Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Some pics of mules bought last week, hoggets and lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Cran wrote: »
    Some pics of mules bought last week, hoggets and lambs.
    Nice stock what will you run with ewe lambs?

razor8 wrote: »
    Nice stock what will you run with ewe lambs?

Charollais of course 'The Easy Lambing Terminal sire' :D

Cran wrote: »
    Charollais of course 'The Easy Lambing Terminal sire' :D

Thought you might chance the llyen on them and keep a few ewe lambs if strong enough

Thought you might chance the llyen on them and keep a few ewe lambs if strong enough

Lleyns get the oldest Mules, guess the idea is to use proven aged ewes to breed replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Hey Cran, how many lambs per ewe would you average from the mules. Are they easy to manage at lambing, would you have many problems with them. Thanks

Hey Cran, how many lambs per ewe would you average from the mules. Are they easy to manage at lambing, would you have many problems with them. Thanks

Scanned just over 1.8 this year, losses to weaning from scanning 7% so happy enough. Great ewes at lambing have to handle very few and fantastic mothers, made for lambing outside and being part time they make the job manageable tbh.
    Problems, one is lambs little harder to finish but no where near as hard as made out by some and numbers easily make up for it. Feet are defo better than cheviot, some say they dont last as long as other ewes but with so few lambing issues losses at lambing are lower. Main issue I see is because they are prolific you need keep an eye on condition when in lamb and even more than other breeds have them on correct nutrition (not singles they're grand). Other than that get ear plugs as they never stop when you have them in with their lambs, noise is unreal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Cran

What weight were the ewe lambs. What weight is acceptable for breeding ewe lambs of this type of sheep?

Cran

What weight were the ewe lambs. What weight is acceptable for breeding ewe lambs of this type of sheep?

Havent weighed them, but would think about 42/43kg as in decent condition and good size to them. They normally jump out of it when arrive here even though getting feed previously and not now. I've been aiming for about 47kg for ewe lambs, which is no hassle for the bought in ones might drop it to 43kg or so for my own April born ones as lambed 45kg ones last year with no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Cran

Rule of thumb is 60% of mature ewe, so if you're using 65kg mature Lleyns, ewe lambs need to be 40 kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Thanks Cran for the info, very helpful. At the moment, I have all Cheviots here. I have access to both mountain land and hill farm so was thinking of keeping the Cheviots for the mountain and change to another breed for hill farm. I would be aiming for outdoor lambing so mules seem like a good option and prolific which is good.

I took over from my Grandfather last year and the ewes are shocking. Out of 137 ewes, I weaned 119 lambs. Lambs are tiny and good for nothing. Ewes are small as well, so want to start replacing. Lambs on mountain weaning weight average 18kg and hill farm weaning weight average was 25kg.

I bought in 20 Cheviots last year and put them with a Cheviot ram. Two aborted with toxoplasmosis but from other 18, I weaned 33 lambs. Average weight at weaning 37kg. I put 6 ewes with 12 lambs on to the mountain land and average weight was 32kg. It's not the land but poor stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Thanks Cran for the info, very helpful. At the moment, I have all Cheviots here. I have access to both mountain land and hill farm so was thinking of keeping the Cheviots for the mountain and change to another breed for hill farm. I would be aiming for outdoor lambing so mules seem like a good option and prolific which is good.

I took over from my Grandfather last year and the ewes are shocking. Out of 137 ewes, I weaned 119 lambs. Lambs are tiny and good for nothing. Ewes are small as well, so want to start replacing. Lambs on mountain weaning weight average 18kg and hill farm weaning weight average was 25kg.

I bought in 20 Cheviots last year and put them with a Cheviot ram. Two aborted with toxoplasmosis but from other 18, I weaned 33 lambs. Average weight at weaning 37kg. I put 6 ewes with 12 lambs on to the mountain land and average weight was 32kg. It's not the land but poor stock.

Just a thought, rather than change breed would you consider running a Suffolk ram with some of your Cheviot ewes and keep some of the cross bred ewe lambs. These cross bred ewes have worked very well for us when ran with a Texel Ram also any extra ewe lambs that you may not need to keep would command a high price at breeding sales. Cheviot Suffolk cross ram lambs make good factory lambs too so its win win (I reckon)

Pics from yesterdays Stap tour
    [Clelands 4 year old Lleyn ewes.jpg

Clelands fattening lambs.jpg

Clelends lambs selected on figures.jpg

Highlander Ram.jpg

Primera Ram.jpg

primera looks like a vendeen but if I had ram with that rear end, he'd be in the factory.
    It seems they have the growth rate, which would be important
    The primera ram is sold along with another to someone in the south

Martins Factory Highlander lambs.jpg

Martins Factory Lambs.jpg

Highlanders have the bob on the head too like the vendeens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Great sheep rangler. Well kept

Great sheep rangler. Well kept

Those pics were from a STAP tour we were on in the north yesterday,
    didn't like the primera.
    The highlanders are good for maternal. primera are terminal sires
    Two very good farmers

rangler1 wrote: »
    Those pics were from a STAP tour we were on in the north yesterday,
    didn't like the primera.
    The highlanders are good for maternal. primera are terminal sires
    Two very good farmers

Wish our stap meetings were as good, did they show any figures or what lwg the lambs were doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Wish our stap meetings were as good, did they show any figures or what lwg the lambs were doing?

razor/rangler not wanting to hijack conversation but this is prob similar to what was discussed yesterday.

razor/rangler not wanting to hijack conversation but this is prob similar to what was discussed yesterday.

Thanks for that, Crosby's growth rate wouldn't be great (problem with cocci)
    John martins growth rate at the moment is about 220g/day.......around what our own is doing

Figures seem good, will have to study it a bit better when I have time. Out weighing lambs at the minute

• Advertisement

We have a good group alright, we arranged it ourselves, €450 for the coach for the day, and €19each for the dinner, both farmers gave us tea and buns...really enjoyed the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Took the plunge today bought a belclare to breed replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Picked up the ram this morning and let him out.

arctictree wrote: »

let the good times roll.:D

what breed?

very smart looking, is he a Lleyn

Yes, a Llyen. A four year old. Hopefully he'll do the job. I put the harness on so ill check later.

Took the harness off him this morning. One of the clasps had come undone and I'd be afraid of getting him getting stuck on a fence. Anyone use those yokes? Might just put some raddle on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Took the harness off him this morning. One of the clasps had come undone and I'd be afraid of getting him getting stuck on a fence. Anyone use those yokes? Might just put some raddle on him.

Used a harness last few years, it broke last year, debating using raddle this year like yourself.

The harness is handy, but they get loose, and they can tear / annoy the ram...

Must order some raddle actually...

Gave these lads there annual mot before they go out in about 10 days

• Advertisement

Gave these lads there annual mot before they go out in about 10 days

did ya get fertility test ?

Advertisement