Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Releasing the first of the lambs to field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Releasing the first of the lambs to field.

One giant leap for lamb kind !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Back to work today so find myself constantly checking the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Great set up, what do you if you see a head out and no legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was thinking of getting one myself but is it hard to see if a ewe is in the early stages of lambing? I would think that you can only see when the lambs are out?

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Great set up, what do you if you see a head out and no legs?

Ring a neighbour, he works out aswell so we both take some time off for lambing, he takes the first fortnight and I take the next, so we run between the two farms when we're off. I watched one lamb last year on the camera and the ewe didn't lick the bag off it so I watched it die on front of my eyes and couldn't do anything about it, was a sickener.

Artictree - you will generally spot a ewe moving to the top of the shed where there's fewer ewes lying and pawing at the straw so you generally have good notice when ones getting sick, but saying that they can surprise you. I've sprinted to the shed a few times in the middle of the night only to see a ewe with a harness on straining against her prolapse and i thought she was lambing.

I'd love a system like that! what kind of internet connection do you need to run it?

Ring a neighbour, he works out aswell so we both take some time off for lambing, he takes the first fortnight and I take the next, so we run between the two farms when we're off. I watched one lamb last year on the camera and the ewe didn't lick the bag off it so I watched it die on front of my eyes and couldn't do anything about it, was a sickener.

Artictree - you will generally spot a ewe moving to the top of the shed where there's fewer ewes lying and pawing at the straw so you generally have good notice when ones getting sick, but saying that they can surprise you. I've sprinted to the shed a few times in the middle of the night only to see a ewe with a harness on straining against her prolapse and i thought she was lambing.

I take a fortnight off as well. It's good to have a neighbour you can rely on, thankfully my father is here to keep an eye on things. Camera would be great for last few when you could take a peep from the bed and if nothing happening get another hour in bed

ganmo wrote: »
    I'd love a system like that! what kind of internet connection do you need to run it?

Ganmo - it runs off my broadband in the house, which is 150m from the shed, but directly in line of sight with each other. There is a receiver on the pole where the satellite dish is at the back of the house and another just outside the sheep shed, mounted high up on the wall. The one at the house basically acts as a wifi repeater and is capable of sending the wifi up to 500m as long as the line of sight is not obstructed. All I needed was a power source in the sheep shed and then I can run it off my ip address at the house.
    My upload speed isn't great as I'm at the end of the exchange but the camera still reacts instantly when I swipe on the phone and I'm 25 miles away in work!
    Wasn't cheap, two DTZ Sonys so I put one in the cattle house, one in the sheep house and just a fixed camera over the calving pen. Anyone can login from anywhere so we all keep the father going that we're watching him round the yard all day to see what he's at :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

I take a fortnight off as well. It's good to have a neighbour you can rely on, thankfully my father is here to keep an eye on things. Camera would be great for last few when you could take a peep from the bed and if nothing happening get another hour in bed

off today for two weeks, not a sign of lamb yet besides 10 ewes that magicaly lambed 2 weeks ago. We'd normally be at a nice pace by now with full belt by 3/4 days into my first week off, hope they kick off tomorrow. By this time next week should be at 40 a day min lambing down hopefully, hope the weather stays good.....

• Advertisement

Cran wrote: »
    off today for two weeks, not a sign of lamb yet besides 10 ewes that magicaly lambed 2 weeks ago. We'd normally be at a nice pace by now with full belt by 3/4 days into my first week off, hope they kick off tomorrow. By this time next week should be at 40 a day min lambing down hopefully, hope the weather stays good.....

I had 10 the first day I started, usually you get one or 2 before that but not this year. 1/2 ewe lambs and 1/2 mountain ewes left here now

40 a day is a lot of work but made a bit easier if outside and the weather in your favour

I'm hitting a brick wall today with tiredness, just can't sleep during the day

I had 10 the first day I started, usually you get one or 2 before that but not this year. 1/2 ewe lambs and 1/2 mountain ewes left here now

40 a day is a lot of work but made a bit easier if outside and the weather in your favour

Have help this year, finally have someone working 20 to 30 hours a week on the farm now and really makes a difference. This year his first lambing but be well able for it, tbh counldnt handle our numbers part time in-doors.

