Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC Bid 2023/2027

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

case885 wrote: »
    How would the gaa be bending over backwards if they get stadiums redeveloped, rent and world wide coverage? Gaa has 750,000 members while rugby has 155,000. It will always be Irelands no. 1 sport, the gaa is alot more financially stable than gaa and i dont think theyd be helping the rugby out by squeezing every penny out of them.

I'm afraid they (we) would be helping them (us - again as I support both)
    as it's going to mean an awful lot of potential GAA players will be swung towards Rugby. The IRFU don't need to make a profit from this, just not a loss and it will be well worth it for the exposure Rugby will get. That coupled with a lot of money for the GAA will be great IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm afraid they (we) would be helping them (us - again as I support both)
    as it's going to mean an awful lot of potential GAA players will be swung towards Rugby. The IRFU don't need to make a profit from this, just not a loss and it will be well worth it for the exposure Rugby will get. That coupled with a lot of money for the GAA will be great IMO.

I agree i dont think they should make a profit but i wouldnt like them going into debt having to pay huge rent for gaa stadiums, overall the gaa should get a fair share of the cash stadiums improved and a massive event for the whole country.

case885 wrote: »
    I agree i dont think they should make a profit but i wouldnt like them going into debt having to pay huge rent for gaa stadiums, overall the gaa should get a fair share of the cash stadiums improved and a massive event for the whole country.

The GAA wouldn't make unrealistic demands that would force the IRFU into further debt. If they tried to there would be no world cup taking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

"The prospect of a bid by Ireland to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup has moved a step closer with the setting up of a cross-border working group. The working group will comprise key bodies associated with preparing a bid.

The Irish government and the Northern Ireland Executive hope the move will lay the groundwork for a potential combined pitch to stage the tournament.

Ministers from Belfast and Dublin met in Armagh on Wednesday to discuss hosting the sport's showpiece event."

Article up on the BBC website now. I agree with Michael Ring when he says "The Rugby World Cup is probably the largest event we could ever host on our own on the island".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If the island does host an RWC we better not price gouge as 2015 has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Based on us hosting the Ryder Cup a few years back, it's definitely a possibility in terms of tickets, never mind accommodation for visitors. But then, is that the norm? Never made it to a RWC so I couldn't comment on previous hosts.

I agree that, from looking at some 2015 prices compared to 2011, there's definitely been some nonsense going on with pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

If the island does host an RWC we better not price gouge as 2015 has done.

2023/2027
    Good God. 9/13 years. Gulp.

*Thinking quickly*

I do hope there are reductions on the price of tickets for 'senior citizens'
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Former Leinster and Ireland man Hugo MacNeill is to become our Lord Coe. The Goldman Sachs (Irl) chairman will chair the working group of Govt Depts, state agencies and other bodies, north and south, who will carry out the research and background work and feasibility study to inform the preparation of a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The cancelling of these 5 gigs surely puts a big question mark over our ability to host a world cup ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The cancelling of these 5 gigs surely puts a big question mark over our ability to host a world cup ?

No not in the slightest. RWC is played in numerous venues over numerous of weeks and all venues are sports venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sporting events don't require the same license as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No not in the slightest. RWC is played in numerous venues over numerous of weeks and all venues are sports venues.

I imagine some of the cash generated may have indirectly gone into some of the facilities that need to be upgraded for us to host one though.

(minor issue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

How on earth could you come to that conclusion...seriously?

5 late night concerts in a row is a world away from a few rugby games mostly one a week

there is no legal or licence issue to Croke Park having regular capacity or near-capacity sporting games each All-Ireland season

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭weightlifter

Having watched much of this years U20 World Cup, it is very apparent that Ireland could host this competition without much trouble. Only 3 different stadiums were used for the whole tournament.

Dublin alone could easily host the tournament:

Donnybrook, RDS, Aviva (finals day).
    Training facilities: UCD, DCU

A Munster bid across Limerick and Cork could do it either:

Musgrave Park, Garryowen/Dooradoyle, Thomond Park (finals day)
    Training facilities: LIT, UL, UCC

Would bring good tourism and business to a city like Limerick and would surely boost Ireland's 2023 chances?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Having watched much of this years U20 World Cup, it is very apparent that Ireland could host this competition without much trouble. Only 3 different stadiums were used for the whole tournament.

Would bring good tourism and business to a city like Limerick and would surely boost Ireland's 2023 chances?

Belfast has hosted the U19 RWC before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Under_19_Rugby_World_Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Riskymove wrote: »
    How on earth could you come to that conclusion...seriously?

5 late night concerts in a row is a world away from a few rugby games mostly one a week

there is no legal or licence issue to Croke Park having regular capacity or near-capacity sporting games each All-Ireland season

Well I was just thinking of the perception this could cause . Maybe it's not an issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well I was just thinking of the perception this could cause . Maybe it's not an issue

I don't think it's an issue.

Effectively a guy has sold a **** load of tickets to an un licensed event and which was going to have big problems getting a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not at all. Completely different situations. Standard of some stadiums would be bigger issue

Yes it would be good if we held this tournament. We haven't been host to an IRB age grade world championship since 2007.
    You could even do entire tournament in Limerick and not use Musgrave if you wanted to and use Greenfields or Rosbrien for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭weightlifter

You could even do entire tournament in Limerick and not use Musgrave if you wanted to and use Greenfields or Rosbrien for games.

Agreed. Limerick would be ideal location in my opinion.

It would be well supported locally. And it would probably have a measurable effect on local economy. Lots of suitable grounds:

Thomond Park (not used at that time of year)
    Dooradoyle
    Tom Clifford Park

Very good training facilities at a number of different locations such as UL and LIT.

A good number of hotels suitable to host 2 teams each in and around the city:

The Strand
    Castletroy Park
    Absolute
    Clarion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Not at all. Completely different situations. Standard of some stadiums would be bigger issue
    Still, I amnt sure if theres a gigantic need for the most luxorious and large stadiums with vast corporate hospitality areas for clashes like Georgia v Romania.
    Even Rugby mad New Zeland couldnt sell out the likes of that, and you had 18,000 capacity stadiums only 2/3rds full if even that.
    A GAA stadium with 6 to 10k seated for vistors plus (half empty due to the cr@pness of the match) standing terrace is more than adequate.

Theres no need to be going mental with all seater stadium conversions if the clashes mean the new seats created duing a costly renovation will likely be empty anyhow.
    Better keep it as a terrace and just sell value for money standing tickets.

I could trawl the attendances for NZ for more good examples. Say Russia V USA where the 30,000 seater stadium wasnt even half full.
    Actually a good example as of the 30,000 , 8500 of the capacity there is standing so quite along the lines of GAA stadiums.

• Advertisement

The attendance figures in England next year are going to be very interesting. It will be fascinating to see how many people stump up serious cash for some of the lesser fixtures. Some of those soccer stadium may look rather empty. We shall see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They'll know quite far in advance how ticket sales are going I guess. Will be curious what they do if sales are struggling. I can't, for the life of me, see 80,000 people going to see Ireland vs Africa 2 or whatever it is at those prices

Agreed. Limerick would be ideal location in my opinion.

It would be well supported locally. And it would probably have a measurable effect on local economy. Lots of suitable grounds:

Thomond Park (not used at that time of year)
    Dooradoyle
    Tom Clifford Park

Very good training facilities at a number of different locations such as UL and LIT.

A good number of hotels suitable to host 2 teams each in and around the city:

The Strand
    Castletroy Park
    Absolute
    Clarion
    Would say several of the rugby clubs around the city have better facilities than LIT at this moment. Would be really great to see it happen
    Still, I amnt sure if theres a gigantic need for the most luxorious and large stadiums with vast corporate hospitality areas for clashes like Georgia v Romania.
    Even Rugby mad New Zeland couldnt sell out the likes of that, and you had 18,000 capacity stadiums only 2/3rds full if even that.
    A GAA stadium with 6 to 10k seated for vistors plus (half empty due to the cr@pness of the match) standing terrace is more than adequate.

