Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'll know tomorrow, but 1 bale lasts two days, feeding 110 ewes I hope. They got that one yesterday afternoon. I spent the extra money on plastic ( was nearly choking at the cost of it )and got it double wrapped but really does make a difference. No mould what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

Foundations poured for the sheep tunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

gazahayes wrote: »
    Foundations poured for the sheep tunnel

No pic attached. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

They must've got a lot of snow over night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

IMG_00274_zps0c5ad5cd.jpg
    This fella is shaping up nicely, early days yet though!:rolleyes:

Getting some stores used to silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

nearly ready for housing just a bit of tidying up on the other side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

orm0nd wrote: »
    Shiney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Ya didn't spare anything there

Is it slatted, can't really tell from photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

Fine setup ormond, was it of cormac ye bought the head rails, Id imagine they will be a good job to stop them pulling in silage?

razor8 wrote: »
    Ya didn't spare anything there

Is it slatted, can't really tell from photo

not slatted, majority january lambing here, the plan is when ewes and lambs are let out to pull out the barriers and the use the pens for calving and housing a few calves , presently making up gates and brackets to allow quick change over

other side of the shed joins onto existing shed and will do for any stragglers and the ewe lambs

eire23 wrote: »
    Fine setup ormond, was it of cormac ye bought the head rails, Id imagine they will be a good job to stop them pulling in silage?

not cormac,

my son saw them in the uk a couple of years ago and the host farmer was full of praise for them

not much into making them if you have the time,

qqwVlf1.jpg

Figured out how to work it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Whats the dimensions gazahayes?

77 foot by 33 foot thinking of putting in 3 foot walls around it to give it an extra bit of height.

Are you going block on flat or cavity block walls ?

Edit, just after seeing metal sticking up out of concrete, so are you going to shutter it ?

• Advertisement

qqwVlf1.jpg

Figured out how to work it now

Jesus, theres a lot of houses close to you Gazza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

You're putting it up on walls are you gazza? what height, had a farmer here today looking at my tunnel, he thought 3ft would be better than my 2ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Hi there. Do you mind me asking where you bought the barriers. They look a good job

In fairness, your tunnel is a fine job rangler.

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Hi there. Do you mind me asking where you bought the barriers. They look a good job

pm sent

• Advertisement

77 foot by 33 foot thinking of putting in 3 foot walls around it to give it an extra bit of height.

You won't be sorry to have the walls to push against when you're cleaning out,
    What height will it be

rangler1 wrote: »
    You won't be sorry to have the walls to push against when you're cleaning out,
    What height will it be

Just measured it there will be 5' 6" above the wall to the start of the curve. Have shutters here that the father used to hire out back in the 80's 18" and 2' was gonna use both and make the walls 42" high. It'll give it more scope further down the line.

Jesus, theres a lot of houses close to you Gazza.

One on the left is my own, one on the right is the sisters and the neighbours across the road in the middle only talked to them the first time in a couple of months at my wedding Saturday! Just keep passing on the road.

Are you going block on flat or cavity block walls ?

Edit, just after seeing metal sticking up out of concrete, so are you going to shutter it ?

Have our own shutters just need new snap ties and keys and wedges

Just measured it there will be 5' 6" above the wall to the start of the curve. Have shutters here that the father used to hire out back in the 80's 18" and 2' was gonna use both and make the walls 42" high. It'll give it more scope further down the line.

What floor are you putting in it,

What floor are you putting in it,

Was thinking of leaving it clay for now might use it for a bit of veg and that out of season to try and get as much use out of it

Was thinking of leaving it clay for now might use it for a bit of veg and that out of season to try and get as much use out of it

Was actually reading lately that clay works very well because it gets so dry in a tunnel.....broken stone doesn't work under sheep, I learnt that the hard way in another shed I put up a few years ago, dug it out and put concrete in about five years after

Was actually reading lately that clay works very well because it gets so dry in a tunnel.....broken stone doesn't work under sheep, I learnt that the hard way in another shed I put up a few years ago, dug it out and put concrete in about five years after

I have some stone floor in some of the shed, and I find it ok. Why do you say you found out the hard way?

