Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it achievable?

• 02-11-2013 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm doing 6 honors 2 pass(Irish and french, i'm ****e at languages i know) and currently looking into pharmacy in trinity and rcsi, the thing is I don't have chemistry so i am considering taking it up now and try get the c3 for trinity. Sciences and maths come fairly handy to me so would you say it is achievable?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

To start a subject this far into the course would be quite difficult. It would take a lot of work to get the whole course done by May. It's a gamble.

But I'm not saying that it can't be done. If you're willing to work at it then maybe consider it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

If you take it up now and learn all the experiments perfectly, you could actually get 3 of the 8 questions required perfectly correct, then just get 40%ish in the rest of the questions and you'd get your c3.

It's not as easy as that at all though, it's a tough course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You haven't told us if you're in 5th or 6th year.

If you're in 5th year, it's very achievable. 6th..I'd have my doubts but if you learn the right topics to just get the C3, then it might be possible but you'll have to put in a massive effort over the next 7 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You haven't told us if you're in 5th or 6th year.

If you're in 5th year, it's very achievable. 6th..I'd have my doubts but if you learn the right topics to just get the C3, then it might be possible but you'll have to put in a massive effort over the next 7 months.

6th

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Huell wrote: »
    6th

It's a gamble. I'm not trying to discourage you but if you're willing to do it, would you be getting grinds or doing it yourself?

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    It's a gamble. I'm not trying to discourage you but if you're willing to do it, would you be getting grinds or doing it yourself?

probably grinds and a bit by myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Chemistry is a hard subject as it is with 2 years to do it, never mind 7 months or so. It's not exactly something you can just pick up yourself, particularly at honours level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PelicansX4

If you put in the work, yes it is achievable.

I have yet to take up Biology or Economics and I plan on getting an A1 in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

PelicansX4 wrote: »

I'm doing biology for my third year now and I still doubt that I'll get an A1. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Chemistry takes A LOT of learning of little rules and such. You can do it but it will take serious effort and a hope you pick up the concepts easily.

When I say work I mean say good bye to every weekend you have to try cover this. Grinds will be necessary I'd imaine. This is no small undertaking.

• Advertisement

Chemistry takes A LOT of learning of little rules and such. You can do it but it will take serious effort and a hope you pick up the concepts easily.

When I say work I mean say good bye to every weekend you have to try cover this. Grinds will be necessary I'd imaine. This is no small undertaking.

i gave up drinking having any sort of social life or fun for the leaving cert so far, so yeah i will do anything to get a good grade, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Huell's rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Huell wrote: »
    i gave up drinking having any sort of social life or fun for the leaving cert so far, so yeah i will do anything to get a good grade, thanks.

If its any comfort once you get it, you really get it. A lot of black and white scenarios.

I'm actually not messing though. :o

I'm actually not messing though. :o

lad, biology is a HUGE course. Not doable in 6 months for that kind of grade imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RebelLAD1

how? I do Economics and find it tough to be honest , alot of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Biology is a difficult A subject. I put so much work into it and it wasn't worth i( I still got an A2). I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it at all. My smart friend did it last year in a year and struggled with a lot of work to get her D3. Business is a A1 subject as you just learn the **** out of a book. Likewise is geography (did it in a year and got an A1).

Economics is a easy b1 /A2 subject. But not an easy A1 subject at all. The papers are predictable but they throw in stuff you never covered to separate the A2 students from the A1 students.

I would say you should focus on your 6 higher subjects and hope to get the points for tcd. Then next year study just chemistry( you have already got your points) and get your entry requirement for tcd

RebelLAD1 wrote: »
    how? I do Economics and find it tough to be honest , alot of work
    peekachoo wrote: »
    lad, biology is a HUGE course. Not doable in 6 months for that kind of grade imo.

You are probably right lads, I'm not going to argue with you on that. But the one thing I do have is immense confidence and belief in myself and my own ability and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that I can achieve anything if I set my mind to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You are probably right lads, I'm not going to argue with you on that. But the one thing I do have is immense confidence and belief in myself and my own ability and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that I can achieve anything if I set my mind to it.

Ah.

So young, so naive.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Just do Economics. Biology is one ****ed up course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Lad Bio-A1 in a few months, I did Bio and got the A1 and it was the subject I definitely devoted myself to the most and found the most interesting. I enjoyed it immensely and always though I would get an A1 in it till the last few months leading up to the LC-I wont discourage you however Ive seen what people did to get an A1, what I did t get an A1 and its highly unlikely you will be able to do that much yourself within a few months-you can start now and definitely achieve a high grade in it but an A1 is highly unlikely-also I believe "luck" can play a huge part in exams and someone who gets an A2 couldve been just as if not more deserving of an A1 grade-its just how the exam pans out for them-never tell yourself I will definitely get an A1, you cant see into the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

hfallada wrote: »
    Biology is a difficult A subject. I put so much work into it and it wasn't worth i( I still got an A2). I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it at all. My smart friend did it last year in a year and struggled with a lot of work to get her D3. Business is a A1 subject as you just learn the **** out of a book. Likewise is geography (did it in a year and got an A1).

Heh-youre joking right.

The bitchiness of the marking scheme this year was ridiculous-I loved business-an A student for the 2 years-I put this down to an actual understanding of business and seeing the link between the different topics which my teacher encouraged-fúcking C2 in the LC :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

HugsiePie wrote: »
    never tell yourself I will definitely get an A1, you cant see into the future.

Oh I know, I'm not like that at all. I just like to aim high and believe I am capable of achieving my goals.

Oh I know, I'm not like that at all. I just like to aim high and believe I am capable of achieving my goals.

what kind of points are you aiming for if you don't mind me asking? Like is it any way necessary to take up two extra subjects so late in? You're gonna be putting immense pressure on yourself and it may rub off on your other subjects or your performance as a whole.
    I *personally* don't see any point in doing more than 7 subjects :P

what kind of points are you aiming for if you don't mind me asking? Like is it any way necessary to take up two extra subjects so late in? You're gonna be putting immense pressure on yourself and it may rub off on your other subjects or your performance as a whole.
    I *personally* don't see any point in doing more than 7 subjects :P

600 or 625 I suppose.

600 or 625 I suppose.

then I'd honestly say just take your best 6 or 7 and really focus on them.

then I'd honestly say just take your best 6 or 7 and really focus on them.

Well I'm definitely going to take up Economics anyway as I know I am not going to count Irish and I can't rely on English either.

One extra subject will do I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Heh-youre joking right.

The bitchiness of the marking scheme this year was ridiculous-I loved business-an A student for the 2 years-I put this down to an actual understanding of business and seeing the link between the different topics which my teacher encouraged-fúcking C2 in the LC :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

There is just so many ****ty business teachers that fall to understand how to nail the marking scheme. Mine last year was going through with answer with a fine tooth comb over BS. So I didnt go to her classes for half the year. I still got an A, as my good business teacher told us the action word such as "explain, illustrate" are as important as knowing the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Chemistry isn't a requirement for pharmacy in RCSI - life might be a little difficult without it for a while, but if you were willing to put the time in during 1st year, you'd be fine, you'd catch up with the rest of the class quickly enough. Wouldn't recommend taking it up at this stage, as everyone has said. Concentrate on getting the points with what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

With grinds, yeah it's doable, especially if what you claim about those subjects coming easily is true.

Advertisement