Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant dog

• 03-11-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My poor little Border Collie is due in two weeks. She looks so uncomfortable. Any advice as to how can make the journey a little easier for her? Also, I would like to be at home for her when she is ready to 'pop'. What signs should I be looking for rather than taking 10 precious days off work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is this your first time with a bitch to whelp?!?!
    She will start showing signs (hopefully!) - is this her first litter? - How old is she? Have you got someone experienced available to help in case of problems?
    Have you got the place where she will whelp set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its very important that she starts resting / sleeping in the area where she will be whelped for about 10 days before hand

one thing I have learned over the years the last thing you want is moving a bitch to a strange area is deff a no no when she is about to give birth

books by the thousand have been published on this subject so there is a lot to learn but having said that most bitches give birth with no complications but experience is the key to know when to intervene

if your not happy maybe have somebody with whelping knowledge on call to come and assist

best of luck hope all goes well and remember photos are always welcome on boards of new borns

and should have said a heat lamp is a must at this time of year for all newborn pups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

WhiteDaisy wrote: »
    My poor little Border Collie is due in two weeks. She looks so uncomfortable. Any advice as to how can make the journey a little easier for her? Also, I would like to be at home for her when she is ready to 'pop'. What signs should I be looking for rather than taking 10 precious days off work?

You will have to be at home for her when she whelps in case of any problems. If you are working etc you will need to take time off. You will also need to have an emergency vet on standby and often bitches whelp at night.

Have you got a whelping box preferably with rails and a heat lamp sorted yet? Even if she is in the house, a heat lamp is essential. She should really be sleeping in her whelping box now.

Other supplies you will need
    Plenty of newspapers
    Thermometer
    K-Y Jelly
    Scissors
    Small Cardboard box and heat pad/hot water bottle
    Weighing Scales
    Puppy wormer e.g. parazol (start at 2 weeks and continue every 2 weeks)

When the bitches temperature drops below 100 degrees whelping should occur in the next 24 hours. Other signs are restless behaviour, digging her bed non stop, panting. Start feeding her several small meals now rather then one/two large meals.

I would recommend you buy a book called 'Book of the bitch' and start reading it.

great post knine

the temp drop is really the most accurate indicator within 24 hours most go into labour and start delivery

have a look at this site its quite informative

http://www.debbiejensen.com/temp_chart.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

jimf wrote: »
    great post knine

the temp drop is really the most accurate indicator within 24 hours most go into labour and start delivery

This is a rectal measurement - presumably the OP isnt au fait with the procedure - better not to take a temp without someone showing her how etc beforehand???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WhiteDaisy

Hi there,

Thank you so much for all the great advice. Jess is 6 and that is her first pregnancy. She normally sleeps in our utility room on a warm blanket. Why would she need a box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you know much about breeding? Why is she only having her first litter at this age?

I suggest you start doing a lot of reading up on whelping a bitch asap!! A whelping box is the minimum you should have when whelping a bitch.

Have you got all your supplies and equipment in that's needed for the birth?

Is she on a puppy food yet?

Have you a vet on standby in case anything goes wrong?

Please please start doing some proper research on the birth.

You need to make sure you know what to expect and recognise the signs if there are any issues going wrong.

She'll be grand. Not to worry at all. Will post the pics in 20 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No she wont be grand and your attitude towards this pregancy and whelping is very worrying.
    I just hope to god nothing happens her, esp when you dont seem to be clued in on the most basics of things needed to whelp a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi there,

Thank you so much for all the great advice. Jess is 6 and that is her first pregnancy. She normally sleeps in our utility room on a warm blanket. Why would she need a box?

She would need a box to help her feel secure & safe. To prevent the puppies crawling away & getting chilled. The pig rails help stop puppies getting crushed by their mother against the sides & back of the box.
    A heat lamp is essential this time of year even for an indoor litter. Your local agricultural shop should stock them.
    A smaller cardboard box with a heat pad or warm rather then hot water bottle is used if the bitch is very restless between having puppies to keep them safe. You can also use it for puppies if you have to make an emergency trip to the vet.

Be prepared to have to take a week or more off work to help with whelping, helping puppies feed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

:( really worried about this little dog now. hope all goes well op. please dont be dismissive of these posts. so much can go wrong.

You have very little faith. With very little information you assume the worst ever. Is all optimism gone from this world? She is a healthy dog - this is something that happens and is normal and she will get all of the support she needs. Sleep well everyone and thank for all your good advice. I am now unfollowing this thread because you are turning something exciting into worry and anxiety.

whitedaisy

please listen to the first class advice u are offered 6 is very old for a first litter
    do you even know when she is due for sure 63 days is a good guide line from date of mating but this in my experience can vary from 59 to 65 days after day 65 I would be consulting with a vet asap

im sorry but I think you are too laid back about the whole issue and this post really has me concerned

older bitches can be great mothers but may need a hand with feeding the pups etc

two of the biggest needs of any pup are heat and groceries as in mams milk and some older bitches can struggle to provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Would have been healthier to spay. Way too many unwanted dogs north , south , east and west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

thank for all your good advice.

Thread is now closed if you are no longer participating OP. You received some excellent advice from very experienced posters and I hope it helps you in the coming weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement