Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting dog into kennel

• 03-11-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

We have a 2 year old bulldog that has stayed in the house since he was a pup, but due to having my sisters young children staying for a couple of hours on end, he had to be relocated outside.

Problem is, we bought him a kennel and he won't even look at it, obviously doesn't know what it is and still stands out in the rain.

What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I think that a dog associates it's bed/home thru habit. I can't figure from your post if its a permanent move outside or simply for the couple of hours while the kids are over?
    Anyway, assuming it's permanent.... did you introduce him to the kennel over a period of time, maybe for short periods? It's possible that the reason he's standing in the rain is because he thinks he should be inside, on his usual bed. Is there no compromise that you could make to restrict hIs movement inside ? There are a number of threads about crate training on this forum. Also its getting colder possibly not the best time to introduce him to outdoor living!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you confine him indoors in a crate pen or does he have to be outside? I can't stop laughing at your profile pic btw! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No it's not a permanent move and he has been outside a good bit during the day over the last few months. There isnt really an option to put him anywhere in the house, he usually stays within two rooms but theyre the rooms we always use. The kennel is for shelter from the rain.

He won't be sleeping there.

As for the avatar, shifty eyes!

Lol

20131103_144512.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

That kennel looks too small for him? Maybe that's why he won't use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It might be the angle of the photo, but my first thought was the kennel looks too small. What are the dimensions?

He's gorgeous btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought it looked a bit small to tbh..will he go into it at all? You might need to practice with treats/toys getting him comfortable with going in and out for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

yeah it does look like the opening is small, also partly due to the raised floor, can the floor be lowered, altho it's best a dog is up off the cold ground but if he won't be there all day or sleeping there maybe lower floor to make the gap bigger.
    But in general it looks to small compared to the dog.

Make his new area a happy place, i.e. put in a few of his favourite toys, a warm blanket to lie on, give him his dinner in his new kennel so that he associates his kennel with good things. A nice piece of meat when he goes in there an lots of praise when he does.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Does he have a towel/rag/blanket that he sleeps on in the house? It might help if you put that towel/rag/blanket in the kennel and see if that entices him inside.

Also I agree that the opening looks too small for him

As for the meat he gets absolutely nothing bar his (expensive) food. We had a bit of trouble with him before re other foods, lets just say they dont agree with his system!

Ya his favourite blanket is called the leather couch that he has a grove built into.

Re the size, no I said the same when I saw the photo. He fits into very well (threw in a few bits of food) but it does look odd in that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

Prob just used to the good life so :)

anniehoo wrote: »
    It might be the angle of the photo, but my first thought was the kennel looks too small. What are the dimensions?

He's gorgeous btw.

He's full of himself!

IMG_82918429382792.jpg

IMG_82921963839461.jpg

IMG_101243593036474.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

OP I don't know how much space you have on that decking but you could put up some sort of shelter such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Event-Shelter-12/dp/B00691GL2A/ then the dog can sit looking in at you and still be out of the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

oh lord he is gorgeous! the spoilt rip! he's probably wondering how you can possibly be getting along and enjoying yourselves inside without him. id say he reckons that if he sits and stares in at you mournfully for long enough, you'll relent and let him in.

can only reiterate what the others have said, warm blankets, a stuffed kong and check the kennel size. maybe take him for a good long walk before your visitors come so he'll be tired and will be happier to curl up in his kennel and sleep.

really really smashing dog op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emulligan

Judging by your picture, he is not too happy to be ouside, I'd say he would probably get used to it if he got wet enough times. But the days are getting colder and it is a bad time to train him to outside. He is adorable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Have you tried closing the blinds so that we can see you? When he can no longer see you and see in, he might give up and explore other options?
    It might also be any idea to put him out occasionally when the kids aren't there so that he gets used to the idea that this happens and he's just going to have to suck it up.

Advertisement