Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Box09 wrote: »
    Lovely lambs (& grass!)

+1

Jealous of both ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

arctictree wrote: »
    My LLeyn ewe lambs:

Nice sheep, are they pure bred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

rancher wrote: »
    Nice sheep, are they pure bred.

Yes, pure bred but not registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

arctictree wrote: »
    My LLeyn ewe lambs:

Lovely lambs looking lambs artic, They have nice pickings as well!

g6c1.jpg
    Grubs up!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Did that shed come from Tipperary Eire?

No, connacht gold or as they were known as then ncf made the steel work.
    The rest was a home made job. Was put up around 96 i think.

eire23 wrote: »
    No, connacht gold or as they were known as then ncf made the steel work.
    The rest was a home made job. Was put up around 96 i think.

Dads shed is very similar, got it from Dundrum Steel in Tipp.

Nice looking shed all right Eire.

How do you feed ration? Is there another trough at the back of the pens?

Feed nuts along the front and then theres troughs going all around the pens bolted to the walls. Its grand once yer fairly quick getting around. Have another shed and the pens used to be twice the size of the ones in the picture but ended up dividing them up as it was a torture, the feckers would nearly knock ya down once ya got into the pen with the bucket of nuts!

• Advertisement

Have another shed and the pens used to be twice the size of the ones in the picture but ended up dividing them up as it was a torture, the feckers would nearly knock ya down once ya got into the pen with the bucket of nuts!

oh - I know the way. We're still feeding them in troughs on the ground in pens down here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

003.jpg

Finally got to empty the lambing shed this morning :)

3 wks rest now till round 2

The help hard at it this morning

dave747 wrote: »
    003.jpg

Finally got to empty the lambing shed this morning :)

3 wks rest now till round 2

Nice looking lambs Dave.
    What are the ewes, Charolais cross?

Serious walls around that field. :)

The help hard at it this morning

Tis always nice to have help, do they realise they are now stars of boards.ie :)

That field is nice and green. Is not closed up long?

Tis always nice to have help, do they realise they are now stars of boards.ie :)

That field is nice and green. Is not closed up long?

No, they'd want comission :D

It's closed off since about the third of December. Ideally there'd be more grass there now than you see. I kept all female stock until late last year as I had been told there was a way to increase my numbers. It didn't pan out and I sold excess lambs and ewes I didn't want to breed from for one reason or another. So there was more pressure than usual on that area as I had ewe lambs on the top of the farm where I normally wouldn't, sealed off from the ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Not technically a sheep it's my new snacker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Looks really well made, Cran. Health to wear and tear it!

Bit of light reading waiting to pick up the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Bit of light reading waiting to pick up the kids.

Ah yes.. The pre lambing handbook - it'll be foked in the corner of the shed when the going gets tough in a few weeks when your trying to foster a triplet while fighting off the sionnach .
    Does it mention how to get enough sleep while watching them 24/7 ? That's the chapter I want

• Advertisement

Ah yes.. The pre lambing handbook - it'll be foked in the corner of the shed when the going gets tough in a few weeks when your trying to foster a triplet while fighting off the sionnach .
    Does it mention how to get enough sleep while watching them 24/7 ? That's the chapter I want

I believe that is in the caffine pills and red bull chapter.

Never a set of my own trips on this farm, twins and singles.

Saw an interesting thing on the twitter machine re fostering. Cut a hole in the bottom of a bucket and put the ewes head through the bottom so she's inside the bucket. Not sure was it a wind up so said nothing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Saw an interesting thing on the twitter machine re fostering. Cut a hole in the bottom of a bucket and put the ewes head through the bottom so she's inside the bucket. Not sure was it a wind up so said nothing :pac:

Sounds like an extremely poor farmers (most farmers are poor) fostering crate. It would stop the ewe seeing the lamb. She'd still have to be tied though.

I believe that is in the caffine pills and red bull chapter.

Never a set of my own trips on this farm, twins and singles.

If the ewe wont accept a lamb we do this at home. Let them off out in the field with it on. Done 3 with it last year and worked every time. After a few weeks take it off and away they go happy!

I persume its because she cant figure out which lamb is sucking her. Comical looking as well to see them going around with it on.

Sounds like an extremely poor farmers (most farmers are poor) fostering crate. It would stop the ewe seeing the lamb. She'd still have to be tied though.

Jaysus the lads doing it didn't look poor to me, lol, maybe that's why ;) Ewe wasn't tied in the photo either.
    If the ewe wont accept a lamb we do this at home. Let them off out in the field with it on. Done 3 with it last year and worked every time. After a few weeks take it off and away they go happy!

I persume its because she cant figure out which lamb is sucking her. Comical looking as well to see them going around with it on.

Interesting stuff, horns be a problem here lol. I can imagine @ comical, seen a ewe lamb before with an empty paint tin on her head, horns kept it on so ended up cutting it off.

ocjf.jpg

One of the ewes with the bucket in action, keeps the head dry on a wet day anyways:)

One of the ewes with the bucket in action, keeps the head dry on a wet day anyways:)

How's the bucket stay on Eire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Will the ewe be able to eat grass with that thing on her ?

How's the bucket stay on Eire?

Not all of the bottom of the bucket is cut out although it looks like it i that photo, cut enough to get it easily over her head and then her wool sort of keeps it in place if ya know what i mean? The bucket should be loose but not loose enough to come off.
    Will the ewe be able to eat grass with that thing on her ?

Why wouldnt she? Able to eat nuts out of a trough as well.

Gas craic, knock some talk out of lads at a STAP walk.

• Advertisement

Gas craic, knock some talk out of lads at a STAP walk.

Be good for getting a group talking alright, sometime the oldest solutions are the best and it beats letting a ewe off with a single;)

Advertisement