Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Sold a few ewes today, that's everything gone until next Autumn again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sold a few ewes today, that's everything gone until next Autumn again.

Those must be Joseph sheep..... you know, the ones they make the amazing techni-coloured dream coat from.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Those must be Joseph sheep..... you know, the ones they make the amazing techni-coloured dream coat from.

Told a Carlow supporter lately their jersey reminded me of a gay pride flag, to which without blinking they replied so do your sheep!

I was happy enough with my €101 price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

I was happy enough with my €101 price anyway.

To right! How old were them ewes?

eire23 wrote: »
    To right! How old were them ewes?

Mixed lot, two hoggets, a three year old I think, and two older fogies with the non electric tags. All ran with the ram. Census day tomorrow and I was over my AEOS numbers if I kept them. 4 or 5 lads were bidding at one stage, twas crazy.

Mixed lot, two hoggets, a three year old I think, and two older fogies with the non electric tags. All ran with the ram. Census day tomorrow and I was over my AEOS numbers if I kept them. 4 or 5 lads were bidding at one stage, twas crazy.

Good days work so, Heard of mayo hoggets making 140-150 at a local sale this year. Like ya, say crazy work

Good days work so, Heard of mayo hoggets making 140-150 at a local sale this year. Like ya, say crazy work

Yeah they would if they were good stock, but the key thing is to have min of two lads who want them bad, then the fun may begin.

Twas an older man who bought mine today, put the young pretenders to shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

they probably wanted them for the same reason you were getting rid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Do some aeos schemes restrict stocking numbers ?

ganmo wrote: »
    they probably wanted them for the same reason you were getting rid of them

I've often found smaller lots of 5 or 7 sell better than lots of 12-16, be surprised how many farmers (as opposed to dealers) are just looking for a few head.
    Do some aeos schemes restrict stocking numbers ?

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.

• Advertisement

I've often found smaller lots of 5 or 7 sell better than lots of 12-16, be surprised how many farmers (as opposed to dealers) are just looking for a few head.
    ya i've noticed that myself...never saw a lot of 13 sheep being sold

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.[/QUOTE]

Is that due to commonage or something ?

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.

Is that due to commonage or something ?[/QUOTE]

I've never been provided with a satisfactory answer to that. And I have looked for it.

I have a theory that I am still linked to the numbers I was at when the compulsory destocking took place in the late 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

rangler didnt think most pure breeds were allowed lamb till first of january each year,wouldnt like to get a flock inspection if that was the case,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

rangler didnt think most pure breeds were allowed lamb till first of january each year,wouldnt like to get a flock inspection if that was the case,

Vendeen society allows lambing from 1st December,

Blame it on the snow storm, we'll see them wethers when the thaw comes in Spring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

This year's wethers again...

Ewe lambs I have moved onto closed cattle ground.

They llyen x lambs ? Nice sheep

• Advertisement

They llyen x lambs ? Nice sheep

Some PB llyens and some llyen/cheviott cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Thought I might add couple of pics to keep this going, must take some of the commerical sheep. First pic is my January lambers brought in over the weekend, and 2nd 3 ram lambs brought in out of ewes after 6 weeks.

Housed some store lambs yesterday. Trying to feed them with the least amount of wastage so make a feed channel for them. There's always one who manages to thwart my efforts though be sneaking in through the barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Extra marks awarded for managing to stand in the drinker, probably dung in it as well!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Extra marks awarded for managing to stand in the drinker, probably dung in it as well!

That lamb is an example of what pet lambs turn out like . Always in the way and never thrived. It's about half the size of the rest of them, hence being able to get In beyond the barrier.

That lamb is an example of what pet lambs turn out like . Always in the way and never thrived. It's about half the size of the rest of them, hence being able to get In beyond the barrier.

Thought this might interest you, I could never get pet lambs to thrive on a bottle or keep alive, and they never caught up with others during the year no matter what I did. This is pic of pet lamb born mid Jan taken mid August, kept this fella for my own use. He's the lamb on the right back to camera in pic above just taken out of the ewes. This guys mother died day he was born, dont think he ever sucked a ewe.
    Answer is surrogate heated feeder, dont know why it works so well but I've reared nearly 100 lambs last few years on it and one 1 or 2 ruts and 1 or 2 deaths which mainly were my fault not weaning early enough.

• Advertisement

St. Stephens day on the hill, hope that is as close as the snow gets this year or next!

St. Stephens day on the hill, hope that is as close as the snow gets this year or next!

Allez les moutons!:D

Great photo, is that the 12 bens in front?

Cran wrote: »
    Great photo, is that the 12 bens in front?

That's them, I'd say there was likely a little more snow on the Maumturks as they're a little farther inland than the Bens.

That's them, I'd say there was likely a little more snow on the Maumturks as they're a little farther inland than the Bens.