Theres no need to be going mental with all seater stadium conversions if the clashes mean the new seats created duing a costly renovation will likely be empty anyhow.
    Better keep it as a terrace and just sell value for money standing tickets.

I could trawl the attendances for NZ for more good examples. Say Russia V USA where the 30,000 seater stadium wasnt even half full.
    Actually a good example as of the 30,000 , 8500 of the capacity there is standing so quite along the lines of GAA stadiums.
    New Zealand far away from most rugby nations so there would be much more chance of weekend trips etc for a world cup held in Ireland than down in NZ which would boost attendances.
    The world cup is getting bigger and bigger and 9/13 years time who knows what will be needed and judging by the next 2 competitions bigger more modern stadiums are whats required.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Doesn't look good alright... Shows inability to be able to enact in the national interest for the overall good.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Doesn't look good alright... Shows inability to be able to enact in the national interest for the overall good.

Or an inability of Aiken and the GAA to read...

It's an utterly incomparable situation. 5 night concerts in a row versus 7/8 matches over 2 months, mostly at the weekend and in the late afternoon/early evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Or an inability of Aiken and the GAA to read...

It's an utterly incomparable situation. 5 night concerts in a row versus 7/8 matches over 2 months, mostly at the weekend and in the late afternoon/early evening.

The issue with the concerts is that they needed planning permission because it's a change of use to hold non-sports events at a sports venue. That doesn't arise with the RWC.

So no, it's a non-issue.

I would be much more in favor of say Limerick hosting an underage WC all on it's own. The city needs the financial boost a lot more than say Dublin or Cork.

As for the stadiums for lesser matches most GAA stadiums are grand. NZ used stadiums that were far off the standard of the likes of Tullamore so no reason the majority of county grounds can't host some of the small games.

England will be interesting for sure. I was going to go all out for this WC like I did for the WC in France but due to the recession I'm suffering, I will be going to one match max. Most of my Rugby buddies are not to hyped about going, except the ones living over there atm. Hopefully ticket sales are crap and the prices plummet.

I would be much more in favor of say Limerick hosting an underage WC all on it's own. The city needs the financial boost a lot more than say Dublin or Cork.

As for the stadiums for lesser matches most GAA stadiums are grand. NZ used stadiums that were far off the standard of the likes of Tullamore so no reason the majority of county grounds can't host some of the small games.

England will be interesting for sure. I was going to go all out for this WC like I did for the WC in France but due to the recession I'm suffering, I will be going to one match max. Most of my Rugby buddies are not to hyped about going, except the ones living over there atm. Hopefully ticket sales are crap and the prices plummet.
    We cant really compare ourselves to NZ. Most countries cant. NZ is a considerable distance from all rugby nations and we really have to compare a world cup bid against the likes of France 07 and England 15/Japan 19 in terms of stadiums being used more than NZ 11.
    Most GAA stadiums are not grand even for lesser matches.

We cant really compare ourselves to NZ. Most countries cant. NZ is a considerable distance from all rugby nations and we really have to compare a world cup bid against the likes of France 07 and England 15/Japan 19 in terms of stadiums being used more than NZ 11.
    Most GAA stadiums are not grand even for lesser matches.

IMO we can compare ourselves to NZ. If they are allowed to host a WC so should we. Just because bigger crowds will looks to come here from the EU countries doesn't mean we should not be allowed use the same stadiums. Games like Africa team v russia/usa isn't going to draw a bigger crowd in ireland than in NZ and if they can use crap stadiums for them with grass banks behind each goal and people on them then w should be allowed use better stadiums like tullamore for similar matches.

The stadium with grass banks was only used because of the Christchurch earthquake I think.

I believe we can host it (and I was originally quite skeptical) but we simply can't ignore that a RWC in Ireland is incomparable to one in NZ. We have to cater for a lot more people.

