Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone repair

Options
  • 03-11-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello! HTC 1 phone purchased in Dec. online via Amazon. A few short months later, after a minor low-impact fall, to my surprise, the screen was damaged and the phone ceased operation. I contacted HTC Customer Service, and was surprised to learn that the phone did not, as I'd assumed, contain guerrilla glass. This feature, it seems, is only available in phones purchased through a service provider. A repair service had difficulty locating replacement glass. After some months, the phone was finally repaired last week, but sound and no picture! They have today advised that the repair is not economically viable. Any advice folks? ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Katie9 wrote: »
    Hello! HTC 1 phone purchased in Dec. online via Amazon. A few short months later, after a minor low-impact fall, to my surprise, the screen was damaged and the phone ceased operation. I contacted HTC Customer Service, and was surprised to learn that the phone did not, as I'd assumed, contain guerrilla glass. This feature, it seems, is only available in phones purchased through a service provider. A repair service had difficulty locating replacement glass. After some months, the phone was finally repaired last week, but sound and no picture! They have today advised that the repair is not economically viable. Any advice folks? ðŸ˜႒

where did you bring the phone to be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katie9

neilmulvey wrote: »
    where did you bring the phone to be fixed?

Family friend, computer expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Gorilla Glass can also break.

Your "friend" hasn't fixed it. They may even had broken it more. Are they qualified/authorised to fix phones?
    Do-it-yourselfers take note: You're probably not going to be able to fix the HTC One on your own, no matter how skilled you may be. This is the conclusion reached by iFixit, which tore down the HTC One only to find its seamless construction makes it incredibly difficult to pull apart without causing damage.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/htc-one-impossible-to-repair-says-ifixit/240151951

I think you should get on to HTC and who is their official repair centre and send it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Katie9 wrote: »
    ...I contacted HTC Customer Service, and was surprised to learn that the phone did not, as I'd assumed, contain guerrilla glass. This feature, it seems, is only available in phones purchased through a service provider.....

That's seems very odd and probably wrong. I would be very surprised if there's a model with "Corning Gorilla Glass 2" and one without. I would get that confirmed again by HTC.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one-5313.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_One

"Corning Gorilla Glass 2"

What did they say about repairing it?

Advertisement