Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abrieviations

Options
  • 03-11-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I find it so hard to understand some of the terms in almost every thread.
    Has anyone got a list of what they mean.
    I've googled some of them.
    Everyone seems to use them in this forum even though they are against the charter!
    I'm talking about shorthand Such as bfb bfn af ds dd oh etc etc there are so many!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I find it so hard to understand some of the terms in almost every thread.
    Has anyone got a list of what they mean.
    I've googled some of them.
    Everyone seems to use them in this forum even though they are against the charter!
    I'm talking about shorthand Such as bfb bfn af ds dd oh etc etc there are so many!

bfn is big fat negative
    af is aunt flo or period
    ds is dear son
    dd is dear daughter
    oh/dh is other half or dear husband
    not sure about bfb, but if you mean bfp its big fat positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I've googled a good few but it's a pain in the bfb (big fat butt) haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

January has stuck up an announcement on the forum regarding this and reminding people to read the charter. Acronyms such as dd, ds, etc are not permitted on the Parenting forums for this very reason. Please feel free to report any posts that you find hard to read because of these abbreviations.
    Posting in "TxtSpk"
    Please don't do this, enough said.
    This includes forum abbreviations such as DD, DS, OH etc. They make reading the forums difficult for those new to them. The parenting forum has been set up to be as inclusive as possible for anyone who is involved with rearing children and we hope to keep it that way. These acronyms are both cliquey and pointless.

Cliquey in that if you're part of the crowd you'll know them and if you don't get them you'll feel like an outsider. This forum is inclusive and these acronyms are not - so don't use them.

Pointless: As J.M. Dodd, Chief Internet Officer of Offbeat Empire said, "Acronyming saves you seconds, and costs readers minutes as they try to translate." - so don't use them. E.g "Son" is three characters, DS is two. Take the time to write the word that everyone understands.

Advertisement