• Advertisement

IMO we can compare ourselves to NZ. If they are allowed to host a WC so should we. Just because bigger crowds will looks to come here from the EU countries doesn't mean we should not be allowed use the same stadiums. Games like Africa team v russia/usa isn't going to draw a bigger crowd in ireland than in NZ and if they can use crap stadiums for them with grass banks behind each goal and people on them then w should be allowed use better stadiums like tullamore for similar matches.
    A world cup held in NZ cant be compared to here. Yes we have similar populations and are similar size but day trippers will be much higher here. IRB will also be wanting to expand and do better and if we cant match or get near matching the next 2 world cup we are unlikely to get to host the WC.

We cant compare a world cup held in Ireland with a world cup held in NZ directly due to the vast difference in tourist numbers between each event. The biggest stadium in the 2011 world cup was 60'000. You would need a handful of around that capacity and more for a world cup here with the numbers that would travel over for England etc and the 2011 world cup in all likeliness will be one of the last times a world cup will be played in stadiums with grass banks behind goals etc

A world cup held in NZ cant be compared to here. Yes we have similar populations and are similar size but day trippers will be much higher here. IRB will also be wanting to expand and do better and if we cant match or get near matching the next 2 world cup we are unlikely to get to host the WC.

We cant compare a world cup held in Ireland with a world cup held in NZ directly due to the vast difference in tourist numbers between each event. The biggest stadium in the 2011 world cup was 60'000. You would need a handful of around that capacity and more for a world cup here with the numbers that would travel over for England etc and the 2011 world cup in all likeliness will be one of the last times a world cup will be played in stadiums with grass banks behind goals etc

you make some good points but i find it sad we could miss out unless we invest ridiculous money in stadiums. having said that tullamore for example would be a great stadium for some matches if they put temporary seating behind one of the goals with no stand like they do in the rds. be a nice 20k with half of it seating.

anyway i'd be fairly sure that if we were NZ located where we are we'd get the WC in 2023 if we wanted. They should be trying to grow rugby in countries like ireland before they set their sights to places like the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago when I heard this topic being raised on Joe Duffy or Newstalk or something can't remember.

Recently, there was talk of Ireland,Scotland and Wales coming together to host the European Championship in soccer. Ultimately, the idea never came to fruition but frankly, I think this is the only chance of Ireland hosting the RWC.

Frankly, we simply don't have the Stadia to host the WC. I'm sick of hearing people say GAA stadiums could be converted, they couldn't. Most of them are in need of a major renovation to host something of this magnitude and even if they were renovated, 1. the capacity wouldn't be big enough and 2. the pitch dimensions are not suitable to rugby in any way. And besides who would be renovating? The GAA. And they would then be left with a load of white elephants which they will never use due to their obsession with putting games in Croke Park regardless of practicality.

The existing rugby stadia we have are not big enough. Thomond Park hosts 26000, RDS 18000(due for a renovation to around 24000), Ravenhill (around 16000) and AVIVA (51700). Thomond Park, Ravenhill and the RDS would only be big enough to host mickey-mouse group games. The AVIVA would definitely get a QF but probably not a SF or the Final. Croke Park is a debatable option. I'm not sure how the IRB would react to hosting a RWC final in a non-rugby ground. This apparently has stopped Croke Park ever being nominated as a venue for the Champions League.

Back to my idea for the joint bid. These would be the potential stadia from each country:

Ireland:
    Croke Park 82000
    AVIVA 51700
    RDS 24000(will probably be renovated by this stage)
    Thomond 26000

Wales:
    Millenium Stadium 72500
    Cardiff City Stadium 26000
    Liberty Stadium 21500

Scotland:
    Murrayfield 67144
    Celtic Park 60355
    Hampden Park 52000

Potential others (12 venues are needed going on previous WC's, this is where the GAA could come in. The GAA stadia I've chosen have relatively tight pitches)
    Nowlan Park 24000
    Portlaoise 27000
    O Connor Park 20000
    Rugby Park 18158
    Parc Y Scarlets 15000 but could be bought up to 20000
    Easter Road 20000

My idea is a little rough around the edges but the point I'm trying to make is this is clearly plausible whereas hosting it in Ireland isn't due to the sheer amount of work that would be involved and numerous red tape.

