Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea, we weigh here and the llyens averaged 296g/day up to weaning at 14wks...Athenrys' lambs averaged 270g/day to 10wks and they're on newly reseeded land

How does that compare to the vendeens rangler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

razor8 wrote: »
    How does that compare to the vendeens rangler?

Weaning them tomorrow, they averaged 312g/day to 10 weeks, but grass has gone very stemmy for the last fortnight so I doubt if they'll be as good at weaning.....grass quality was good right up till the Lleyns were weaned.
    In an all sheep situation, anything around two kilos weight gain per week is all right

You'd be happy with that, lambs doing 310 here and overall 300 if I include ewe lambs lambs, have some ready but clik withdrawal not up for another 10 days

Never got a big build up of grass all year but quality has remained very good and fields are only started to head out

razor8 wrote: »
    You'd be happy with that, lambs doing 310 here and overall 300 if I include ewe lambs lambs, have some ready but clik withdrawal not up for another 10 days

Never got a big build up of grass all year but quality has remained very good and fields are only started to head out

yea, sold my first ones last week. they made €113 less €3 expenses.
    From now on it'll be nearer to 200g/day, it can be some battle to get them the rest of the way
    Have you weaned yet, makes a huge difference to the lambs if the ewes clean off the paddocks instead of making the lambs do it.

yea, sold my first ones last week. they made €113 less €3 expenses.
    From now on it'll be nearer to 200g/day, it can be some battle to get them the rest of the way
    Have you weaned yet, makes a huge difference to the lambs if the ewes clean off the paddocks instead of making the lambs do it.

I want to wean but am holding off til i get first draft sold, kinda afraid ones that are ready will go backways for a few weeks if I wean now so was going to wait until withdrawal up, some lambs will be close to 16 weeks by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'm still a bit off weaning, born last week of march onwards. The best of them look as if they could be weaned but far too many that look too small yet. Hoping to coincide weaning with after grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Main motivation for weaning, would be to have the ewes cleaning the fields after the lambs (as I don't have a topper)

I will prob wean mid-July, in ~3 weeks time. This is more to time in with sending the lambs to the best grass (field reseeded last Autumn), rather than anything else. I don't know if I'll have lambs ready by then - maybe a few, but not too many I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Got the sheep sheared this afternoon thankfully. Another job done. Was a little disappointed with lambs. Definitely back on last year. Grass has not being as good at all year.

Actually spread a few bags of manure I had left over to bring on a bit of grass.
    Think I will wean them in 2 weeks to keep the good grass for the lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Picking Rams today for start of sales, struggled to get them stand still. This is hogget picked for first sale, if lambs calm down will get few pics

Cran wrote: »
    Picking Rams today for start of sales, struggled to get them stand still. This is hogget picked for first sale, if lambs calm down will get few pics

Better fly the flag for my breed too.

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

• Advertisement

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

Now that's a smashing bunch of lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

Are your boys fit for ewe lambs rangler ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are your boys fit for ewe lambs rangler ?

I'd say they'd serve anything that'd stand ;)
    It's not recommended to put ram lambs with ewe lambs, supposed to have better conception in ewe lambs with an experienced ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's not recommended to put ram lambs with ewe lambs, supposed to have better conception in ewe lambs with an experienced ram

Thanks , I didn't know that . In general are your lads easy lambers ?

What weight are they Rangler, guy 3rd from left in front looks like a serious sheep.

What weight are they Rangler, guy 3rd from left in front looks like a serious sheep.

He's the heaviest alright, 86kg and from there down to 70kg

He's the heaviest alright, 86kg and from there down to 70kg

January born? They are super weights...

Bullocks wrote: »
    Thanks , I didn't know that . In general are your lads easy lambers ?

Yea, they're easy lambed, we lamb over 100 ewe lambs to them every year

January born? They are super weights...

9th dec -9th January, we can lamb from the 1st dec, to register them as 2015 lambs.

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

There's serious style to some of them guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

super stock as usual

your grass quality would put a lot of dairy guys to shame

If it was me I would pick the second from the front.
    But having said that I wouldn't refuse any of them.
    Lovely sheep rangler. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lovely clean stock with good length to them there. Is it the rotational grazing or topping has your grass very fresh looking rangler ?

2015-06-27 18.13.29.jpg

Top notch rangler

Lovely clean stock with good length to them there. Is it the rotational grazing or topping has your grass very fresh looking rangler ?

Combination of both I suppose, and of course avoiding photographing the stemmy paddocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Jaysus that a fair flag you put up her for the breed rangler. They look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/wairererams?ref=profile

for anyone who believe sheep should be dosed in a single file race like cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

And ya have to be in with them too. Workin over a wall is a pain

• Advertisement

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/wairererams?ref=profile

for anyone who believe sheep should be dosed in a single file race like cattle

Video doesn't work for me

Advertisement