That's good to hear was wondering if anyone has ever used peat as a bedding under sheep. Readily available around here and cattle are very clean and content on it.

I have some stone floor in some of the shed, and I find it ok. Why do you say you found out the hard way?

Stones and ****e seemed to get mixed up....turned into a right mess

• Advertisement

The aul concrete base's are fair clean alright. Nice to be able to scrape it perfectly clean and know what your standing on.

Stones and ****e seemed to get mixed up....turned into a right mess

I find the hardcore all right, but I try to put down a good bed of straw when they go in on em first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

About 46" X 26". :D

Try Pixresizer. Dead easy to use.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    About 46" X 26". :D

Try Pixresizer. Dead easy to use.

Camera is too good on the phone have image resizer just keep forgetting to use it

Stock cover finished yesterday. Given it rained most of the day, I was surprised how tight we managed to get the cover.

Coming along Con. Your girls won't know their comforts next spring :)

Coming along Con. Your girls won't know their comforts next spring :)

Hopefully! At least now any work I am doing is progress :D Netting and guttering next, some more concreting then.

Just when you think they couldn't find anything else to get stuck in

Start of another year
    2014-12-07 00.51.49.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Start of another year
    2014-12-07 00.51.49.jpg

I presume the ram got to her early rangler. Your hardly starting lambing already.
    Good hardy looking lambs by the way

sea12 wrote: »
    I presume the ram got to her early rangler. Your hardly starting lambing already.
    Good hardy looking lambs by the way

Thanks
    No, they're purebreds, I like to lamb them in dec to have the breeding rams well grown for sale, don't usually lamb these till Christmas but was doing AI and could only book the Ai vet on the 15th july......it'll be a long winter after

Thanks
    No, they're purebreds, I like to lamb them in dec to have the breeding rams well grown for sale, don't usually lamb these till Christmas but was doing AI and could only book the Ai vet on the 15th july......it'll be a long winter after

Jeez you will have a long all season of lambing so. Hope they go well for u. What's the hold rate on Ai rangler

Jeez you will have a long all season of lambing so. Hope they go well for u. What's the hold rate on Ai rangler

Usually got 70%, but this time was only 50% , The AI vet cost €600 for 30 ewes so you'd like it better than that, it was all frozen semen from different rams of ours from years ago. had it stored and wanted to use it up.
    Wouldn't like to be paying for the semen as well at those conception rates,
    We'll just have the repeats of these and then nothing lambing till march

Few before and after pics of a bit of reclaiming / reseeding we did over the summer.

331369.JPG

331371.JPG

331370.JPG

331372.JPG

Bit more water coming out of it than I'd like, I might have to do another bit of drainage at the very bottom I'd say, but we'll see... Tis growing some bit of grass now anyways...
    Small bit higher / steeper than I thought as well :( :rolleyes:

Few before and after pics of a bit of reclaiming / reseeding we did over the summer.

331369.JPG

331371.JPG

331370.JPG

331372.JPG

Bit more water coming out of it than I'd like, I might have to do another bit of drainage at the very bottom I'd say, but we'll see... Tis growing some bit of grass now anyways...
    Small bit higher / steeper than I thought as well :( :rolleyes:

Great work and lovely to see john. Was that bracken in the field in the first picture.

• Advertisement

You'd put a fine house with lovely views there John.

Great work and lovely to see john. Was that bracken in the field in the first picture.

Thanks Sea.
    Yeah, 'twas mostly all ferns and briars. It used to be burned and that would control it some bit but we stopped burning it and the ferns took over altogether.

You'd put a fine house with lovely views there John.

Too steep for that. Would you believe I put a house on what I thought was a level place, and it still cost me a fortune to actually level it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Thanks Sea.
    Yeah, 'twas mostly all ferns and briars. It used to be burned and that would control it some bit but we stopped burning it and the ferns took over altogether.

Nice job, The sheep will keep the ferns and briars back, was it cattle on it before?

razor8 wrote: »
    Nice job, The sheep will keep the ferns and briars back, was it cattle on it before?

Nah, there wasn't cattle on it in a long while. But the field didn't have fencing to keep the sheep in it, so they tended not to eat it much, and then the scrub kinda crept in a bit every year....

• Advertisement
Advertisement