Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Con, can you collect the rainwater that falls on the tunnel covering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

rangler1 wrote: »
    Who made the lovely gate at the front of picture

I made it but it's not my design, I saw similar for sale on Donedeal, in Carlow I think they were.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Con, can you collect the rainwater that falls on the tunnel covering?

I can and am, but it's very slow, mostly because it hasn't been raining :pac: I just ran the gutter longer than the tunnel, put a down pipe section on it and put the flow exit over the open IBC tank.

I've a regular down pipe on the other side but I think I will put a tank there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

con if you don't mind me asking was it much cheaper than a similarly sized shed?

fanadman1 wrote: »
    con if you don't mind me asking was it much cheaper than a similarly sized shed?

I haven't added it all up yet tbh.

It certainly was more expensive than anticipated.

My initial thinking was to build a shed, but I hadn't the money at the time.

im very curios about it now after seeing yours i was thinking on building a shed on raised slats for feeding lambs im kinda curios of the tunnel now. looks a mighty job

• Advertisement

im very curios about it now after seeing yours i was thinking on building a shed on raised slats for feeding lambs im kinda curios of the tunnel now. looks a mighty job

Build the shed if you can afford it would be my advice :)

The "net" on the side of the tunnel is pure useless, if this solution works to keep water out then it'll be grand.

You have to be careful around the cover. I was moving 14ft timbers inside today and 6m half pipe troughs, one wrong move and I'd be seeing sky lol.

Visit a few first.

any word of how they stick exhaust gases from tractors ? just thinking now about cleaning it out nobody has a tunnel up my way at all .

any word of how they stick exhaust gases from tractors ? just thinking now about cleaning it out nobody has a tunnel up my way at all .

Only a quad here, I'd be looking to get some sort of pipe made up to redirect the exhaust gasses. Hot stuff and plastic cover won't mix well I imagine. Cover on my tunnel gets a bit softer when the sun comes out.

Put a 90 degree bend on the top of the exhaust pipe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Put a 90 degree bend on the top of the exhaust pipe

And be careful what way it's pointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I've a tunnel, it's fairly high, but the exhaust would be near it at the side when I'm cleaning it out, it doesn't do any harm, I suppose I wouldn't want to leave the tractor running in the one place though,
    Like con said, you're better with a shed, but I needed something in a hurry and also don't intend to have sheep much longer:D

so what u are saying is save a bit batter on another year without and stick to concert and tin ha :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

rangler1 wrote: »
    I've a tunnel, it's fairly high, but the exhaust would be near it at the side when I'm cleaning it out, it doesn't do any harm, I suppose I wouldn't want to leave the tractor running in the one place though,
    Like con said, you're better with a shed, but I needed something in a hurry and also don't intend to have sheep much longer:D
    Will you lease it out ? Would you like to see sheep still on the farm or would it bother you what type farming went next ?
    I made it but it's not my design, I saw similar for sale on Donedeal, in Carlow I think the
    Tasty looking timber work Con , did they work out much cheaper than buying them ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Tasty looking timber work Con , did they work out much cheaper than buying them ?

Dearer in the finish by the time I have connectors put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dearer in the finish by the time I have connectors put on them.

Hard to beat the scale the manufacturers of those things would have I suppose , do they sell the steel ones back your way ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Hard to beat the scale the manufacturers of those things would have I suppose , do they sell the steel ones back your way ?

I made my own due to the funny sizes I wanted. Yeah they sell the steel ones in Recess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Colostrum cupcake anyone? Last prep before the madness begins. Any lamb that looks like it hasn't suckled will be getting tubed this year, taking no chances as days off work will be few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Colostrum cupcake anyone? Last prep before the madness begins. Any lamb that looks like it hasn't suckled will be getting tubed this year, taking no chances as days off work will be few.

Make sure everyone in the house knows exactly what they are! Remember taking out some 'milk' out of the freezer, thank Christ dad landed home before it thawed

On another note...colostrum when drying smells like toffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Someone was looking for a picture of the homemade lamb feeder but i can't remember who......anyways this is all it is, have only one line set up at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

My shed is open on a few sides, so I use some old heras fencing to keep fox out !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

My shed is open on a few sides, so I use some old heras fencing to keep fox out !!!

Good guntering. Is it to keep foxes out or sheep in?

Both really. I ran old scaffolding boards / old metal lying around the place along ends because fencing sits a few inches above ground, unless blocks are recessed into floor. Picked up fences for about €20 each secondhand. Outside of lambing season they're used for fencing off the hay /straw as sheep would destroy it.

Neighbours scrub ram hogget nailed one at least, first set of twins out of the group not due to start for another 12-14 days.

Its an ill wind........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Neighbours scrub ram hogget nailed one at least, first set of twins out of the group not due to start for another 12-14 days.

I like the hanging feed bag with the hay in it. Good guntering...

arctictree wrote: »
    I like the hanging feed bag with the hay in it. Good guntering...

Ah yeah been doing that for years. Waste of a good bag all the same, usually when I'm stuck for one all I can find is ones with two big holes in them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Anyone know what would have done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gazahayes wrote: »
    Anyone know what would have done this?

Probably a fox did the initial damage and was then picked over by crows.

Would that been a dog fox as the vixen wouldn't have left it behind ? As I usually never find the lambs afterward. Had hunters out here to clear the place of foxes. It never ceases to amaze me that directly in the days afterwards how, I don't hear the neighbours dogs barking all night in the distance and I begin to see hares peeking out at me in the fields, as if to say the coast is clear and we can now come out and play without loving in fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Would that been a dog fox as the vixen wouldn't have left it behind ? As I usually never find the lambs afterward. Had hunters out here to clear the place of foxes. It never ceases to amaze me that directly in the days afterwards how, I don't hear the neighbours dogs barking all night in the distance and I begin to see hares peeking out at me in the fields, as if to say the coast is clear and we can now come out and play without loving in fear.

It depends if they are nursing cubs. If they have cubs they will usually bring back the lamb(usually its the dog foxes hunting at this time of the year with the vixen in the den). However there will be non-breeders in the population too and they will typically eat their fill on the spot and leave the rest. Probably what happend here but what can happen too is that the ewe can drive away the fox before he/she has time to move or feed on the lamb.

Advertisement