Climbed them few years ago, God was tough going the longest day :D

• Advertisement

Climbed them few years ago, God was tough going the longest day :D

Which did you do? The 'turks are a lot easier walked, less rock and flatter (relatively) once you get up high. The scree used to be my favourite :D

The Benchoona horseshoe, was a bad day though and weather came in. Made it a tough day out....

The Benchoona horseshoe, was a bad day though and weather came in. Made it a tough day out....

No such thing as bad weather only bad clothing! Have done the Glencoaghan horseshoe, walked from Gleninagh via Ben Bán to Kylemore, and Muckanaght plus another one or two I can't recall off the top of my head. Horseshoe is best left until around the longest day, it's a long slog, six summits if I remember.

Answer is surrogate heated feeder, dont know why it works so well but I've reared nearly 100 lambs last few years on it and one 1 or 2 ruts and 1 or 2 deaths which mainly were my fault not weaning early enough.

I'd be interested in something like that Cran, do my best not to have any pets but you know yourself. I think Sheperdess? is one breed, sorry, brand, habit :D Do you know of others, or ones that'd suit on a small scale? ie chape but effective ;)

I'd be interested in something like that Cran, do my best not to have any pets but you know yourself. I think Sheperdess? is one breed, sorry, brand, habit :D Do you know of others, or ones that'd suit on a small scale? ie chape but effective ;)

Mine is a sturdy from wicklow, can't fault it. Check out sturdy products online have a decent site

Todays spectacle....:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Todays spectacle....:D

A type of shoplifting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Went to dose ewes for fluke on Saturday. Had to take them in from the furthest land from yard so need help to get them home. Had them all in shed and race full and the fecking dosing gun Woulnt work, only 2 years old and always washed after use.
    Couldn't find the old plastic one either and had thrown out a big syringe for stomach feeding ladt week. Do wasn't able to dose them after.

Some sickner

sea12 wrote: »
    Went to dose ewes for fluke on Saturday. Had to take them in from the furthest land from yard so need help to get them home. Had them all in shed and race full and the fecking dosing gun Woulnt work, only 2 years old and always washed after use.
    Couldn't find the old plastic one either and had thrown out a big syringe for stomach feeding ladt week. Do wasn't able to dose them after.

Some sickner

I got a set of spare bits for the dosing gun a while back off moreway.ie think they called it a service kit. at the time the valves and plunger weren't right and they came in the kit cost about 30 quid.

I got a set of spare bits for the dosing gun a while back off moreway.ie think they called it a service kit. at the time the valves and plunger weren't right and they came in the kit cost about 30 quid.

Cheers. Have it taken apart to clean and dry out and will see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

sea12 wrote: »

Some sickner

Had the same happen to me a few months ago, when I wanted to give the ewes a mineral drench before putting in the ram. :(

I got these for my gun, haven't fitted em yet acourse, will leave that til the last minute and then discover they're the wrong size or something :(

the kit i got had a new plunger in it too i think but them little valves are a pain if a bit of dirt gets caught in them.
    we have a few of these hanging around too for them one off doses

the kit i got had a new plunger in it too i think but them little valves are a pain if a bit of dirt gets caught in them.
    we have a few of these hanging around too for them one off doses

I do a bit of work with a fella that has a fair few sheep and all lambs/sheep are dosed with one of them. Torture i tell ya:(

I do a bit of work with a fella that has a fair few sheep and all lambs/sheep are dosed with one of them. Torture i tell ya:(

Hateful things.

Only recently did we get a dosing gun, used disposable syringes before. Coincidentally a vet visit to our STAP group, the vet used them for dosing too. More accurate she reckoned.

Dosing gun for me.

Hateful things.

Only recently did we get a dosing gun, used disposable syringes before. Coincidentally a vet visit to our STAP group, the vet used them for dosing too. More accurate she reckoned.

Dosing gun for me.

I would think she is bang on about accuarcy, but just not practical using them for more than 20 sheep...You would think at this stage they would have invented a better auto dosing gun, similar to the improvement in vaccine guns:(

I would think she is bang on about accuarcy, but just not practical using them for more than 20 sheep...You would think at this stage they would have invented a better auto dosing gun, similar to the improvement in vaccine guns:(

The refilling takes for ever even with a helper. Maybe it's the stuff in the doses they should be looking at to ease the work on the gun? Auto vaccinators are great yokes, wouldn't have anything else now.

Wouldnt agree about them being more accruate, a dosing gun once it calibrated before use will be every bit as accurate, and far easier to get the ewe to take the dose that with one of them other syringes.

Yes Woulnt like to be doing too many with it. Although if I had one last Saturday I would have used it.

As John Creedon would say, "And away we go"!

• Advertisement

Advertisement