TLDR Ireland can't host on it's own but could with Scotland and Wales.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this a few weeks ago when I heard this topic being raised on Joe Duffy or Newstalk or something can't remember.

Recently, there was talk of Ireland,Scotland and Wales coming together to host the European Championship in soccer. Ultimately, the idea never came to fruition but frankly, I think this is the only chance of Ireland hosting the RWC.

Frankly, we simply don't have the Stadia to host the WC. I'm sick of hearing people say GAA stadiums could be converted, they couldn't. Most of them are in need of a major renovation to host something of this magnitude and even if they were renovated, 1. the capacity wouldn't be big enough and 2. the pitch dimensions are not suitable to rugby in any way. And besides who would be renovating? The GAA. And they would then be left with a load of white elephants which they will never use due to their obsession with putting games in Croke Park regardless of practicality.

The existing rugby stadia we have are not big enough. Thomond Park hosts 26000, RDS 18000(due for a renovation to around 24000), Ravenhill (around 16000) and AVIVA (51700). Thomond Park, Ravenhill and the RDS would only be big enough to host mickey-mouse group games. The AVIVA would definitely get a QF but probably not a SF or the Final. Croke Park is a debatable option. I'm not sure how the IRB would react to hosting a RWC final in a non-rugby ground. This apparently has stopped Croke Park ever being nominated as a venue for the Champions League.

Back to my idea for the joint bid. These would be the potential stadia from each country:

Ireland:
    Croke Park 82000
    AVIVA 51700
    Thomond 26000

Wales:
    Millenium Stadium 72500
    Liberty Stadium 21500

Scotland:
    Murrayfield 67144
    Celtic Park 60355
    Hampden Park 52000

Potential others (12 venues are needed going on previous WC's, this is where the GAA could come in. The GAA stadia I've chosen have relatively tight pitches)
    Nowlan Park 24000
    Portlaoise 27000
    O Connor Park 20000
    Rugby Park 18158
    Easter Road 20000

My idea is a little rough around the edges but the point I'm trying to make is this is clearly plausible whereas hosting it in Ireland isn't due to the sheer amount of work that would be involved and numerous red tape.

I'd say the GAA would want it to be all or nothing. They will only support a bid if the maximum revenue possible for them is made.

And you should include the new casement in belfast in your bid even if it's join. Belfast and (ulster) needs a representative and that will be a 40k all seater state of the art stadium.

And who cares if it's not a Rugby stadium. Didn't AUS host big matches in the MCG (cricket) and England are going to use soccer stadiums next year.

Honestly don't see why the pitch dimensions would be a major issue considering many a big stadium in soccer tournaments has had a running track around it.

Croke Park isn't debatable in the slightest.

Casement park will be a 40,000 all seater by 2023 and Ravenhill is more like 18000.

I'd say the GAA would want it to be all or nothing. They will only support a bid if the maximum revenue possible for them is made.

Typical Grab-All Association behaviour indeed. I think they could be held to ransom over this as a joint bid with Scotland and Wales could easily survive without Croke Park.
    And you should include the new casement in belfast in your bid even if it's join. Belfast and (ulster) needs a representative and that will be a 40k all seater state of the art stadium.

I forgot about this, Casement Park would definitely be included in any bid either sole or with Scotland/Wales
    And who cares if it's not a Rugby stadium. Didn't AUS host big matches in the MCG (cricket) and England are going to use soccer stadiums next year.

It's grand using these stadiums for 1 or 2 games but I know FIFA and UEFA have been a bit anal in the past about using non-soccer stadiums for major finals. I'm not sure how the IRB would approach this.
    Honestly don't see why the pitch dimensions would be a major issue considering many a big stadium in soccer tournaments has had a running track around it.

