Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Limerick People Give Up Your Seat On The Bus For An OAP

• 03-11-2013 1:07pm

i was digusted when 4 OAPs got on the 312 going into town and only i & my brother gave up our seats where 2 OAPs had to stand

the bus was mostly full of young people

and very close to us was two men aged 30-35 didnt even think about giving up there seat or anyone else for that matter

wtf is wrong with people felt so bad for the other 2 OAPs as they were times they nearly fell :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

If the bus was full of young people, why single out the two guys in their thirties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I would have been brought up to always offer my seat to an elderly person, would always offer it today and would encourage my teenager to do the same

Was in Italy a couple of years ago on a packed train and offered my seat to a man who was clearly in his 70's and he refused it despite me continually offering it, seemingly the older Italian males see it as a slight on their masculinity to accept the offer, or so I was told, made me feel odd sitting there while he was standing for what wasn't a short journey either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Honestly i think Irish people are pretty decent about offering seats up to older/less able people. My brother and I were the only ones who did it for a frail lady and older gentleman on the Underground recently - we got some odd looks. I have also done it on the Metro and Subway with mixed reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Parchment wrote: »
    Honestly i think Irish people are pretty decent about offering seats up to older/less able people. My brother and I were the only ones who did it for a frail lady and older gentleman on the Underground recently - we got some odd looks. I have also done it on the Metro and Subway with mixed reactions.

I beg to disagree on this one. I would of course always give up my seat for an elderly person or a lady who is pregnant.

However, some years ago when I myself was pregnant attended a funeral Mass and had to stand for most of it and no one offered me a seat. I could have done with the seat too considering I was at the time only two days away from giving birth. I was really taken aback that no one offered me a seat despite being heavily pregnant.

I think manners and respect have in fact disappeared to a certain degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Some old people would be wise to learn some manners too, queuing to get on a bus and they are pushing and shoving trying to get on ahead of everyone else, thinking its their good given right.

In saying that i would offer my seat up to a pregnant lady or elderly person if i thought they needed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I rarely used buses when I was in Limerick but I was brought up to offer my seat to an elderly person.

Here in Vancouver, the transit company make it very clear everywhere that you should offer your seat to an elderly or disabled person. I have seen a guy that was just sitting down on the train and a woman walked in and told him to get up literally 2 seconds after boarding the train, he didn't even get the chance to offer it, and another older guy hit his bag off a young guys head and he hit his head off the pole and the older guy told him it was his own f*cking fault!

From that comparison, I think the majority of Limerick people are very decent to offer their seat of their own accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Kev_2012 wrote: »

Here in Vancouver, the transit company make it very clear everywhere that you should offer your seat to an elderly or disabled person. I have seen a guy that was just sitting down on the train and a woman walked in and told him to get up literally 2 seconds after boarding the train, he didn't even get the chance to offer it, and another older guy hit his bag off a young guys head and he hit his head off the pole and the older guy told him it was his own f*cking fault!

They'd both be told to fu(k of by me, I've paid for my seat just like they did, I'm just as entitled to sit as they are, I will always give up a seat to the elderly but nobody has a right to behave like that.

My own experience: sitting on the bus, an elderly lady gets on and decides she wants my seat, starts to make a scene, shouting about how young people today have no manners etc, I ignore her, then when I got to my stop I picked up my crutches and hobbled passed her. The old bag didn't even have to decency to look ashamed. She actually pushed past me to get the seat I'd just left.

Op there can quite often be reasons for a young person/man not giving up his seat, don't be too quick to judge.

Advertisement