Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PaddyPerfecto

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    True, but you don't have to look at the mantle piece when poking the fire!!

Must of been on the chaps bucket list! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Nice lengthly mules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What's happening to him?

His now strung up in a cold room

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PaddyPerfecto

davidk1394 wrote: »
    His now strung up in a cold room

Haha nicest place for em when they get to that age, n your pockets the only thing left getting fatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Haha nicest place for em when they get to that age, n your pockets the only thing left getting fatter

Amen to that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bought these ladies last night, was not planning on buying anything as i only went to the mart to sell stores, but as i had the trailer with me I couldn't go past them.
    Paid strong money for them though, but I know the man that was selling and they're out of swale ewes so have been coming from a hard enough keep and they'll last.

now they're my kind of sheep ,,

good ewes like that are never dear

hope they go lucky for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

WhEn you take it that Hoggets were hanging up 140€ last February they are noway expensive now. They look great value imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Willfarman wrote: »
    WhEn you take it that Hoggets were hanging up 140€ last February they are noway expensive now. They look great value imo

That's in euro,Antrimglens is using sterling.

There 191 euro.But they will produce good lambs by the looks of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Bought this fella last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

jd06 wrote: »
    Bought this fella last week

Nice looking fella, doesn't look to big boned and kind enough head. He's not one of Niall Walshes is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Cran wrote: »
    Nice looking fella, doesn't look to big boned and kind enough head. He's not one of Niall Walshes is he?

Ya he has a grand head ,more like a ewes head to be honest. Hes a wexford ram. Wont need him till mid oct so hopefully ders a bit of growing in him still
    Is there any pb suffolk ewe sales coming up. Id like to buy one or two, justvto see how it goes, bit of a hobby. Might get my young son interested in them

I weaned my lambs about a month or two ago. I was moving my ewes from one field to another the other day. The passage was parallel to a field some of the weaned lambs were in. The ewes stopped walking and were rather noisy seeing how their offspring were getting on.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I weaned my lambs about a month or two ago. I was moving my ewes from one field to another the other day. The passage was parallel to a field some of the weaned lambs were in. The ewes stopped walking and were rather noisy seeing how their offspring were getting on.:pac:

Your ewes look in good enough condition green, they'll be in super form come Oct.

This is the first year that I weaned them early, so they don't know themselves, with all the free time they have. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

New addition to the firm
    Jess.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

:)Ash its a puppy!! Congrats! ....grass needs mowing when you get the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

rangler1 wrote: »
    New addition to the firm
    Jess.jpg

she has crazy ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

New addition to the firm
    Jess.jpg

Rangler, I reckon you could up stocking rate by another 0.2lu if you threw fenced off that garden and threw a few lambs onto it.:D
    good luck with her, hope she works out well for you. Always a great sense of hope when you get new dog that they're going to be even better than the last one.

Thought i had them at £130, but some fecker polled me to £150 and once he took me to £140, he was never getting them at any money. I know i should have probably dropped them on him at £148 but i get thick like that when some hoor starts.

lively trade for similar type in Ballinrobe to day

orm0nd wrote: »
    lively trade for similar type in Ballinrobe to day

You buy?

• Advertisement

You buy?

did'nt go , bought a lot of sheep from a neighbour who is retiring,

The few I need now wouldn't justify the distance from here,

another member on here was there bright & early and bought a fair number

did'nt go , bought a lot of sheep from a neighbour who is retiring,

The few I need now wouldn't justify the distance from here,

another member on here was there bright & early and bought a fair number

Just home here's the 1st prize winning hoggets made €248, top of hoggets €261 (I bought neither)

Just home here's the 1st prize winning hoggets made €248, top of hoggets €261 (I bought neither)

did you go for any of the Swaldale ? or stick with the Mayo

did you go for any of the Swaldale ? or stick with the Mayo

Stuck with the Mayo for lambs, was very tempted but only bought 10 lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

the mule heads have changed in recent years from what they use to be to where they are now,and has this improved them as ewes or just nice on the eye,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

ganmo wrote: »
    she has crazy ears

Deffo, never saw a dog that could cross her ears before....seems keen anyway. only 3 -4mths old..early days

Nice sheep. I'm being really fussy here and I know it makes no difference to how she'll perform but I can never understand why men use blue spray or paint on sheep when dressing them. I always think red, pink or orange makes their colour stand out so much better.

Nice sheep. I'm being really fussy here and I know it makes no difference to how she'll perform but I can never understand why men use blue spray or paint on sheep when dressing them. I always think red, pink or orange makes their colour stand out so much better.

I'd say that's branding fluid as opposed to spray, dont know what colours you can get it in

New addition to the firm
    Jess.jpg

She looks as if she'd nearly talk to you.

• Advertisement

More pictures from Friday, this was our 10th year heading over and they run a good set-up.
    Big difference in prices from 10 years ago, we nearly paid double what we paid for some hoggets compared to 2005. Back then the discussion in the yard was about survival of the sale and sheep enterprises, while buyers might complain about the prices Friday the position in 2005 was no good to anyone either.

Mules arent for everyone, they suit our set-up at the moment really well along with some Lleyns. Had few lads picking up rams on Saturday morning and the ewes were still in the yard, they spent over an hour looking at them and discussing them between them....

Starting to realise my only days out these days are to sheep sales, bit different to 2005 as well:confused:

Advertisement