Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community project for broadband delivery

• 02-11-2013 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I just wonder if anyone was ever involved in delivering broadband as community project (non commercial).
    I live in area (Co Wexford) where i can only dream about high speed, low latency internet. It does not seem like this situation is going to change over next 10 years. So I had a thought that instead of waiting for things to happen maybe try to do something myself or with help of community. I'm thinking of delivering internet to friends and neighbors for a price that will cover cost of equipment and service. I have no problem with technicalities of project (already delivered similar uplink for my friend - if someone interested in details let me know) but actually people aspect of it. How to find people interested, willing to help (either by installing equipment or renting space on roof) and ready to commit to it ?
    Project would require ie. installation of wifi relay devices on buildings - how to approach landlords of properties located on hills and convince to be part of it?
    How does it look from legal point of view ?
    Also eircom ducts for cables - is that owned by Eircom or state ? How does it look if you want to lay own cables/fibre ?
    There is more questions and I and want to invite everyone to discussion.
    I would be willing to prepare some draft of project plan if there will be enough interested people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

trompele wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I just wonder if anyone was ever involved in delivering broadband as community project (non commercial).
    I live in area (Co Wexford) where i can only dream about high speed, low latency internet. It does not seem like this situation is going to change over next 10 years. So I had a thought that instead of waiting for things to happen maybe try to do something myself or with help of community. I'm thinking of delivering internet to friends and neighbors for a price that will cover cost of equipment and service. I have no problem with technicalities of project (already delivered similar uplink for my friend - if someone interested in details let me know) but actually people aspect of it. How to find people interested, willing to help (either by installing equipment or renting space on roof) and ready to commit to it ?
    Project would require ie. installation of wifi relay devices on buildings - how to approach landlords of properties located on hills and convince to be part of it?
    Also eircom ducts for cables - is that owned by Eircom or state ? How does it look if you want to lay own cables/fibre ?
    I would be willing to prepare some draft of project plan if there will be enough interested people.

Not sure if this will help but BigLar (of this parish) has done exactly that in Waterford http://www.wwcbb.net/ perhaps you could talk to them about their experience?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi All,
    I live in area (Co Wexford) where i can only dream about high speed, low latency internet. It does not seem like this situation is going to change over next 10 years. So I had a thought that instead of waiting for things to happen maybe try to do something myself or with help of community. I'm thinking of delivering internet to friends and neighbors for a price that will cover cost of equipment and service. I have no problem with technicalities of project (already delivered similar uplink for my friend - if someone interested in details let me know) but actually people aspect of it.
    How to find people interested, willing to help (either by installing equipment or renting space on roof) and ready to commit to it ?

I'd say the first thing would be doing questionnaires/community meeting. You could try having it mentioned in any parish newsletters etc. Usually rural areas run off these or posters in post office/shops

That is something you would have to negotiate. Also with regard to masts and electricity, batteries or electricity.

You could ask Comreg. They are the regulator for the communications industry and are usually quite helpful
    Also eircom ducts for cables - is that owned by Eircom or state ?

Eircom do lay fibre and cables obviously, but ESB Telecom do a lot of it. There may be a mast nearby? (e.g. mobile etc. which may have fibre connected). If you see big pylons nearby, there could be fibre on those. This may be quite costly as you will need to terminate it at a point, and put in electricity and so on.

You will also need to look at insurance, health and safety, legalities and how things will be powered.
    How does it look if you want to lay own cables/fibre ?

Too costly. Usually this is outsourced by companies to firms like KN networks. Fixed wireless for rural areas would be the best option, though if its just an estate, you may get around with fibre and then Ethernet.

You'd really need to look at your community I suppose. Some are very active and some are not very positive.

It may make more sense to contact a company with existing infrastructure, have some numbers with demand and they may take care of it for you ideally

Best of luck with it

Advertisement