Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many Problems after Switching from Eircom to Sky

Options
  • 02-11-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I switched from Eircom to Sky in Aril 2013, Sky undertook to manage the whole changeover, but I was fined €51 by Eircom for not giving 30 days notice. Why the fine considering the following:- I signed up to Eircom phone & bb in Aug 2010 and still have the T&C's supplied at that time, there is no mention of 30 days notice. Eircom said this had changed, I asked when I was informed of the change & was told I was notified in Feb 2010 (i.e. couldn't happen as this is before I even became an Eircom customer and the T&C's I got were a few months after this). I informed Eircom that I disputed this charge and not to seek payment through the direct debit but to send a bill for the few days before Sky took over (about €5), Eircom went ahead anyway and attempted to get the full payment but I had stopped the direct debit, after which they fined me another €18 for stopping the dd. I still use Eircom's network for my phone & bb, so I presume Sky are paying for the use of this on my behalf. Sky insist the fine is incorrect, I was in touch with ComReg who said they were investigating the matter but could not advise me if I should pay. Eircom are now threatening legal action along with associated costs, why not wait until ComReg makes a decision on the matter. How can an Eircom customer switch without being fined, if 30 days notice is given, the new company may not be able to time their take over to match, leaving customers without service in the interim and facing a reconnection charge. Could you please tell me exactly what T&C's I breached and when I was informed the T&C's I got when I signed up changed. Even if this 30 days notice is now required I was in no rush to change, if Eircom had informed me at any time that I had to wait 30 days or incur a fine I would have waited, as your customer could you not have informed me before fining me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I switched from Eircom to Sky in Aril 2013, Sky undertook to manage the whole changeover, but I was fined €51 by Eircom for not giving 30 days notice. Why the fine considering the following:- I signed up to Eircom phone & bb in Aug 2010 and still have the T&C's supplied at that time, there is no mention of 30 days notice. Eircom said this had changed, I asked when I was informed of the change & was told I was notified in Feb 2010 (i.e. couldn't happen as this is before I even became an Eircom customer and the T&C's I got were a few months after this). I informed Eircom that I disputed this charge and not to seek payment through the direct debit but to send a bill for the few days before Sky took over (about €5), Eircom went ahead anyway and attempted to get the full payment but I had stopped the direct debit, after which they fined me another €18 for stopping the dd. I still use Eircom's network for my phone & bb, so I presume Sky are paying for the use of this on my behalf. Sky insist the fine is incorrect, I was in touch with ComReg who said they were investigating the matter but could not advise me if I should pay. Eircom are now threatening legal action along with associated costs, why not wait until ComReg makes a decision on the matter. How can an Eircom customer switch without being fined, if 30 days notice is given, the new company may not be able to time their take over to match, leaving customers without service in the interim and facing a reconnection charge. Could you please tell me exactly what T&C's I breached and when I was informed the T&C's I got when I signed up changed. Even if this 30 days notice is now required I was in no rush to change, if Eircom had informed me at any time that I had to wait 30 days or incur a fine I would have waited, as your customer could you not have informed me before fining me.
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

I am sorry to hear of the issue you had since switching form eircom. If you have escalated the matter through the regulator. They will be in contact with the eircom customer care / complaints team and a manager will get back to you within 10 working days from when the complaint was received.

If you would like to DM your old eircom account number I can verify if the complaint has been received.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your prompt reply, I have forwarded my a/c no.
    Regards,
    HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Hi,

I called Eircom to switch back on 24th October. Since then I got a letter addrssed to my phone number saying thank you for placing my business account with Eircom(?!).

I contacted Eircom today and they have no record of my new account.

Whats going on guys? Will I stay with Magnet??

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your prompt reply, I have forwarded my a/c no.
    Regards,
    HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

Thanks for sending on your details. The complaint has not been received as yet. Just to advise you on the cancellation process change.

eircom advised customers of the change in cancellation process a few months before it took effect on January 24th 2011.

We advised that a 30 day notification is required to be given to eircom for each service. Customers will be charged one months service if notification is not received.

