Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many Problems after Switching from Eircom to Sky

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

FINAL UPDATE - Eircom have eventually admitted they were wrong to impose this charge/fine and issued repayments - from their letter it looks like repayments were only made to those who complained to Eircom or ComReg, so if you were charged and did not get a refund, you may still get your money back by submitting a complaint.

While it is unsurprising that Eircom handled this issue in their usual ham fisted manner, it is worrying how some of the bodies that have a responsibility to consumers dealt with this.

Since this is very much a consumer related issue, I raised this with a number of consumer bodies, who as far as I am concerned did nothing. ComReg who, even if some of their staff do not realise it, have responsibility for this kind of stuff, were ineffective. For years ComReg allowed a private company to make it very difficult for their customers switch to other companies without incurring charges/fines and/or loss of service, even after ComReg had eventually issued a finding against Eircom back in 2012, it took until 2014 to resolve the issue.

Resolving the issue, ComReg style seems to be:- refund customers who complained only. Apparently details are secret, so much for transparency & accountability, I do not know if they fined Eircom for imposing this in the first place or for defying the ComReg ruling for years.

At the very least you would expect that Eircom apologise, refund all their customers who had this charge imposed, plus the interest as this went on for year and that ComReg imposed a fine on them.

So after all that, it looks like Eircom are the real winners, when a new and serious competitor entered the market, they made it difficult for their customers to switch for years, they profited from the fines imposed and eventually only paid back those few that complained (minus interest or fines) – good job ComReg.
    Thanks again to the Eircom Boards team who promised me a reply on 17 December last on which I am still awaiting the reply.

A sincere thanks to all the Boards members for their help & advice, this is the only place that actually helped.
    HKS

Advertisement