Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Stock look well and lovely dry ground john. Your a month ahead of mine at this stage. All grass is gone and feeding hay with whatever pickings they have.
    Was more grass on part of the farm but it's gone too wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

It has started, pity it's a long break till the last
    E119B160-CC6B-4723-A308-3B34297DD3FE_zpsaw24kyei.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Farrell wrote: »
    It has started, pity it's a long break till the last
    E119B160-CC6B-4723-A308-3B34297DD3FE_zpsaw24kyei.jpg

Will they be lambed out ? Crappy weather for it !

Bullocks wrote: »
    Will they be lambed out ? Crappy weather for it !
    If snow comes they'll go in, else being moved into a sheltered meadow of grass.
    Lambing field is quite sheltered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Ah shure she saved me sixty pence by not having to scan her..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ah shure she saved me sixty pence by not having to scan her..

Ram broke in???

arctictree wrote: »
    Ram broke in???

January born ram lamb still sucking its mother pinned her when brought them in for clipping. Couldn't watch those dorsets for fertility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

January born ram lamb still sucking its mother pinned her when brought them in for clipping. Couldn't watch those dorsets for fertility.

Agree,had a ewe last year were she had lambed at Christmas time last year,put her in a field along with other ewes and lambs,she must have got tipped again by a ram lamb because she lambed triplets at the end of April.Lambed again two weeks ago.

I left the lid on the bale, cos I don't think they'll eat it quick enough. Think will they be inclined to eat the net /plastic ?

I left the lid on the bale, cos I don't think they'll eat it quick enough. Think will they be inclined to eat the net /plastic ?

Bullocks, are you putting a feeder round the bale, whilst they may not eat the plastic or net they sure as hell will waste half the bale by dirtying the bottom half standing on it to pull at the top half and scatter it everywhere.

• Advertisement

Bullocks, are you putting a feeder round the bale, whilst they may not eat the plastic or net they sure as hell will waste half the bale by dirtying the bottom half standing on it to pull at the top half and scatter it everywhere.

I don't have a feeder , I had intended leaving the bale over the wall. and just throwing them a couple of barrows a day but then I said feck it I'll chance it this way and see how much gets wasted .
    I went for a look just now and I'm sorry i gave them anything , they didn't even pick at it except where i threw the nuts around the bottom . I'm just feeling sorry for them with all this rain and wet grass lately but it looks like they aren't that hard done by when they didn't wire into eating the bale !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

if you had some lambing pens, you could put a pallet on the ground and 4 pens around it. Once their not standing on it, they will eat it when their hungry. I feed silage here. 110 ewes eat 1 bale a day.

if you had some lambing pens, you could put a pallet on the ground and 4 pens around it. Once their not standing on it, they will eat it when their hungry. I feed silage here. 110 ewes eat 1 bale a day.

I dont even have lambing pen gates :rolleyes: but i could put it behind a normal gate . If they aren't eating it in a few days I'll throw it up in front of the cattle and let the sheep appreciate their next bit of silage when they go in !
    Can you tell from the pictures wether ye think they are fat/ thin ? The one facing the camera is this years ewe lamb and 2 of the others are ewe lambs aswell with their arses to the camera , hopefully lambing around Paddy s day

Can you tell from the pictures wether ye think they are fat/ thin ? The one facing the camera is this years ewe lamb and 2 of the others are ewe lambs aswell with their arses to the camera , hopefully lambing around Paddy s day

I suppose running your hand over the spine is the only definite way of judging, but visually they look fine heathy and in good nick. The gate would work grand as well. As mentioned I always leave a pallet under it to keep it dry.They can pick up so much bugs from contact with mud.

I suppose running your hand over the spine is the only definite way of judging, but visually they look fine heathy and in good nick. The gate would work grand as well. As mentioned I always leave a pallet under it to keep it dry.They can pick up so much bugs from contact with mud.

Thanks GF true enough about the muck . This weather is cat there seems to be muck everywhere even where there usually isn't :mad:

On a night like this, why be outdoors
    2511BB8E-7066-45A1-B2B2-F0F651C0101D_zpsxund9fpc.jpg
    A6023C22-060D-48A7-B5BA-C64509045251_zps85z8tukw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farrell wrote: »
    On a night like this, why be outdoors
    2511BB8E-7066-45A1-B2B2-F0F651C0101D_zpsxund9fpc.jpg
    A6023C22-060D-48A7-B5BA-C64509045251_zps85z8tukw.jpg

There are some that say that sheds are only for the benefit of the shepherd!!!!!!!!! .....What do you think there

rangler1 wrote: »
    There are some that say that sheds are only for the benefit of the shepherd!!!!!!!!! .....What do you think there
    Hard to know, but only for snow & frost they'd of being born out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_7489_zps8eoj1zyh.jpg

In the shed today cos of this crap weather

• Advertisement

Any ideas why this one would be losing her wool ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Any ideas why this one would be losing her wool ?

Is it itch ? Or mange. An ivermectin based wormer or spot on would suit either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

fanadman1 wrote: »
    Is it itch ? Or mange. An ivermectin based wormer or spot on would suit either

The ewes here were scratching mad as well, I put spot-on on em a few weeks ago. I think it did fcuk all good then...

They are still scratching mad...

The plan was to give em an ivermectin after lambing, that would be in 5 - 8 weeks...

I don't like the idea of injecting em now, when they heavy in lamb... But then, the itch can't be doing em much good either like...

Opinions?

Would injecting em at the weekend be the better plan?
    Or go with a second dose of spot-on? (Altho not sure what good it'll do...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

The ewes here were scratching mad as well, I put spot-on on em a few weeks ago. I think it did fcuk all good then...

They are still scratching mad...

The plan was to give em an ivermectin after lambing, that would be in 5 - 8 weeks...

I don't like the idea of injecting em now, when they heavy in lamb... But then, the itch can't be doing em much good either like...

Opinions?

Would injecting em at the weekend be the better plan?
    Or go with a second dose of spot-on? (Altho not sure what good it'll do...)

The itch will do no good to them anyway. Id give them tbe jag and be carefull and go easy on the when handlin them

No great experience of it here, probably mange /lice , but keep your mind open to other issues. would she be loosing wool from excessive rubbing Against a feed barrier ? Or would she be abit run down from being in lamb and need a drench / mineral deficiency ?
    Do you have timber or steel pens ? They say timber ones can habour mites etc to infect the sheep, whereas steel ones don't .

Thanks lads , I'd be leaning towards her looking run down but its easy to put a bit of spot on on them now anyhow
    They have been getting a pinch of nuts and oats the last month but i might chance a lick aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thanks lads , I'd be leaning towards her looking run down but its easy to put a bit of spot on on them now anyhow
    They have been getting a pinch of nuts and oats the last month but i might chance a lick aswell

covered for fluke?

orm0nd wrote: »
    covered for fluke?

Yup, about 3 weeks ago but the place must be alive with fluke where we are with this weather , she wasn't losing any wool until this week , that I noticed anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_7849_zpskkslzdl6.jpg

IMG_7908_zpsk7ysdjqt.jpg

IMG_7921_zpsnivqw0bb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

IMG_7849_zpskkslzdl6.jpg

IMG_7908_zpsk7ysdjqt.jpg

IMG_7921_zpsnivqw0bb.jpg

Lovely Suffolk sheep.. Are they in lamb?

Advertisement