Notifications were placed in customers bills in bills prior to the change in process. As well as notices being made in national newspapers & media.

eircom allowed a month between the 11/02/11 - 11/03/11 in which customers were free to cancel without penalty. However customers who did decided not to cancel within that time, accepted the new terms and conditions and cancellation process.

All terms and conditions across all channels were amended and clearly outlined the 30 day notification process and cancellation penalties involved.

The process brought us in line with a number of other telecommunications companies who implement the same cancellation process.

However as advised the complaints team will contact you directly regarding your case when they have received the issue.

Thanks, Mark

Deisler wrote: »
    Hi,

I called Eircom to switch back on 24th October. Since then I got a letter addrssed to my phone number saying thank you for placing my business account with Eircom(?!).

I contacted Eircom today and they have no record of my new account.

Whats going on guys? Will I stay with Magnet??
    Hi Deisler

Can you PM me with your name and address and I will look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed reply Mark, it is good to finally encounter an Eircom rep that makes an effort to provide customer service. I am not sure why my complaint is not on record, I rang several times to lodge a complaint.

On one call to Eircom I was informed that I was notified of the changes to my T&C's in Feb 2010, by way of an insert in bills (as you said), I did point out that I was not even an Eircom customer then and as I only signed up in August 2010 (which happens to be later than Feb 2010) but the Eircom person just kept kept repeating that Feb 2010 was when I was notified (does this really count as me being notified?).
    KHS

Thanks for the detailed reply Mark, it is good to finally encounter an Eircom rep that makes an effort to provide customer service. I am not sure why my complaint is not on record, I rang several times to lodge a complaint.

On one call to Eircom I was informed that I was notified of the changes to my T&C's in Feb 2010, by way of an insert in bills (as you said), I did point out that I was not even an Eircom customer then and as I only signed up in August 2010 (which happens to be later than Feb 2010) but the Eircom person just kept kept repeating that Feb 2010 was when I was notified (does this really count as me being notified?).
    KHS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

I appreciate where you are coming from however the change in process has to be ratified by the regulator, who advised us at the time that we have to allow a month for customer to cancel the contract without penalty as part of of the change.

Any customers who did not avail of this option at the time as far as I have been advised would then be under the amended terms and conditions and cancellation process.

Mark 

Hi Mark,
    Could I just check on my complaint first, I do not understand when you say my complaint has not been received yet, I have rang Eircom complaints several times, and I have complained through ComReg, what do I need to do so that my complaint is registered with Eircom? 

I understand the process, but if you could answer some of my earlier questions it may provide me with some clarity, in particular could you clarify when I was informed of the changes to my T&Cs (one of your collegues told me this was Feb 2010 by way of an insert in my bill, is this correct?). I am not interested in when or if an advert went into the papers or when Eircom changed the T&Cs on their website, what I want to know is when and how exactly did you notify me. If I was not told about the changes, how then could I have availed of the option to cancel the contract.

Could you also let me know how an Eircom phone & broadband customer can switch to Sky without incurring a charge in lieu of 30 days notice, without losing their service for a period of time and without being liable to a reconnection charge.

Please do answer all these questions.
    Thanks,
    HKS

Hi Mark,
    Could I just check on my complaint first, I do not understand when you say my complaint has not been received yet, I have rang Eircom complaints several times, and I have complained through ComReg, what do I need to do so that my complaint is registered with Eircom? 

I understand the process, but if you could answer some of my earlier questions it may provide me with some clarity, in particular could you clarify when I was informed of the changes to my T&Cs (one of your collegues told me this was Feb 2010 by way of an insert in my bill, is this correct?). I am not interested in when or if an advert went into the papers or when Eircom changed the T&Cs on their website, what I want to know is when and how exactly did you notify me. If I was not told about the changes, how then could I have availed of the option to cancel the contract.

Could you also let me know how an Eircom phone & broadband customer can switch to Sky without incurring a charge in lieu of 30 days notice, without losing their service for a period of time and without being liable to a reconnection charge.

Please do answer all these questions.
    Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi HKS

I fully appreciate where you are coming from I have outlined the reasons as to how and when the terms and conditions changed and the time - frame customers could cancel without penalty (Any customer that did not cancel the new process / contract will be applicable.