It's an issue when your competing with other bidding nations who don't have this problem. Yes, some soccer games in major tournaments have running tracks but do you think a country would be allowed to host if every stadium had a running track around it?
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Croke Park isn't debatable in the slightest.

As Séan Kelly learned in the past as GAA president, it certainly is debatable.

I think you better check on the venues for next years World Cup in England. Most are not Rugby grounds.
    You seem to have an anti GAA vibe going. So much so that you would rather a joint bid with other countries. Very odd.

OldRio wrote: »
    You seem to have an anti GAA vibe going. So much so that you would rather a joint bid with other countries. Very odd.

I don't have an anti-GAA vibe. I follow both Gaelic Football and Hurling passionately and have been doing so for years. I just think there would be so much red tape and gobsh*tery associated with converting GAA stadiums to make them suitable for a once off event only to be never be filled to capacity again after that. In addition, you can assume there will be the usual objections from people on political grounds to playing foreign sports on GAA grounds.

It's not that I wouldn't like to see Ireland hosting it solely, I would. But do I think it could plausibly happen? No, hence my suggestion of a joint bid.
    I think you better check on the venues for next years World Cup in England. Most are not Rugby grounds.

Correct but soccer grounds can easily be converted to rugby grounds. The pitch dimensions are nearly identical and the stadiums chosen by England require little or no renovation and already have a high capacity. And to back up my point, which stadium was chosen as the venue for the final? The 81000 Twickenham rugby ground or the 90000 capacity Wembley which is a soccer stadium?

'you can assume there will be the usual objections from people on political grounds to playing foreign sports on GAA grounds. '

Thats done with. Finished. It was the best move the GAA did. Even Lizzys into the hurling.
    All we need is an all Ireland plan. Joined up thinking and a good team to deliver. ( A lot I know but it can be done)

• Advertisement

I think it's safe to say that the GAA know the colour of money and how Croker can bring it in for them.

Nothing wrong with this of course.

whether i or you like it or not a lot of irish people are anti GAA (hierarchy) but not anti the sports themselves. I disagree with the most common reasons people use to call the GAA greedy/badly run but i can come up with a list of things i hate about them all the same. Such as dublin/monaghan playing all their matches at home.

he says typical grab all association for holding them ransom as using them instead of scotland and wales and i'd disagree with that. i'd rather the gaa nake a fortune instead of wales and scotland as they re invest 80% of their revenue back into our communities. Can't blame them but people think the GAA is like the FAI where all the top officials get paid a firtune. Luckily it's not true.

Are you saying we should put a joint bid in and not have the final in Ireland?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that the GAA know the colour of money and how Croker can bring it in for them.

Nothing wrong with this of course.

the GAA should be commended for the revenue they've brought in an re invested back into Ireland. If only more were like them our country might not owe 120BN.

the GAA should be commended for the revenue they've brought in an re invested back into Ireland. If only more were like them our country might not owe 120BN.

Well we know they don't give a ****e about agreements with the public so I dunno about that :D

Are you saying we should put a joint bid in and not have the final in Ireland?

Is this directed at me? If so, I didn't say this anywhere. I think it would be a dream come true if the RWC final was in Croke Park.

• Advertisement

It's not that I wouldn't like to see Ireland hosting it solely, I would. But do I think it could plausibly happen? No, hence my suggestion of a joint bid.

I hope the Rugby Union appreciate what Ireland has added to world rugby and gives us this bid. Just like they gave NZ the bid because they've a soft spot for them.

If it wasn't for Ireland the 6N would have been very boring over the years. And I hope we are rewarded for our great Rugby efforts even if it means not having as good facilities as England.

