Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Balla

Options
  • 03-11-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Couple 55/60 seriously looking at a house in Balla and considering moving. Our house is up for sale in Wicklow, so should be on the move shortly, but really would love some advice as I dont drive, my partner does, but I worry if he was unable to drive. Hes a taxi driver and would be looking for any sort of work locally, I am also wondering about public transport from Balla?.. What services are available?.. See there is a doctors practice, but wondering about vets?.. have 3 dogs and a cat.. Would also very much love to get involved in the community, Im a veterinary nurse so interested in any voluntary work........ my email is no email address thanks if anyone would be kind enough to respond..Also, is there broadband locally?...Thanks a million..x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

http://balla.ie/

I'm finding it hard to describe Balla, its got its own uniqueness but at the same time holds a lot of the characteristics of any other small town of village in Ireland. It is popular with workers in the towns of Castlebar and Claremorris. To be fair to it it's in a very central location when your comparing it to other towns in Mayo. Ten to fifteen mins drive from Castlebar it has a healty community spirit with a lot of active society's. The amount of houses in the town has probably doubled in the last 15 years with the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Balla is a nice village bang smack in the middle of Mayo. About 15 mins from castlebar and the same from Claremorris. At one point it was famous for the width of its main street-LOL.

Just anecdotally from what I see on Facebooks friends pages, there seems to be a good community spirit in town. Theres several pubs that do a brisk trade, have trad music , darts and show soccer games.Balla ecen has its own secondary school

Theres a GAA club that seems to be struggling of late, theres a golf course does quite well. Thats within walking distance of the village-actually its right in the village

A couple of years ago there was a problem with anti social behaviour in one of the estates...dont know what the outcome of that was, but havent heard much about it lately. I would make sure there arent too many vacant houses in the estate you are looking at. Health Board could put anyone in next door to you.

I looked at the Bus Eireann website and was surprised at how many times a day you could catch a connection:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753063-052.pdf

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Why Balla?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

whitey1 wrote: »
    Balla is a nice village bang smack in the middle of Mayo. About 15 mins from castlebar and the same from Claremorris. At one point it was famous for the width of its main street-LOL.

Just anecdotally from what I see on Facebooks friends pages, there seems to be a good community spirit in town. Theres several pubs that do a brisk trade, have trad music , darts and show soccer games.Balla ecen has its own secondary school

Theres a GAA club that seems to be struggling of late, theres a golf course does quite well. Thats within walking distance of the village-actually its right in the village

A couple of years ago there was a problem with anti social behaviour in one of the estates...dont know what the outcome of that was, but havent heard much about it lately. I would make sure there arent too many vacant houses in the estate you are looking at. Health Board could put anyone in next door to you.

I looked at the Bus Eireann website and was surprised at how many times a day you could catch a connection:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360753063-052.pdf

Hope that helps

The golf course is a par 3 course and it certainly is not in the middle of the village or within walking distance. About 2 miles outside town, beside the GAA Grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Balla is perfectly located in Mayo, There is good value to be had in property at the moment and you have plenty of local services on your door step. 2 shops, filling station, post office, off licence, Doctors and medical centre all within walking distance of any of the estates.

Plenty of activities and clubs in the area and all would welcome a volunteer with open arms. There would I imagine be a small amount of taxi work in Balla but more in Castlebar.

Its a lovely clean village, with little or no anti social behaviour there. The par 3 (its a proper par 3 and not a pitch and putt) is about a 12-15m walk from the village centre and there are plenty of nice nature walks in the area as well.

No vet in the village but plenty in the surrounding towns.

will happily answer anymore Qs that you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Mod Note-You've been warned previously about this, you have ignored it.
    Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Something done recently in Balla:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTmrJp_zB0#t=148

Advertisement