I can only outline what I have been advised, for those reason we can not negate the charges here, however you have escalated the issue further which are fully entitled to do. So I have sent on the number for the eircom customer care team to log an official complaint that will be linked to the complaint you logged with the regulator (which we have still not received as yet)

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the info Mark, I will follow up on that. I understand the date the T&C's changed, I asked for the date that I was notified of these changes, an Eircom rep informed me that I was notified in Feb 2010 by an insert in my bill, is this correct? If not could you provide me with the date please.
    KHC

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Mark, I will follow up on that. I understand the date the T&C's changed, I asked for the date that I was notified of these changes, an Eircom rep informed me that I was notified in Feb 2010 by an insert in my bill, is this correct? If not could you provide me with the date please.
    KHC
    Hi KHC,

I have confirm that the notification was sent to customers bills in February / March 2010, however as advised we did make the change aware within the national media at the tome as well.

Thanks, Mark

KHC
    Hi KHC,

I have confirm that the notification was sent to customers bills in February / March 2010, however as advised we did make the change aware within the national media at the tome as well.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

KHC
    Hi KHC,

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark
    No worries Herr Khume Schuccs

Al

KHC
    Hi KHC,

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark

Al
    Hi Mark/Alan,
    Could I check if my complaint is now on record by Eircom,  I have complained on several occasions by phone but no record of these seems to exist. I have heard nothing further from Eircom Complaints, so am unsure if my latest attempt to lodge a complaint was successful.
    I would appreciate if you could let me know please.
    Thanks,
    HKS

KHC
    Hi KHC,

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark

Al
    Hi Mark/Alan,
    Could I check if my complaint is now on record by Eircom,  I have complained on several occasions by phone but no record of these seems to exist. I have heard nothing further from Eircom Complaints, so am unsure if my latest attempt to lodge a complaint was successful.
    Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi,

I can confirm we have received the letter of complaint to the CEO office on the 20th November

REF:

1216197 LetterComplaint Letter Complaint COEInvestigate Wed Nov 20 15:45:13 GMT 2013 centreOfExcellenceTeam

As advised there is a lead time of 10 working days for any official complaint. We have sent a request to try and push a response / resolution for you.

Mark

Thanks Mark for registering my complaint, I had complained many times before but Eircom failed to log them, apparently. I got a short handwritten response Friday informing me that the charges were correct and still stood. I am not satisfied with this response, it simply claimed that I was informed of the changes to the T&C's at a later date when I actually was an Eircom customer, a completely different date than other Eircom reps had stated prior to this, which was before I was even an Eircom customer. I did not get any notification and was not afforded a period of 30 days to cancel if unsatisfied with new T&C's, so I still consider my original ones stand (it makes no sense that, for the sake of 2 weeks, I would incure this fine, had I know I would have waited).
    The response made no attempt to deal with my query in relation to VAT other than saying it is Government charge and is valid (I do know what VAT is and that it is a government charge, I have pointed out many times to Eircom that VAT is not chargeable in this case, please refer to the ruling issued by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in case C-277/05 and check with the Revenue Commissioners).
    No response at all was provided in relation to the issue of charging me for cancelling my direct debit. I had informed Eircom that I was disputing the cancellation charge before it was due and not to seek payment through direct debit, but that I would pay the undisputed amount. Eircom still requested the full amount from my bank and then fined me as I had cancelled it (according to the direct debit charter, Eircom should not have attempted to charge my account after I informed them that the amount was in dispute, not to mind fining me).
    Do Eircom follow any rules themselves, just expect everyone else to (they also closed the Music Hub, should customers not have been given the opportunity to move then as this was a significant reduction in the service they had signed up to).

