Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

All the **** doesn't go down the slits iykwim and with bits of silage being dragged in it really sticks so you have to scrape it to get it off

Would you scrape them down often?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would you scrape them down often?

After they go out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

We're promoting the green image somewhere they don't speak ENGLISH

Attached image
    Food-FireP65.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rangler1 wrote: »
    We're promoting the green image somewhere they don't speak ENGLISH

Attached image
    Food-FireP65.jpg

Without knowing what the hell there on about it still comes across well, is it german?

razor8 wrote: »
    Without knowing what the hell there on about it still comes across well, is it german?

Thanks
    Yea,german, they were here in july, they were really into the hedges we sowed and the traceability.
    Just got the magazine in the post today

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Yea,german, they were here in july, they were really into the hedges we sowed and the traceability.
    Just got the magazine in the post today

What's the handheld about?

What's the handheld about?

The wand connects to a reader, we tie it in the scales and it reads the lambs electronic tag, the reader transmits the number to the scales by bluetooth and the scales records the number and weight.
    The handheld wand can be used in a pen either,just wave it near the lambs head and it'll only record a number once, no duplicating.
    Then of course all the information can be downloaded into the computer

Nice this morning in the tunnel and the wind and rain outside
    23-12-201699_4.JPG

and my modified cattle shed
    23-12-201699_9.JPG

23-12-201699_13.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

23-12-201699_4.JPG

23-12-201699_9.JPG

23-12-201699_13.JPG

They look very contented on the straw and meal diet! Once you house them, do you start them straight away on the straw and meal?

They look very contented on the straw and meal diet! Once you house them, do you start them straight away on the straw and meal?
    Yea, the ewe lambs would be trained how to eat meals while on grass, so they'd only have to be trained to straw when they go in,
    Ewes that got straw and meal before would be straight in on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Lovely set up rangler. The tunnel is much taller than I expected. Plenty of room for tractor for clearing out after. Your flock look in very good condition.

23-12-201699_4.JPG

23-12-201699_9.JPG

23-12-201699_13.JPG

They look very uniform as a breed, not many flocks as consistent unless you cross the water.

Have a multiple of crosses here

Texel x lleyn,?They're a beautiful sheep. What will u cross them with to breed replacements?

sea12 wrote: »
    Lovely set up rangler. The tunnel is much taller than I expected. Plenty of room for tractor for clearing out after. Your flock look in very good condition.

Thanks, erecting it on two foot walls made a job of it, both for height and pushing against when cleaning out

Texel x lleyn,?They're a beautiful sheep. What will u cross them with to breed replacements?

They're over half bred Lleyn so I'm crossing them back now to maternal texels for replacements,
    They're not really big enough to be crossing with maternal breeds.
    I use vendeen on the ones that aren't breeding replacements

They're over half bred Lleyn so I'm crossing them back now to maternal texels for replacements,
    They're not really big enough to be crossing with maternal breeds.
    I use vendeen on the ones that aren't breeding replacements

Big enough as in size and length ?. What do you mean maternal texels ? I presume you mean more feminine heads,longer, less muscly? Have you all sheep in now for (march?)Lambing .

Big enough as in size and length ?. What do you mean maternal texels ? I presume you mean more feminine heads,longer, less muscly? Have you all sheep in now for (march?)Lambing .

Yea, all of that plus 4 and 5 star maternal .......even though I've no faith in the stars.
    And yea, march lambers in, April lambing ewe lambs still out, It's looking like good weather next week, so they'll be out another while. they're getting .5kg meal

Few picture of Romney x ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Few picture of Romney x ewe lambs
    How do you find the Romney? Are you tipping them this year or letting them lie on until next year

First year breeding them, looking forward to lambing them and seeing how they perform

they all should be in lamb hopefully, ran them with a charlaois ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

They are a nice looking animal. I wouldn't know anything about them. Wat made u pick dem

There supposed to be very good foragers that do the business from grass only with low input

very popular in nz and U.K

There supposed to be very good foragers that do the business from grass only, very popular in nz and U.K.

Romneys are well proven alright, where did you source the ram, they look to be good weights.

Billy O'Kane in Antrim, they are averaging about 55kg, averaged 50kg before ram went out and have done well since

Yea, all of that plus 4 and 5 star maternal .......even though I've no faith in the stars

Probably about 25ml more colostrum and .2% less lambing difficulty:rolleyes:

The reason I love texel. Was a surprisingly easy wnough pull. 8kgs at birth.
    408329.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The girls are fairly content
    IMG_20170207_170155_zpslzjcntmj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

how much do u recon you would get for scotch cross cheviot lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

How long is a piece of string,what weight they,are they decent sorts?'What sort of flesh on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

what are the quality off sheep of bog and will also be on good ground

Advertisement