And this cold wind out there ain't helping at the moment, if I wasn't tired don't think I'd even notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I have the same set up Antrim. Check the camera on laptop every morning at 6.30 before heading to work.
    2 ewes with 4 lambs on camera this morning. Had to stomach tube 2 lambs. Before heading to work this morning. Not due to take holidays until middle of next week.

Would be lost without camera though

Ration,straw, water and silage all done. I'm exhausted, so yer on yer own until early in the morning. Should ye need to lamb overnight please tell lambs to assume diving position. Clocking off time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

I have a ip cam set up in the shed I have a an old wireless router that I but a pre pay sim card in. I but €25 euro on it and it last for 30 day or 7.5 GB whichever comes first. Had a text from my brother in oz at 5 this morning letting me know ewe was lambing. He loves it has he can keep an eye on what’s going on for some reason he misses lambing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tom_k

Only five ewes left to lamb and a dozen or so ewe lambs to lamb in a week or so. Just did a quick calculation and 65% of this years lambs so far are rams, looking at last years figures it was 52%/48% in favour of ewe lambs :confused:

All lambs outside are doing well despite the nasty enough weather, a little concerned at the lack of grass though. Ticks on lambs have become evident in the last few days though. I'll probably put Vector on them unless anyone has any other recommendations. In the mean time I've trained the lambs not to lie on the ground until I've completed tick treatment :)

7e68961aa577e04674aa2366c25fd40a.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Strip wire ready for lambs to test out
    AsrzGTZ.jpg
    The tunnel nearly finished
    uaDSJsL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

gazahayes wrote: »
    Strip wire ready for lambs to test out
    AsrzGTZ.jpg
    The tunnel nearly finished
    uaDSJsL.jpg

Grand tunnel gaza. What size is it ? And if you don't mind, what did it set u back ?

Grand tunnel gaza. What size is it ? And if you don't mind, what did it set u back ?

It's 77 foot long by 33 feet wide haven't fully done the figures but approx 5 grand concrete alone was 1900 for foundation and walls

• Advertisement

It's 77 foot long by 33 feet wide haven't fully done the figures but approx 5 grand concrete alone was 1900 for foundation and walls

Grand setup, where did you buy the tunnel

Cran wrote: »
    Grand setup, where did you buy the tunnel

Saw it on donedeal have another one 77 by 30. To put up sometime next year maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Saw it on donedeal have another one 77 by 30. To put up sometime next year maybe

Is there any chance those bulbs will melt the plastic ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is there any chance those bulbs will melt the plastic ?

Not so far anyway they're halogen type ones with the glass bulb around it. They're Al least 6 inches away from the plastic too

enjoying the evening sun 345011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Some pics from this year, still 40 hoggets to lamb.
    Here's some of the lambed hoggets
    2015-04-15 15.50.33.jpg

2015-04-15 15.49.18.jpg

Adult ewes with their Lleyn lambs.
    busy paddock with 180 ewes and about 340 lambs on 10 acre
    2015-04-15 16.17.31.jpg

2015-04-15 16.16.56.jpg

healthy looking stock. Would you get any mismothering with the 180 ewes?

healthy looking stock. Would you get any mismothering with the 180 ewes?

They're not transferred to the big bunch until they're a week old, so they're well bonded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

rangler1 wrote: »
    Some pics from this year, still 40 hoggets to lamb.
    Here's some of the lambed hoggets
    2015-04-15 15.50.33.jpg

2015-04-15 15.49.18.jpg

Adult ewes with their Lleyn lambs.
    busy paddock with 180 ewes and about 340 lambs on 10 acre
    2015-04-15 16.17.31.jpg

2015-04-15 16.16.56.jpg

Nice ewes an lambs rangler.

How old are the lambs in the big group? They're fine and fat looking.

Fine fields and hedges as well rangler.

What? Jealous? Me? What gave you that idea... ;):)

• Advertisement

Nice ewes an lambs rangler.

How old are the lambs in the big group? They're fine and fat looking.

Fine fields and hedges as well rangler.

What? Jealous? Me? What gave you that idea... ;):)

and I envy you, I would've given anything to get a different career, tried many times, never had the brains....... aren't I always saying to get away from farming
    Lambs were born the first two weeks of march.

Advertisement