Anyway, this has been dragging on since April, so I am completely sick of it (all for the crime of switching provider), could you tell me if I have exhausted the complaints process or can I appeal (the note failed to give any info. on this) - or can I expect other threatning letters from Eircom and its solicitors. At least send me a proper bill, with the actual amount Eircom claim I owe.
    Regards,
    HKS

Thanks Mark for registering my complaint, I had complained many times before but Eircom failed to log them, apparently. I got a short handwritten response Friday informing me that the charges were correct and still stood. I am not satisfied with this response, it simply claimed that I was informed of the changes to the T&C's at a later date when I actually was an Eircom customer, a completely different date than other Eircom reps had stated prior to this, which was before I was even an Eircom customer. I did not get any notification and was not afforded a period of 30 days to cancel if unsatisfied with new T&C's, so I still consider my original ones stand (it makes no sense that, for the sake of 2 weeks, I would incure this fine, had I know I would have waited).
    The response made no attempt to deal with my query in relation to VAT other than saying it is Government charge and is valid (I do know what VAT is and that it is a government charge, I have pointed out many times to Eircom that VAT is not chargeable in this case, please refer to the ruling issued by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in case C-277/05 and check with the Revenue Commissioners).
    No response at all was provided in relation to the issue of charging me for cancelling my direct debit. I had informed Eircom that I was disputing the cancellation charge before it was due and not to seek payment through direct debit, but that I would pay the undisputed amount. Eircom still requested the full amount from my bank and then fined me as I had cancelled it (according to the direct debit charter, Eircom should not have attempted to charge my account after I informed them that the amount was in dispute, not to mind fining me).
    Do Eircom follow any rules themselves, just expect everyone else to (they also closed the Music Hub, should customers not have been given the opportunity to move then as this was a significant reduction in the service they had signed up to).

Anyway, this has been dragging on since April, so I am completely sick of it (all for the crime of switching provider), could you tell me if I have exhausted the complaints process or can I appeal (the note failed to give any info. on this) - or can I expect other threatning letters from Eircom and its solicitors. At least send me a proper bill, with the actual amount Eircom claim I owe.
    Regards,
    HKS

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

I can confirm that there is no further way to appeal the complaints departments’ decision on this. I have looked into this and the complaints departments notes reflect the correspondences you mentioned above and considering their investigation you will continue to receive requests for the outstanding amount currently requested by eircom.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Thanks for the info Al, so it appears Eircom Complaints deal with complaints by just ignoring them or answering in a nonsensical manner. My complaints arose as a result of my final Eircom bill being incorrect on a number of counts and subsequent additional charges being imposed.

Direct Debit - my complaint on this issue was not even mentioned by Complaints.

VAT - Eircom Complaints dealt with this by enlightening me that VAT is a government tax. As impressed as I am with this nugget it does fail to address the issue I raised, that VAT is not due in these circumstances (see Revenue's, i.e. the Irish tax authority's, website  http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-forfeiteddeposits-cancellationcharges.pdf or have a look at the ECJ judgement).

Charge in lieu of notice - many Eircom reps had informed me that I was notified of changes to T&C's in Feb/March 2010, Complaints at least recognised this was impossible since I was not even a customer then, their solution was just to claim I was informed at a later date. If I take Complaints date as being correct, then all the other Eircom reps I dealt with over the months amazingly picked the same wrong date. Eircom staff give me conflicting info, Sky tell me this charge is incorrect, ComReg cannot say but are investigating, who do I believe?

Has my complaint been satisfactorily dealt with Al?
    HKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Thanks for the info Al, so it appears Eircom Complaints deal with complaints by just ignoring them or answering in a nonsensical manner. My complaints arose as a result of my final Eircom bill being incorrect on a number of counts and subsequent additional charges being imposed.

Direct Debit - my complaint on this issue was not even mentioned by Complaints.

VAT - Eircom Complaints dealt with this by enlightening me that VAT is a government tax. As impressed as I am with this nugget it does fail to address the issue I raised, that VAT is not due in these circumstances (see Revenue's, i.e. the Irish tax authority's, website  http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-forfeiteddeposits-cancellationcharges.pdf or have a look at the ECJ judgement).

Charge in lieu of notice - many Eircom reps had informed me that I was notified of changes to T&C's in Feb/March 2010, Complaints at least recognised this was impossible since I was not even a customer then, their solution was just to claim I was informed at a later date. If I take Complaints date as being correct, then all the other Eircom reps I dealt with over the months amazingly picked the same wrong date. Eircom staff give me conflicting info, Sky tell me this charge is incorrect, ComReg cannot say but are investigating, who do I believe?

