Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work uniforms

Options
  • 03-11-2013 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi can anyone advise me, my current employer is issuing new uniforms, i have to pay €100 for each set. I am currently pregnant and have to buy the maternity version, then on my return to work buy the regular version. There will be no refund on the maternity one. It seems a bit steep to me especially seen as i have a lot of upcoming expenses with the little one on the way. We are very badly paid, most employees are on minimum wage. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

bb79 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone advise me, my current employer is issuing new uniforms, i have to pay €100 for each set. I am currently pregnant and have to buy the maternity version, then on my return to work buy the regular version. There will be no refund on the maternity one. It seems a bit steep to me especially seen as i have a lot of upcoming expenses with the little one on the way. We are very badly paid, most employees are on minimum wage. Thanks.

I would advise you to seek proper advice from FLAC or similar. It's niggling at the back of my head that they can't ask you to buy uniforms at minimum wage, but I could be wrong.

Do you have to buy a particular uniform or do you just have to buy a certain type of clothing, e.g. white blouse, black skirt type effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

What industry are you in OP? Some industries can apply for a flat rate tax allowance against uniforms which will go some way towards the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If the work wear the company provides you with is PPE then they cannot charge you for the uniform under SHAW act 2005,In all my years working I have never heard of an employee having to pay for a uniform.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If the work wear the company provides you with is PPE then they cannot charge you for the uniform under SHAW act 2005,In all my years working I have never heard of an employee having to pay for a uniform.

Outside of PPE clothing it is allowed for employers to deduct the cost of a uniform from employees wages

So the employer can deduct from after tax wages or ask employee to pay.

That appears to be reasonable from the above.

Given the OP is pregnant I'd suggest she contact Citizens information, but it's unclear if she should have to pay for a maternity and a non maternity uniform

I suspect that if OP may be entitled to some consideration in this instance given her situation but am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There are so many companies charging for uniforms now it is probably already the norm rather than the exception .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I imagine if an employee put on or lost a lot of weight the same would apply.

Could you ask them to delay you switching to the new uniform until you return from Maternity and wear either your existing uniform or nondescript maternity wear in the interim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Depending on your industry you may be entitled to flat rate expense from Revenue - See Here

Also, €100 per set seems steep considering if you work 5 day weeks its likely 3 sets minimum. Your employer should allow for a weekly deduction over 12 months to pay for the uniforms. (This is an employer discretion but if they are decent employers they will agree to it)

Advertisement