Club Rugby here could struggle against the French big time and in the interest of keeping EU rugby competitive I think we need this for the long run.

you make some good points but i find it sad we could miss out unless we invest ridiculous money in stadiums. having said that tullamore for example would be a great stadium for some matches if they put temporary seating behind one of the goals with no stand like they do in the rds. be a nice 20k with half of it seating.

anyway i'd be fairly sure that if we were NZ located where we are we'd get the WC in 2023 if we wanted. They should be trying to grow rugby in countries like ireland before they set their sights to places like the USA.
    Who said anything about investing ridiculous money in stadiums? Temporary stands isn't going to be ideal is it?
    Rugby is growing in Ireland and in big way but the IRB has to look to USA at same time

Ireland:
    Croke Park 82000
    AVIVA 51700
    Thomond 26000

Wales:
    Millenium Stadium 72500
    Liberty Stadium 21500

Scotland:
    Murrayfield 67144
    Celtic Park 60355
    Hampden Park 52000

Nowlan Park 24000
    Portlaoise 27000
    O Connor Park 20000
    Rugby Park 18158
    Easter Road 20000

Ireland could most certainly host a world cup on its own with the aid of the GAA. We don't need the help of Scotland/Wales though you never know with IRB voting one or the other could try get a few games in return for guaranteeing they vote for us to host the WC.
    I think that kind of world cup would be horrible if we as hosts would only be using 4 grounds and only a limited proportion of games.
    We do have the stadiums as quite a few GAA stadiums are good enough or will in near future be redeveloped(Pairc Ui Chaoimh etc)
    Don't see Croke Park hosting final as being an issue as IRB want maximum revenue, exposure and they will get more from a final in CP than Aviva. You want to minimise extra costs so any world cup hosted in Ireland will def include Ravenhill.
    Yes a world cup being held in Ireland would require a huge amount of work but this is for a competition in 9/13 years and many GAA stadiums will need redevelopment anyway so could be used. We most certainly could host a competition on our own but its more internal IRB politics that may see games played in Wales/Scotland than our actual ability to host games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Cheers up lads, I think Ireland has an excellent chance getting one of those world cups! The world cup seems to rotate between Europe and elsewhere, so I'd figure Ireland would be competing with Italy, and I think Ireland would have more friends at the IRB round table than the Italians. I guess the Welsh might try their usual trick of demanding a game or 2 at the Millenium in exchange for their vote, but they might not be needed anyway, as SANZAR could well back Ireland.

The only possible fly in the ointment would be if France jumped the queue and bid again, I don't see the US or Canada as serious threats just yet.

So, if I was a betting man, I'd predict Ireland to take down Italy and get 2023, and SA to dispose of Argentina and get 2027.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

RWC England 2015 has 13 grounds. Here's 13 grounds in Ireland that could do it.

Croke Park 82,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh (r) 60,000
    Aviva Stadium 55,000
    Semple Stadium 53,000
    Gaelic Grounds 49,866
    Mc Hale Park 42,000
    Casement Park (r) 40,000
    ThomandPark 27,000
    Pierce Stadium 26,197
    RDS (r) 25,000
    Raven Hill 18,500
    Winsor Park (r) 18,000
    Musgrave Park (r) 12,500

Some have planed redevelopments on the way. Others could do with redevelopment. The bones of it is there, there is 9 years until kick off. There's no reason why it couldn't happen.

RWC England 2015 has 13 grounds. Here's 13 grounds in Ireland that could do it.

Croke Park 82,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh (r) 60,000
    Aviva Stadium 55,000
    Semple Stadium 53,000
    Gaelic Grounds 49,866
    Mc Hale Park 42,000
    Casement Park (r) 40,000
    Thomond Park 27,000
    Pierce Stadium 26,197
    RDS (r) 25,000
    RavenHill 18,500
    Winsor Park (r) 18,000
    Musgrave Park (r) 12,500

Some have planed redevelopments on the way. Others could do with redevelopment. The bones of it is there, there is 9 years until kick off. There's no reason why it couldn't happen.
    Windsor Park will not be used. Not so sure Musgrave will be used as too small

• Advertisement
Advertisement