Has my complaint been satisfactorily dealt with Al?
    HKS

Hi Herr Khume Schuccs,

I'm sorry you feel that your complaint has been ignored however I can confirm it has been looked into as much as it possible can from our side. All avenues have been looked into.  

If you have reported it to Comreg and they are investigating it for you, you would need to wait to hear back from themselves. I'm afraid I can't comment on a complaint logged through them. They are the final point for a complaint.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey,
    My mistake, I was using the normal english definition of 'ignoring' when describing how Eircom Complaints dealt with my Direct Debit complaint by not mentioning it in any way whatsoever in their reply to me.

At least Complaints went to the trouble of referring to my VAT complaint and countered my argument that the European Courts of Justice had ruled that VAT did not appply in these circumstances by informing me that 'VAT was a government tax'. While this is true, it does not follow that VAT applies to everything, one example would be to have a look at childern's shoes. The link I supplied to Revenue's website provides definitive information on this issue.

The only issue Complaints made some stab at was the Charge in lieu of notice. By now claiming I was notified of T&C changes a year later than Feb/March 2010 means that various Eircom Reps over the last 6 months+ had all given me the same incorrect information.

It is comforting that all avenues have been looked into and hopefully you looked up every tree also. For info., it may be more useful if you avoided answering questions that I did not ask and answer the ones I did. I am not asking you to comment on ComReg's investigation, just on Eircom's actions.
    Thanks,
    HKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭CASEsensitive

Herr Khume Schuccs you may be interested in the ruling from Comreg on a finding of non-compliance with respect to conditions and procedures for contract termination http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf. It's interesting to see that they say that Eircom T&Cs relate from July 2011 in applying a charge to consumers outside of the minimum contract period, who had switched service provider and had not provided one month’s prior notice in writing requesting termination of the telephone service contract. Anyway hope you get is sorted.

Thanks again CASEsensitive, would Eircom care to comment on how their detailed look into all avenues failed to mention the minor fact that ComReg had already issued a ruling on this issue, which found against them? 

In light of this, could you please update me on the position.
    Thanks,
    HKS

Thanks again CASEsensitive, would Eircom care to comment on how their detailed look into all avenues failed to mention the minor fact that ComReg had already issued a ruling on this issue, which found against them? 

Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

I will look into this and request clarification on the above. As soon as I have an update or further feedback in relation to this we will let you know right away.

Thanks

Al

Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

I will look into this and request clarification on the above. As soon as I have an update or further feedback in relation to this we will let you know right away.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,
    Still waiting, over 2 months on now, any update?
    HKS

KHC
    Hi KHC,

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark

Al
    Hi Mark/Alan,
    Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

Mark is no longer with us here so if you can PM me your old eircom account number or landline number I'll look in to this for you.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al,
    Please see your post dated 17 Dec, this is what I am waiting on, not the post of 25 Nov which was answered.
    Thanks,
    HKS

Hi Al,
    Please see your post dated 17 Dec, this is what I am waiting on, not the post of 25 Nov which was answered.
    Thanks,
    HKS
    Hi Al, 
    Still waiting for a response to my posts to you on 9 & 17 Dec last year.
    Thanks,
    HKS

5 months on, any chance of that reply Al?
    HKS

HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

We have made eircoms position in response to your compliants more than clear on this thread.

The proceedures you are complaining about remain in place.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

HKS
    Hi Herr Khume Schuccs

We have made eircoms position in response to your compliants more than clear on this thread.

The proceedures you are complaining about remain in place.

Thanks
    Al
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Al, I’m afraid you still appear to be confused, if you look back at your post on 17 Dec you promised to look into ComRegs (then) new Notification to Eircom (Ref:13/114, that it was wrong in requiring customers give 1 months notice when switching provider) and you promised to get back and let me know – this you have not done to date, I am now waiting over 5 months for your promised reply and would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience. Thanks, HKS[/font]

Advertisement