Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

rangler1 wrote: »
    They use helicopters to spray off and reseed, don't they

I presume they have a place here....not been on any farms yet...

But you see a fair bit of reseeding going on....even no matter how steep....the land

There's literally hundreds of mountains like that of grass and as many more farms that are made of mini mountains and place dotted with sheep/beef cattle

What I did notice was some places have like a slurry sprinkler systems on the steeper parts....but couldn't get a descent pic from the bus going too fast.....a possible option for parts of Ireland I taught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Pic of the ewe lambs enjoying the sun today...

They on stubble ground now for the last month, the ground is perfect underneath... couldn't be better...

Gave em a bale of silage today as I thought the stubble was getting very bare. Not sure they took much interest in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Gave em a bale of silage today as I thought the stubble was getting very bare. Not sure they took much interest in it...

Cannt remember you feeding silage before. Where's the fodder beet ?

Cannt remember you feeding silage before. Where's the fodder beet ?

There was bales of silage just beside where the lambs are, so was as easy to feed it now when the stubble is so dry. Will leave the other grass I have for another month or so if I can...

No beet this year - I saw last year the ewes were able to manage the beet fine. But twas too tough on the ewe lambs, when they were only cutting their teeth I guess... that's

We'll see how this one bale goes...

Anyone care to guess how long a bale of silage would last 60 lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

There was bales of silage just beside where the lambs are, so was as easy to feed it now when the stubble is so dry. Will leave the other grass I have for another month or so if I can...

No beet this year - I saw last year the ewes were able to manage the beet fine. But twas too tough on the ewe lambs, when they were only cutting their. We teeth I guess...

We'll see how this one bale goes...

A week?

• Advertisement

I've 80 ram lambs on silage. Get just over 5 days out of a bale. They've a peck of grass as well. Guessing ewe lambs would eat abit less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A week?

I always presumed silage geos off once it's opened and they'll not eat it after 4-5 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I've 80 ram lambs on silage. Get just over 5 days out of a bale. They've a peck of grass as well. Guessing ewe lambs would eat abit less.

what are you doing with them, will demand for them not reduce after christmas or is there any problem when they're run as rams only

what are you doing with them, will demand for them not reduce after christmas or is there any problem when they're run as rams only

I've them tucked away to sell next march, then factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I've them tucked away to sell next march, then factory

They'll be very heavy then by the time you get a decent fat cover. are factories happy to kill entire ram lambs in march......i dont know anything about the hogget trade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

They'll be very heavy then by the time you get a decent fat cover. are factories happy to kill entire ram lambs in march......i dont know anything about the hogget trade

Never had an issue with them taking ram hoggets in March. Depends on supply I suppose.

I always presumed silage geos off once it's opened and they'll not eat it after 4-5 days

Well, when I was up this morning, they hadn't hardly touched the bale I opened yesterday. So I'd say that bale will definitely go to waste... :(

They won't get another for 2 weeks now anyways...

Tis hard to know if there is enough of em there to go through a bale quick enough all right Tom...

sea12 wrote: »
    Never had an issue with them taking ram hoggets in March. Depends on supply I suppose.

Never had any issues here either. Find they always came into better money then the ewe lambs as well, as they'd k.o nearer to the max

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Recent Purchase. All scanned in Lamb. I hear they're a great way to lose money :-)

sako 85 wrote: »
    Recent Purchase. All scanned in Lamb. I hear they're a great way to lose money :-)

They set you back a bit Sako I'd say... ;)

I like them now so I do (you might not find much love for the Suffolk on here though) :):D

Best of luck with them.

Thanks John, they weren't cheap but if it goes pear shaped it won't be the end of the world either. Bought them at a special in lamb sale in Blessington. I personally like Suffolks myself and for all the giving out about them Suffolk cross make up a fair percentage of the national flock.

Thanks John, they weren't cheap but if it goes pear shaped it won't be the end of the world either. Bought them at a special in lamb sale in Blessington. I personally like Suffolks myself and for all the giving out about them Suffolk cross make up a fair percentage of the national flock.

Around here they're the only breed in town for the small farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Wouldn't like the 91 ewe with the black wool on her back, would be classed as a fault and she be knocked at a breed sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Nice looking ones hope they do well for ya

Wouldn't like the 91 ewe with the black wool on her back, would be classed as a fault and she be knocked at a breed sale.

Fair point and i did notice it. I'm hoping to start breeding Rams for the commerial farmer, if it comes through in the lambs, hopefully it wont matter to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Fair point and i did notice it. I'm hoping to start breeding Rams for the commerial farmer, if it comes through in the lambs, hopefully it wont matter to them.

Best of luck
    There prob ambling early Jan?
    Keep us posted

jd06 wrote: »
    Best of luck
    There prob ambling early Jan?
    Keep us posted

Should lamb around 28the Dec. I'll fire up a few photos of the (hopefully alive) lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Should lamb around 28the Dec. I'll fire up a few photos of the (hopefully alive) lambs.

Best of luck with your purchases and welcome to the madness of pedigree sheep farming

Housed till valentines at least any way.
    404257.jpg

Sheep on the way home
    404258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Housed till valentines at least any way.
    404257.jpg

Sheep on the way home
    404258.jpg

hopefully most of these will be out well before valentines, sorry for poor pic no lights on in shed just using infra red on the ip cam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

orm0nd wrote: »
    hopefully most of these will be out well before valentines, sorry for poor pic no lights on in shed just using infra red on the ip cam

Fine sheds there Ormond and charolaois.
    May I ask for a few details?
    Size of pens Lxw?
    Slatted floor, depth of tank?
    Stocking rate per pen?
    Cheers

Fine sheds there Ormond and charolaois.
    May I ask for a few details?
    Size of pens Law?
    Slatted floor, depth of tank?
    Stocking rate per pen?
    Cheers

6 pens in 3 18ft bays . 2 ft walkway in middle of each bay.concrete slats 4ft deep except for agitation points which are 6ft (?I think its that ,will ask old lad) 17-18 in each pen with 1 or 2 less in the trebles pen.the length of walkway is about 23/24ft long (I'm not100%)
    Only problem with slats is cleaning them afterwards and putting the silage into the walkways which is time consuming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

6 pens in 3 18ft bays . 2 ft walkway in middle of each bay.concrete slats 4ft deep except for agitation points which are 6ft (?I think its that ,will ask old lad) 17-18 in each pen with 1 or 2 less in the trebles pen.the length of walkway is about 23/24ft long (I'm not100%)
    Only problem with slats is cleaning them afterwards and putting the silage into the walkways which is time consuming

Thanks charolaois. So pens are roughly 23/4ft x 8ft? What do you mean by cleaning the slats? Agitating?

• Advertisement

Thanks charolaois. So pens are roughly 23/4ft x 8ft? What do you mean by cleaning the slats? Agitating?

All the **** doesn't go down the slits iykwim and with bits of silage being dragged in it really sticks so you have to scrape it to get it off

Advertisement