Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

sea12 wrote: »
    I presume the ram got to her early rangler. Your hardly starting lambing already.
    Good hardy looking lambs by the way

Thanks
    No, they're purebreds, I like to lamb them in dec to have the breeding rams well grown for sale, don't usually lamb these till Christmas but was doing AI and could only book the Ai vet on the 15th july......it'll be a long winter after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rangler1 wrote: »
    Thanks
    No, they're purebreds, I like to lamb them in dec to have the breeding rams well grown for sale, don't usually lamb these till Christmas but was doing AI and could only book the Ai vet on the 15th july......it'll be a long winter after

Jeez you will have a long all season of lambing so. Hope they go well for u. What's the hold rate on Ai rangler

Jeez you will have a long all season of lambing so. Hope they go well for u. What's the hold rate on Ai rangler

Usually got 70%, but this time was only 50% , The AI vet cost €600 for 30 ewes so you'd like it better than that, it was all frozen semen from different rams of ours from years ago. had it stored and wanted to use it up.
    Wouldn't like to be paying for the semen as well at those conception rates,
    We'll just have the repeats of these and then nothing lambing till march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Few before and after pics of a bit of reclaiming / reseeding we did over the summer.

331369.JPG

331371.JPG

331370.JPG

331372.JPG

Bit more water coming out of it than I'd like, I might have to do another bit of drainage at the very bottom I'd say, but we'll see... Tis growing some bit of grass now anyways...
    Small bit higher / steeper than I thought as well :( :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Few before and after pics of a bit of reclaiming / reseeding we did over the summer.

331369.JPG

331371.JPG

331370.JPG

331372.JPG

Bit more water coming out of it than I'd like, I might have to do another bit of drainage at the very bottom I'd say, but we'll see... Tis growing some bit of grass now anyways...
    Small bit higher / steeper than I thought as well :( :rolleyes:

Great work and lovely to see john. Was that bracken in the field in the first picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You'd put a fine house with lovely views there John.

Great work and lovely to see john. Was that bracken in the field in the first picture.

Thanks Sea.
    Yeah, 'twas mostly all ferns and briars. It used to be burned and that would control it some bit but we stopped burning it and the ferns took over altogether.

You'd put a fine house with lovely views there John.

Too steep for that. Would you believe I put a house on what I thought was a level place, and it still cost me a fortune to actually level it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Thanks Sea.
    Yeah, 'twas mostly all ferns and briars. It used to be burned and that would control it some bit but we stopped burning it and the ferns took over altogether.

Nice job, The sheep will keep the ferns and briars back, was it cattle on it before?

razor8 wrote: »
    Nice job, The sheep will keep the ferns and briars back, was it cattle on it before?

Nah, there wasn't cattle on it in a long while. But the field didn't have fencing to keep the sheep in it, so they tended not to eat it much, and then the scrub kinda crept in a bit every year....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Sold a few ewes today, that's everything gone until next Autumn again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sold a few ewes today, that's everything gone until next Autumn again.

Those must be Joseph sheep..... you know, the ones they make the amazing techni-coloured dream coat from.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Those must be Joseph sheep..... you know, the ones they make the amazing techni-coloured dream coat from.

Told a Carlow supporter lately their jersey reminded me of a gay pride flag, to which without blinking they replied so do your sheep!

I was happy enough with my €101 price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

I was happy enough with my €101 price anyway.

To right! How old were them ewes?

eire23 wrote: »
    To right! How old were them ewes?

Mixed lot, two hoggets, a three year old I think, and two older fogies with the non electric tags. All ran with the ram. Census day tomorrow and I was over my AEOS numbers if I kept them. 4 or 5 lads were bidding at one stage, twas crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Mixed lot, two hoggets, a three year old I think, and two older fogies with the non electric tags. All ran with the ram. Census day tomorrow and I was over my AEOS numbers if I kept them. 4 or 5 lads were bidding at one stage, twas crazy.

Good days work so, Heard of mayo hoggets making 140-150 at a local sale this year. Like ya, say crazy work

eire23 wrote: »
    Good days work so, Heard of mayo hoggets making 140-150 at a local sale this year. Like ya, say crazy work

Yeah they would if they were good stock, but the key thing is to have min of two lads who want them bad, then the fun may begin.

Twas an older man who bought mine today, put the young pretenders to shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

they probably wanted them for the same reason you were getting rid of them

Do some aeos schemes restrict stocking numbers ?

ganmo wrote: »
    they probably wanted them for the same reason you were getting rid of them

I've often found smaller lots of 5 or 7 sell better than lots of 12-16, be surprised how many farmers (as opposed to dealers) are just looking for a few head.
    Do some aeos schemes restrict stocking numbers ?

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've often found smaller lots of 5 or 7 sell better than lots of 12-16, be surprised how many farmers (as opposed to dealers) are just looking for a few head.
    ya i've noticed that myself...never saw a lot of 13 sheep being sold

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.[/QUOTE]

Is that due to commonage or something ?

Yes mine does, states in several places maximum of 40 sheep (on 90 hectares), madness.

Is that due to commonage or something ?[/QUOTE]

I've never been provided with a satisfactory answer to that. And I have looked for it.

I have a theory that I am still linked to the numbers I was at when the compulsory destocking took place in the late 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

rangler didnt think most pure breeds were allowed lamb till first of january each year,wouldnt like to get a flock inspection if that was the case,

rangler didnt think most pure breeds were allowed lamb till first of january each year,wouldnt like to get a flock inspection if that was the case,

Vendeen society allows lambing from 1st December,

Blame it on the snow storm, we'll see them wethers when the thaw comes in Spring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

This year's wethers again...

Ewe lambs I have moved onto closed cattle ground.

They llyen x lambs ? Nice sheep

• Advertisement

They llyen x lambs ? Nice sheep

Some PB llyens and some llyen/cheviott cross.

Advertisement