Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

enjoying the sun when it appears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Doing abit of fencing between showers the old fashioned way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

P4241073c_zpspktm6xet.jpg

P4241072b_zpscr3cboaj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

That's fair hardship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Said I might as well put up couple of my on farm hobbie (or folly as my old man calls it :) ), first is Jan born ram lamb and second is ewe lamb by new ram. Really happy with the ewe lamb as she's a twin and sister is every bit as good.
    Will try and get pics of commercials and put up as probably more interest in them, keep this trend moving ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Fair play! Someone borrowed our post driver like that a few years ago and we could never find one since.

It's not to bad. I go out and do it over a few days. A few stakes here and there so it breaks it up. Find it easier then the sledge and the posts don't split apart. Would only attempt it when ground is wet and soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

hate that yock with a passion hi give me a good mallet any day over that c##t of a yoke ha

fanadman1 wrote: »
    hate that yock with a passion hi give me a good mallet any day over that c##t of a yoke ha

:D:D

will spend most of the summer fencein most with a post driver but some will be sledgein none will be that yoke

• Advertisement

will spend most of the summer fencein most with a post driver but some will be sledgein nobe will be that yoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

will spend most of the summer fencein most with a post driver but some will be sledgein nobe will be that yoke

:)

I find it those yokes good enough

Best of all is a mallet, as the sledge tends to crack the posts, whereas a mallet wont be as much. But I broke the handle in the mallet, and haven't gotten round to fixing it yet :o

Also - if I'm driving a good few posts, I find that yoke easier on the body, whereas after driving a 12 - 15 stakes with the sledge, I'd be half dead :)
    (But maybe I just need to get a bit fitter) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hit me head once with one of those post drivers. Feckin painful. Heard of a local that did himself some serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

I just use a big heavy crow bar used to be a shaft from a binder or something about 5 foot long and 1and half inches solid bar about 30 kgs. Make the hole with it first and then bate it down with it or if feeling lazy shove it down with tractor loader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

i call that post driver a 'thunker' never tried a sledge driving posts but i don't have good aim with a hammer so couldn't be any better with a sledge

My aim ain't the best with the sledge either. Find you can apply more power in the downward motion when using the post driver as you it cannt hit anything else other then top of post. I also wear ear mufflers as you'd be half deaf from the ringing in your ears, if you don't

I have to get down on my knees to use one of them im to tall and as the post goes down i find i lift the yock of the top of the post and then u end up geting hit in the face ha this is my problem with the thumper ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I have to get down on my knees to use one of them im to tall and as the post goes down i find i lift the yock of the top of the post and then u end up geting hit in the face ha this is my problem with the thumper ha

what height are ya! do you look down on deven toner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Something a bit different.

Years ago when my uncle was still around (RIP) and Dad was younger we used to bring sheep out to a couple of islands. Once day a local artist was on the pier and took a photo of us leaving the harbour. We had blackface hogget rams and a couple of ewes and lambs, probably border leicester ewes and suffolk cross lambs at the time.

He used the photo as the basis for the painting in the link below:

http://www.oisingallery.com/Painting.asp?PaintingID=2003021910

It captures the essence that sheep farming isn't just a job, but a way of life and a statement of how we choose to live it.

• Advertisement

It captures the essence that sheep farming isn't just a job, but a way of life and a statement of how we choose to live it.

Plus I'm much better looking in the painting than the photo :D

ganmo wrote: »
    what height are ya! do you look down on deven toner?

Not crazy tall about 6`4`` but i have caught the top of a post a few times and its not a nice slap in the nose ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Years ago when my uncle was still around (RIP) and Dad was younger we used to bring sheep out to a couple of islands. Once day a local artist was on the pier and took a photo of us leaving the harbour. We had blackface hogget rams and a couple of ewes and lambs, probably border leicester ewes and suffolk cross lambs at the time.

Class, love looking at old photos. Are the sheep wearing shackles are how are they kept in the boat.

I still here my father on about the big freeze of 1947 when they walked the cattle on the ice across to the island

razor8 wrote: »
    Class, love looking at old photos. Are the sheep wearing shackles are how are they kept in the boat.

I still here my father on about the big freeze of 1947 when they walked the cattle on the ice across to the island

No, sheep are not restrained in any way, they were always very quiet in the boat. Only ever had one lamb jump out and that was in the harbour, he was recovered with no problem. We used to put a piece of carpet under them to stop them slipping. Wooden currachs here, the so called "Roundstone currach", not the canvas type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No, sheep are not restrained in any way, they were always very quiet in the boat. Only ever had one lamb jump out and that was in the harbour, he was recovered with no problem. We used to put a piece of carpet under them to stop them slipping. Wooden currachs here, the so called "Roundstone currach", not the canvas type.

Con, I vaguely remember from my school days ( not to day or yesterday by a long shot :( ) a poem or similar story re a tragedy when a sheep put her foot through a currach and a number of people were drowned

been buggering me since I saw your post but can't recall the details

orm0nd wrote: »
    Con, I vaguely remember from my school days ( not to day or yesterday by a long shot :( ) a poem or similar story re a tragedy when a sheep put her foot through a currach and a number of people were drowned

Doesn't ring a bell, could happen in a canvas currach I imagine but not in the wooden type ones, they're very solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They still bring over Sheep to the Inishkeas not far from my place in North Mayo.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    They still bring over Sheep to the Inishkeas not far from my place in North Mayo.

Islands or beaches are great spots for animals in this part of the world, even bare they hold an animals condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Islands or beaches are great spots for animals in this part of the world, even bare they hold an animals condition.

There must be something to them - there's a herd of goats on some Islands in Carrowmore Lake just up the road from my place and despite no-one ever bothering with them in terms of winter feed, hoof maintainance etc., their still there in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tom_k

orm0nd wrote: »

That'd be the Annaghdown (Anach Chuain) tragedy of 1828. It was commemerated in the poem of that name by Antoin Ó Raifteiri.

http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter180.html

Here's the poem on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_%C3%93_Raifteiri#Poetry

Advertisement