Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Dog!

• 03-11-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

My 5 year old lab/staffy stinks! She's a house dog really and is only outside when she's being walked or going to the toilet. We've tried medicated dog shampoo and Johnson's baby shampoo which was suggested to me, both worked fine for a week or so and then back came the stink! Anyone else have the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Are you sure its her coat that smells and not her breath? Could she have some kind of fungal infection on or coat.

What are you feeding her - sometimes the diet can be the problem as food ingested can come out through the dogs skin. A bit like us and garlic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WillM87

Inexile wrote: »
    Are you sure its her coat that smells and not her breath? Could she have some kind of fungal infection on or coat.

What are you feeding her - sometimes the diet can be the problem as food ingested can come out through the dogs skin. A bit like us and garlic :)

Her skin is fine, no infections or anything like that, she has a lovely shiny coat, she just stinks! She just eats dry nuts, always has. She hadn't always smelt, it's only in the last year or so she's really humming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

WillM87 wrote: »
    Her skin is fine, no infections or anything like that, she has a lovely shiny coat, she just stinks! She just eats dry nuts, always has. She hadn't always smelt, it's only in the last year or so she's really humming!

What brand of dog food is she on? A dogs diet I'd directly connected to smell, even if the coat is shiny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ooh she's lovely, I have a lab/staffie x as well they're very similar looking (and mine is also a very good foot warmer!)

Have you had her at the vets at all to investigate? Who recommended the shampoo? Is the smell coming directly from her skin and deffo not her breath/nails or anything, to be honest my first thought would be her food, even if you haven't changed her diet it could still be that but I would take her to the vet initially to investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

What food is she on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 WillM87

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ooh she's lovely, I have a lab/staffie x as well they're very similar looking (and mine is also a very good foot warmer!)

Have you had her at the vets at all to investigate? Who recommended the shampoo? Is the smell coming directly from her skin and deffo not her breath/nails or anything, to be honest my first thought would be her food, even if you haven't changed her diet it could still be that but I would take her to the vet initially to investigate.

I'm going to change the type of nuts she eats to see if it makes any difference. A friend of mine has had a lot of dogs over the years and swore by Johnson's! Was worth a try. It did work but the pong just comes back! She sleeps in a coiled position like a snake and when she uncoils her belly really stinks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd try a raw diet if it were me. Either that or get some Skinners. It's available from Amazon or Jollyes pet shops if you are ever in NI. There's one in Newry and one in Enniskillen.

It's very keenly priced as well. A 15kg bag is £26.49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

How often are you washing her. If its once a week that's too often imho my ckcs is washed once a month. Too often and you are removing the good oils from their skin. When the dog is outside are tey rubbng themselves in anything. Do you wash the bedding at the same time. If they have been on the same food for always it can't be that tat causing the smell

Also is it the cost that smells or the emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would def look at changing the diet, in many cases that's the cause for them stinking, a high quality dry food, Skinners, Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange etc. My boy is on Skinners, it has been years since he was last bathed, he doesn't smell whatsoever, there is no oily residue left on your hands after rubbing him. You could also try going raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

another vote for changing her food - the list that MEOKMRK91 provided above is good. Make sure you wash her bedding regularly - thats usually a good source of pongs - and are you sure shes not rolling ins something revolting when shes out walking?!? You could also try brushing her coat every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

does the dog scoot after emptying out , could be the anal glands blocked , that would make her smell

Advertisement