottle when I can catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Very similar here.she was a 2yr old ewe and had a set of twins about the 3weeks old. Problem is their gone that bit to big to bottle feed without restraining them and not old enough to be weaned.their in a small pen eating creep and abit of bottle when I can catch them.

Yea ,put them in with the pets here for the creep, but they seem to have learnt how to suck from the bucket, so they'll be the better of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mayo sheep!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

sea12 wrote: »
    Real grass tetany weather. Put 2 buckets of magnesium out as they are on very lush grass.

Was looking for hi mag buckets, but a lot of them are for cattle and say do not give to sheep because of copper content. Would you want to know if your land was high or low on copper before thinking about these buckets ? Or would it make any difference. ?

Was looking for hi mag buckets, but a lot of them are for cattle and say do not give to sheep because of copper content. Would you want to know if your land was high or low on copper before thinking about these buckets ? Or would it make any difference. ?

Well sheep are very sensitive to copper. So I wouldn't give them any that had copper in it. Where are u based

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Would advise against. Any supplement containing copper for sheep warns the farmer to ensure their flock actually needs it. May lead to copper poisoning.

Think there may be some info in the molybdenum thread I started earlier, I forget now, you can search for it. I know forage and blood tests can be done, not sure how useful the blood test is, it may just be what the levels are at that time, rather than over time.

Some breeds are more susceptible than others, texels and zwartbles being two I can think of.

Thanks lads, I was abit weary alright . It's not big sheep country in my neck of the woods. All beef and dairy. I can source the general sheep mineral lick buckets, so might use them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Moved the ewes to a new paddock this evening...

Isn't it funny how when yer taking the picture, you don't see the thistles :( :mad:
    305257.jpg

And this is one with some promising nettles in it... :(
    Put up a pic of this ewe and her lamb there a few weeks ago, her lamb is coming on savage, very impressed...
    305258.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Thistles are meant to be a sign of good land john if thats any consolation!!
    Nice grass there again. What breed is that ewe and lamb?

eire23 wrote: »
    Nice grass there again. What breed is that ewe and lamb?

Hi Eire,

Would you beleive it used to be far worse with thistles, and just mowing em every july seems to have cut em away back. Its just the big thistles are left now. Are they called a bull thistle maybe?

Well - that's the field that got a lot of fertiliser, so you could say the grass would want to be good enough ;)

I am not sure what breed the ewe is, she came in a job lot I bought a few years ago.
    We would call her 'a horney' ;) But (aside from the fact that the word is horned, and not horney) I think she is prob some sort of cheviot cross, maybe a small bit of texel in there somewhere as well I'd say. The ram was a Hampshire Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Out and about last night thought I'd take few pics. First is Mule with twin Lleyn cross lambs. Second is Llleyn ewe with quads from couple of weeks ago, all survived she kept 2, 1 adopted and the other is a pet.
    Others just a couple pics of rams, can't stop taking them and they're easier to get a photo off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

The mods are going to have to start charging you for the free advertisement!!!

Fine stock there cran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

razor8 wrote: »
    The mods are going to have to start charging you for the free advertisement!!!

Fine stock there cran

I know need to advertise somewhere:D.
    Its funny was thinking last night as my wife said is there anything else but pictures of sheep on your phone. Its nice to have a place full of other crazies to post them, wouldnt mind seeing more pics of rams etc in here of other breeds especially ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Cran wrote: »
    I know need to advertise somewhere:D.
    Its funny was thinking last night as my wife said is there anything else but pictures of sheep on your phone. Its nice to have a place full of other crazies to post them, wouldnt mind seeing more pics of rams etc in here of other breeds especially ;)

I get regular reminders about the screen saver on my phone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

eire23 wrote: »

Looks like I'm going to have some excellent land this year !

• Advertisement

What does it mean when you have more thistles then grass in your field ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

What does it mean when you have more thistles then grass in your field ???

It means it well time to get out with some thistlex!

Iittle fec***s seem to come out of nowhere in the last few days. Sneaky ones , too low to hit with a topper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Yeah got one field that I thought I was making progress with topping every year . The worst crop yet seem to be emerging this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Iittle fec***s seem to come out of nowhere in the last few days. Sneaky ones , too low to hit with a topper

Thistles

"cut them in june it's a month too soon
    cut them in july they wilt & die"

jt65 wrote: »
    Thistles

"cut them in june it's a month too soon
    cut them in july they wilt & die"

Would agree with this. That field that I put up a pic of last, was destroyed with thistles before. You couldn't walk through it hardly...
    But I mowed em in July, when they good and strong but hadn't flowered yet.
    Seems to do a good job on em...

There was a load o nettles too - but after waning the ewes last year, I put put em in there. The place was very bare, and hey ate the leaves off the nettles. That seemed to do a job on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got my Lleyn hoggets shorn today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Another one

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Taylor Spruill

nice photo:)

• Advertisement

Lovely stock and there on perfect grass. Were u not tempted to put them in lamb last oct

Advertisement